My first craft fair is Saturday!

aptommo

It's just a local athletic booster event in the school cafeteria but they had about 1000 people last year and have 75 vendors this year and nobody else selling candles or melts so I may have some success. I figured it would be good to just dip my toe on and see how it goes. I've read the threads here on all the suggestions and tips and I feel I'm as prepared as I can be! I'm sure it'll be a learning process but fingers crossed I sell a little bit! I've been preparing for well over a month now! If anyone is interested in offering suggestions, I can list what I'm taking and tell you my setup. I don't have a display ready to show you because I'm renting a table for this first event. I'm really nervous but really excited too!

• Like 2

I'm hoping to get good enough at this to do the spring home and garden show and wedding show, although I may be reaching too high too soon. They get over 15k visitors to those type of events and the costs to set up are not cheap for me. But we'll see how this goes and then re-evaluate that plan! :D

• Like 1

I agree the smaller craft shows are the good ones to get your feet wet. By the time you finish this first one you will be loaded with ideas for your next event. Also, talk to the other venders and ask questions about other shows that might be good for your product. Additionally, there are usually scouts from other shows that come out with registration forms for their upcoming craft shows so you never know, you may get invited to another event coming up.

My best advice for a newbie is plan what you want to sell and how much you are bringing so you have an idea of what will be on your table. Make your display as attractive as possible, yet clean, and easy to find things. Simple, clean, attractive is always best! Don't forget to smile, engage your customers, or at the very least say hello to each and every customer, dress nice and match your table colors if you can. Like if you have a green tablecloth and white labels dress in green and white. Customers will buy from the person they feel comfortable around and who looks professional and has a clean table. Also, fill your table with as much product as you can that looks nice. Customers will walk right past a table that has hardly anything on it.

Try to relax and enjoy yourself. Bring plenty of fluids and something to eat even if they have an open cafeteria or food trucks. You could get busy and not have time to run out for lunch or a drink of water. 

Lastly, know your product backwards and forwards. A knowledgable seller is one a customer will feel confident to buy from because they pick that up from you. I always have my customers tell me I know all about my soap. Well, I do, and why I use this oil, or that milk, additive, etc. This gives a buyer confidence that you know what you are selling and what goes into it. If you love your products it shows.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Candybee Thank you so much! Yeah a lot of what you just said was in the threads I read before so I think I'm pretty much set. I'm renting the table but have a table cover that matches my logo/theme. I have a foamboard with easel for display of my logo and website/email. I have all the bags done up and ready to load in the car in bins. I bought little chalkboards like you see sometimes at tables for weddings to put fragrance names and prices. I poured little 1oz cups with each fragrance since all my molds are in bags, I don't want them opening and closing to smell. I have a set of them just to have out to show the mold shape. I have a plexiglass stand with my price list printed that has a business card holder in it as well. I got a table by the entrance with electric and plan to take a melt warmer and light the area up to entice people with my fragrances! I already have water and snacks ready in my car. I just have to get it all laid out like you mentioned and remember this is fun! If nothing else, I'll learn what not to do the next time! :)

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, aptommo said:

@Candybee Thank you so much! Yeah a lot of what you just said was in the threads I read before so I think I'm pretty much set. I'm renting the table but have a table cover that matches my logo/theme. I have a foamboard with easel for display of my logo and website/email. I have all the bags done up and ready to load in the car in bins. I bought little chalkboards like you see sometimes at tables for weddings to put fragrance names and prices. I poured little 1oz cups with each fragrance since all my molds are in bags, I don't want them opening and closing to smell. I have a set of them just to have out to show the mold shape. I have a plexiglass stand with my price list printed that has a business card holder in it as well. I got a table by the entrance with electric and plan to take a melt warmer and light the area up to entice people with my fragrances! I already have water and snacks ready in my car. I just have to get it all laid out like you mentioned and remember this is fun! If nothing else, I'll learn what not to do the next time! :)

Sounds like you gave this a lot of thought and planning. If you get a chance take photos and post them and others while you are there. I would love to see your set up.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, aptommo said:

Knock em dead Aptomo!   Sounds like you have it all together.

And perfect advice from Candybee!

Good luck and MLOM!

Trappeur

• Like 2

Good luck!  Take notes of things you want to change/adjust while at the show.  Sounds like you've done your homework now to just do it and enjoy yourself.  I love doing my shows.  I like the interaction and love telling people about what I like doing most. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is so exciting!  Great suggestions from Candybee, as usual, but it sounds like you're prepared.  The only thing I would add is a small fishing tackle box filled with pens, paper clips, extension cord, double-sided tape, scissors, wire, Advil, a tampon, breath mints, Xacto knife, hand sanitizer, Kleenex, etc, etc.  I took my tackle box to every show and can't tell you how many times I turned to it in times of strife.  As you branch out and go to bigger shows, you never know what you're going to get when you reach your booth no matter how many times you read the small print on the application forms.  At the Philly Gift Show, I ended up having to hang background drapes with zip ties!  Try not to sit too much either.  Be on your feet as much as possible.  You'll need a bubble bath when you get home.  *bubblebath*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Arch Rock said:

This is so exciting!  Great suggestions from Candybee, as usual, but it sounds like you're prepared.  The only thing I would add is a small fishing tackle box filled with pens, paper clips, extension cord, double-sided tape, scissors, wire, Advil, a tampon, breath mints, Xacto knife, hand sanitizer, Kleenex, etc, etc.  I took my tackle box to every show and can't tell you how many times I turned to it in times of strife.  As you branch out and go to bigger shows, you never know what you're going to get when you reach your booth no matter how many times you read the small print on the application forms.  At the Philly Gift Show, I ended up having to hang background drapes with zip ties!  Try not to sit too much either.  Be on your feet as much as possible.  You'll need a bubble bath when you get home.  *bubblebath*

Yeah I am already preparing for the after effects! :D

Great idea on the tacklebox. I have an extra 6qt bin perfect for adding the things you suggested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arch Rock said:

Add to that list electric tape. Wind bent my tent trusses and had to borrow some strong tape and scissors to hold it together. I also used a small piece of wood to act as a splint and set the truss then taped over the wood splint and truss with lots of heavy duty electrical tape.

Some other things I always bring are an assortment of long and short bungee cords and a bag of the large sized binder clips. You'd be surprised how handy these 2 items can be. I use them for one thing or another at every show. I've used bungee cords to hold up signs, strap down things, and helped other vendors who needed to borrow one for one thing or another. And binder clips come in handy for all kinds of things you want to hold in place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, aptommo said:

It's just a local athletic booster event in the school cafeteria but they had about 1000 people last year and have 75 vendors this year and nobody else selling candles or melts so I may have some success. I figured it would be good to just dip my toe on and see how it goes. I've read the threads here on all the suggestions and tips and I feel I'm as prepared as I can be! I'm sure it'll be a learning process but fingers crossed I sell a little bit! I've been preparing for well over a month now! If anyone is interested in offering suggestions, I can list what I'm taking and tell you my setup. I don't have a display ready to show you because I'm renting a table for this first event. I'm really nervous but really excited too!

I will be good practice. Being apprehensive is totally normal. Even the the top athletes get nervous (butterflies in the stomach) before the game. The reality is that none of the people passing through that day will know it's your first time, unless you tell them. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MilosCandles said:

Be sure to bring some sort of cart / Wagon / Dollie to easily move your items in and out of the location.

Yes that may have been the best tip I read in the threads. I have a dolly all set from my dad that can carry upright or down like a wagon type. 

• Like 2

OMG! A dolly is a must have! I've had mine for over 12 yrs and use it all the time. Not just for the craft shows and markets I do but to haul boxes and supplies and products around my house from room to room or from car to inside my house. Imagine carrying a dozen loaded cases of candles by hand. Yes a dolly is a must!

• Like 3

One thing I used to do when I did shows is I bought a pretty little guest book /comment book that I had sitting on the table for people to sign in and leave their comments on.   Actually in my guest book I made columns like this:

Name/Address/Email Address/comments

Every time someone would stop by at my booth, I would tell them to sign my guest register and I would send pictures and any pertinent info to them as I had their email address.   You would be surprized at how just about everyone would gladly sign in and leave all their beautiful comments.   I got a lot of business and could followup to them with just their email.

This is just a suggestion.

Trappeur

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

One thing I used to do when I did shows is I bought a pretty little guest book /comment book that I had sitting on the table for people to sign in and leave their comments on.   Actually in my guest book I made columns like this:

Name/Address/Email Address/comments

Every time someone would stop by at my booth, I would tell them to sign my guest register and I would send pictures and any pertinent info to them as I had their email address.   You would be surprized at how just about everyone would gladly sign in and leave all their beautiful comments.   I got a lot of business and could followup to them with just their email.

This is just a suggestion.

Trappeur

I was actually just thinking about having something like this. Then I thought maybe I'd put a spreadsheet on my tablet for people to fill out since handwriting is so tricky to read a lot of times. 

1 hour ago, aptommo said:

I was actually just thinking about having something like this. Then I thought maybe I'd put a spreadsheet on my tablet for people to fill out since handwriting is so tricky to read a lot of times. 

Sounds good.

Trappeur

• Like 1

Treat your customers with respect...remember you worked weeks for this chance, Greet each one with a smile ..if you can't serve them immediately then tell them you will be happy to help them in a moment. 

Set your display up in a manor that would make Martha stewart proud! No one will shop at a stand that looks thrown together. It doesn't matter that your in a high school gym or the Ritz. Have some flowers or greenery ...and make the air around you smell good ...if you have a chair...try not to use it too much ..and keep smiling ..Have fun...keep smiling

I'm sure this is basic stuff you are already aware of....just seems every year you see poor venders with no selling skills...and really it's so simple...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Sunday said:

....just seems every year you see poor venders with no selling skills...and really it's so simple...

I am always flabbergasted at vendors who sit and totally ignore customers. Think about it... would you want to spend your money on someone who ignores you? I wouldn't either.

I like to greet each customer with a greeting and a smile. Since I sell soap I can break the ice by saying something like Need soap today? I always get a smile back with that.. Tell them about your specials, give them facts about your candles. Write down all your selling points and memorize them so you can draw from memory to point them out to your customer.

Re specials... they WORK!! Do a 2 for or a 3 or 4 for special if you can. I have a special on everything. My soap is $5 each, my soap special is 5 for $20. I do that because I want the $20 and it gives people a chance to try out my different soaps. I also let them know how much they saved today by buying such and such. People love bargains and what they perceive as a bargain. Plus during checkout you can remind them how much they saved. Just some of the tricks I learned for sales marketing.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I am always flabbergasted at vendors who sit and totally ignore customers. Think about it... would you want to spend your money on someone who ignores you? I wouldn't either.

I like to greet each customer with a greeting and a smile. Since I sell soap I can break the ice by saying something like Need soap today? I always get a smile back with that.. Tell them about your specials, give them facts about your candles. Write down all your selling points and memorize them so you can draw from memory to point them out to your customer.

Re specials... they WORK!! Do a 2 for or a 3 or 4 for special if you can. I have a special on everything. My soap is $5 each, my soap special is 5 for $20. I do that because I want the $20 and it gives people a chance to try out my different soaps. I also let them know how much they saved today by buying such and such. People love bargains and what they perceive as a bargain. Plus during checkout you can remind them how much they saved. Just some of the tricks I learned for sales marketing.

I feel really good about all this because I already had most of my bags set for $5 and buy 4 get one free so same as you just said, just worded differently! :)

6 hours ago, Sunday said:

Treat your customers with respect...remember you worked weeks for this chance, Greet each one with a smile ..if you can't serve them immediately then tell them you will be happy to help them in a moment. 

Set your display up in a manor that would make Martha stewart proud! No one will shop at a stand that looks thrown together. It doesn't matter that your in a high school gym or the Ritz. Have some flowers or greenery ...and make the air around you smell good ...if you have a chair...try not to use it too much ..and keep smiling ..Have fun...keep smiling

I'm sure this is basic stuff you are already aware of....just seems every year you see poor venders with no selling skills...and really it's so simple...

Important details that we often forget. Good advice.

• Like 1

I didn't want to keep taking over that person's thread about the wax so I'll post here. I got my first Etsy sale today! I finally gave in and did the Promoted Listings and it paid off. 328 Impressions, 12 Clicks, 1 sale. And I already poured the order so it has more time to cure since tomorrow is my craft fair. I have everything in my car to go but my actual melts in the bins. I wasn't sure I should leave them in the cold overnight. Wish me luck!! I'll take lots of pics!

• Like 3