Coconut wax discolored after burn and wick suggestions.

lan

• 2 weeks later...

@pughaus Its going a lot better. Still working on wicking properly. I used wick size: htp 93 and eco 8. So far Ive had only slight discoloration with eco but barely noticeable and no shrooming with either wick. They both have a nice scent throw, except I'm no where close to a full melt pool with both of my recent tests. 

The photos below are with the virgin coconut wax from lab & co.

Im waiting on the same fragrance to arrive from this last testing since all I had previously bought was a sample size, so I can hopefully get one successful candle!😅

Jars measure 3 1/2" by 3" holding 8 oz of wax.

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

Try htp 104 - 105. Do a tester with out wick, then use skewer to poke hole. Insert section of test wick. Will make it easier for you. Also since wax and fragrance expensive just do half a container full to test. Once you get close do a full container of wax and fragrance.

Also you should test fragrances with high vanillin content versus one with zero. Vanillas always turn color, nature of the beast.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NightLight said:

Try htp 104 - 105. Do a tester with out wick, then use skewer to poke hole. Insert section of test wick.

This is a good trick and I do it too. Just want to mention, for anyone reading this post, be sure to insert wick sections/pieces in the correct direction. Keep track of the end that was attached to the tab. Some wicks are directional and some aren't, to be on the safe side just assume all wicks are directional unless you want to look up each wick to find out.  Inserting a wick in the wrong direction can give unexpected results, I find that out the hard way. :P

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

I had a pretty much perfect burn using htp 93 in a 3" x 3" dia jar with that wax with an evergreen FO.  Test burns of 4 hr+ intervals and no wick trimming at all between burns.  It will take 2-3 burns to get a full edge to edge MP but by the last 1/3 of the burn it cleared the sides completely. 
I agree with Nightlight- I usually start testing with about 60% full jars and unsecured wicks.  

• Like 1

Twist your HTP wick before inserting, it really helps with that one sided burn, the other side will catch up.  Coconut is softer so does tend to tunnel first as already said.  I think you need to judge more on burn 3.  8% fo seems high to me but then others are having luck with it, I never had luck at more than 6% actually got less HT with over 6%.

• Like 1

Lab & Co recommends 8-12% for their fragrances. Im currently at 10% but will try bringing it back down to 6-8% especially with this new wax. 

I will definitely try twisting the wick, very interesting. 

Also, I've been trimming the wick before burning every time. Do most of you not trim between test burns?

Thank you all for help!

1579453929_ScreenShot2019-01-31at2_14_27PM.thumb.png.7b4d5980574f83a47d60ea709cce5678.png

personally I don't trim wicks when I test.  I keep testing until I get to a wick/wax/fo combo that can do well (maybe not perfectly but fine) with no trimming.

I tried one FO from Lab & Co - Honeysuckle Leather- it was STRONG at 7% .   At the prices they charge for FOs they better throw at under 8% ;)  Really, they should throw at 6% or less at those prices IMO.  I think they have an interest in encouraging you to use more FO but I'm not convinced you need to.

• 3 months later...

I was slso wasting alot of product on finding the right wick.  Then i saw a you tube video which saved me money and time.  Buy a aluminum pan fill it half way up with wax, mentally section it off and place 4, 6 or 8 different wicks, depending on size of pan, far enough apart to see 4 hrs of results. Once solid, light wicks and check wax pool every hr. x4. Dont forget to label pan top n bottom. And make a diagram on paper of where you put each size/type of wick.  I just put my jar over top to see which is the best wick for that jar. I now need to do this with cocnut wax. 

1 hour ago, Janet R said:

I was slso wasting alot of product on finding the right wick.  Then i saw a you tube video which saved me money and time.  Buy a aluminum pan fill it half way up with wax, mentally section it off and place 4, 6 or 8 different wicks, depending on size of pan, far enough apart to see 4 hrs of results. Once solid, light wicks and check wax pool every hr. x4. Dont forget to label pan top n bottom. And make a diagram on paper of where you put each size/type of wick.  I just put my jar over top to see which is the best wick for that jar. I now need to do this with cocnut wax. 

We have a section of the forum for wax and wick tests.  It’s not quite a slam dunk since so much depends on the particular lot of wax, the fragrance and the container but it at least let’s you know which wicks will fail miserably versus those that deserve a true test. 

If the jar top top fits the melt pool of the pan test, it will almost 100% guaranteed be too big for the candle (of course the FO plays a big role in this). 

5 hours ago, Janet R said:

New to the forum. Thanks for the info.

We are really glad to have you! 

Here’s the link o the wax and wick tests completed so far.

https://www.craftserver.com/forum/68-wax-and-wick-tests/

my dream is to complete at least the top 10 most popular retail waxes in pans, followed up with 3-5 popular containers to show how they all differ. Can also extend to 1-2 common fragrance types to show how the wick requirements change.

this is a huge project, but one I’m happy to tackle if people are interested enough. Thank goodness I love candles and live for a good challenge. 

That would be amazing! Your understanding of the whole process is vast!

I also see you writing a complete candle making book or offering a

ebooks. I for one would buy whatever you publish, I know many here would as well. In your spare time?🌸

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, CandleRush said:

That would be amazing! Your understanding of the whole process is vast!

I also see you writing a complete candle making book or offering a

ebooks. I for one would buy whatever you publish, I know many here would as well. In your spare time?🌸

You are too kind. Thanks for making my day ❤️