Lab & Co coconut wax

pughaus

20 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Okay so who said easy beads is discontinued?? And how do we know for sure coco 83 is easy beads as so many people get different answers when asking 

I’m so flaming mad right now - I want to blood curdle scream - I have worked with easy beads for the better part of a year blending and finding the perfect mix and now I’m reading this BS!!!

😡😡🤬🤬🤬🤬

they have been OOS many times on the easy beads but If they discontinue it I don’t even know what I’m going to do 

I have some calls to make today To see what answer I get 

I'm thinking it's just out of stock everywhere, not necessarily "permanently" discontinued.  All the suppliers note that it is expected back in stock around late Jan.  However, that happened in November too and 2 weeks became 3 weeks and then 4 ...  

• Like 1

I spoke with a rep at CalCandle yesterday and he said that Coco83 will be back in stock in about two weeks.  They have a pre-order list of clients that will get their order first and then the rest of us who are waiting will be able to order.  

This hot topic is making me think we need another wholesaler...All Seasons Wax is available for USA distribution if anyone knows of someone in that line of business.  They’d be popular!😆

58 minutes ago, moonshine said:

And cal candle shows coco 83 in slabs not bead form 

my slabs from c & s were marked coco83 and easy beads was not - so add that to the confusion also 

Cal candle gets coco83 in bead form, then melts into slabs. Accublend is the maker and said they make the coconut for C&S. I’m assuming that would be easy beads. C&S just leaves it in the bead form.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pughaus said:

I'm thinking it's just out of stock everywhere, not necessarily "permanently" discontinued.  All the suppliers note that it is expected back in stock around late Jan.  However, that happened in November too and 2 weeks became 3 weeks and then 4 ...  

@pughaus are you planning to stick with the coconut wax from Lab & Co? I don't know what to do! I want to find one without paraffin, but it sounds like other brands might have paraffin too. I thought Coco-83 was an option, but it sounds like an unreliable source at this point. Like others, I wish All Seasons coconut wax was available in the US! 

I went through all of my old emails and can't find a response from a company saying their coconut wax did not contain paraffin. I thought it may have been Northwood's wax, but I couldn't find an email to back it up. Maybe it was from an online chat or maybe I was thinking of something else entirely. Sorry for the confusion.

@jeremy  yes, the Lab Co wax is the unicorn of waxes that I've been trying to find or make out of cocowax blends since I started making candles.  I am OK with some highly refined para in it since I'm sure that ingredient contributes to the great performance of the wax.  Until I can figure out a way to duplicate it, and as long as it's available (cause, really who knows?) I'll use it.   
All Seasons sounds like a panacea now, but I bet it has some issues like all veg waxes. And we don't know the cost.  And I have to wonder if it isn't worse from an environmental standpoint, to ship candle wax across the globe than it is use a little food grade paraffin to improve a domestically sourced wax blend. 

Edited by pughaus
  • Like 2

I'm really confused now unless Accu-Blend changed their formula.  I tried their coco-soy wax many years back and didn't like it.  Coco83 I liked (not loved) but def different from Accu-Blend of prior.  Accu-Blend used to be in So Cal and had a small store in their warehouse, I haven't been there in many years but they may still be in So Cal and you could buy direct from them.

3 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I'm really confused now unless Accu-Blend changed their formula.  I tried their coco-soy wax many years back and didn't like it.  Coco83 I liked (not loved) but def different from Accu-Blend of prior.  Accu-Blend used to be in So Cal and had a small store in their warehouse, I haven't been there in many years but they may still be in So Cal and you could buy direct from them.

What's the part that is confusing you? Accu-Blend is still in the same place, and they make the Coco83, but it isn't being produced right now, or they are sold out. You can buy from them direct. You have to order 2000lbs of wax to buy from them if they ship it. I think most of these people are not in California to go into the store to buy in smaller quantities. 

Anyone know if Accu-Blend imports its materials? I recall having read somewhere that they import a variety of ingredients from Asia.

All Seasons Wax would be fantastic, especially if it's not produced domestically. I've lost faith in US wax producers.

Until Coco83 is back in stock, here's a short list of other coconut and coconut blend waxes:

Coconut-Apricot blend - Swans. The brand appears to be Ceda-Serica, a trademark of Calwax. It does contain some paraffin.

Coconut-Apricot blend - Candlewic. See above (the SDS confirms it).

Calwax CCP1 - Swans. Coconut/paraffin blend.

C6 - TFC.

Ultra Wax - General Wax.

SC-21 - Cal Candle Supply. Coconut "hybrid" blend.

NatureWax Coconut 1 - Fillmore. Cargill brand.

All Natural Coconut Container Wax - Swans. No idea what brand but it sounds similar to the coconut oil blend Candlewic had. Needs a hardener.

Did I forget any?

Is the texture of the Lab & Co waxes similar to coco83? The pictures make it look a bit chalky/fudgy... like chunks of cocoa or shea butter.

Edited by Kerven

17 hours ago, Jeana said:

What's the part that is confusing you? Accu-Blend is still in the same place, and they make the Coco83, but it isn't being produced right now, or they are sold out. You can buy from them direct. You have to order 2000lbs of wax to buy from them if they ship it. I think most of these people are not in California to go into the store to buy in smaller quantities. 

the waxes seem totally different (Accu-blends old vs Coco83), but then they didn't call it Coco83 back then so I'm thinking they changed their formula since I used it years ago, it is not the same wax.

7 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

the waxes seem totally different (Accu-blends old vs Coco83), but then they didn't call it Coco83 back then so I'm thinking they changed their formula since I used it years ago, it is not the same wax.

It would be nice to be able to look that up but accublend's website, which was a hot mess when it was up, is now gone:  http://www.accu-blend.com/    Gotta love the supply chain we have to rely on - geez.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pughaus said:

It would be nice to be able to look that up but accublend's website, which was a hot mess when it was up, is now gone:  http://www.accu-blend.com/    Gotta love the supply chain we have to rely on - geez.

I know I tried again yesterday.  I did find that they are still in Azusa which is where they used to have a store front.  I lost faith in them a while back which is too bad because I'm sure they have reworked all of their waxes.  The fact that everything seems to be out of stock makes me think they are either going bye bye or they are reformulating again.  I look for local suppliers and they are so close!

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pughaus said:

Good grief, sure enough, but their facebook page is still there for what that's worth. Hopefully they are just in the middle of improving things all around, including the "hot mess" of a site. LOL. That phrase, "hot mess", cracks me up. Is there going to be anybody we can buy candle wax from? Dang. Taking a pottery class is starting to sound real good about now.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling, oh no what do we do??? *shudder*

Edited by Laura C

On 1/12/2019 at 5:05 PM, pughaus said:

@jeremy  yes, the Lab Co wax is the unicorn of waxes that I've been trying to find or make out of cocowax blends since I started making candles.  I am OK with some highly refined para in it since I'm sure that ingredient contributes to the great performance of the wax.  Until I can figure out a way to duplicate it, and as long as it's available (cause, really who knows?) I'll use it.   
All Seasons sounds like a panacea now, but I bet it has some issues like all veg waxes. And we don't know the cost.  And I have to wonder if it isn't worse from an environmental standpoint, to ship candle wax across the globe than it is use a little food grade paraffin to improve a domestically sourced wax blend. 

You make an excellent point about the environmental trade off. I'm going to stick with Lab & Co too, despite the paraffin. As I read through these posts, it seems like many of the coconut wax blends use some paraffin as well. It's the best wax I've tested so far and (knock on wood) the Wooden Wick company seems to be pretty stable.

Yeah, this whole thing is crazy. I attempted to call Accublend today and the number is disconnected. Went to website and received a "404 error" aka website doesn't exist. Candle and supplies is where I normally order 83 from. I called today and expressed my concern with the lack of transparency going on from the suppliers and manufacturers. You have CandleSupply saying they have no estimated return on the 83 and you have Candle and supplies saying they received an email this week saying they would get a shipment the end if this week.  At this point what do you do? I'm seriously thinking about ordering from Lab and Co. This is just frustrating. :(

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On November 24, 2018 at 12:49 PM, pughaus said:

So true.  I really bought this as a temporary coco substitute to blend with soy but it's worth considering the true cost of time spent tweaking and repairing candles made with a finicky and inconsistent wax.  Yes this is almost double the cost of my usual blend but if it takes less time, needs less FO and produces a superior finished product it may be worth it.  But that's a lot of "ifs"...   We'll see.  

Hi pughaus, with all the recent "turmoil" brewing with Coconut 83 are you satisfied with Lab and Co's virgin coco wax to the point that you would make them your main supplier? I'm currently on the fence and figuring cost difference between the 2 other main suppliers I've gotten coconut 83 from. I had planned to launch my business in the summer but there is so much uncertainty around this coconut wax I'm not sure. 

I have tested both 464 and 210 and not satisfied with the inconsistencies with the two of them. I've also tested IGI 6006 with HTP, CDN, ECO and LX wicks and was totally not impressed with the black soot. I know soy candles can soot too but when dealing with just straight soy or coconut soy, I rarely saw soot.

@Bambi I for one am satisfied enough where they have actually become my main candle supplier. This is now where I purchase my wax (Coco Creme) and wood wicks. I'm also testing some of their fragrances at the moment as well. 

For anyone thinking about trying their wax, I tested both the Coco Creme and Coco Apricot blends. I prefered the Coco Creme with soy compared to the apricot blend. Even though they claim these waxes don't sweat as much as 100% soy wax, I find that not to be the case. The apricot blend is softer than the soy blend and sweats more easily as well.

Jeremy 

1 hour ago, JeremyM said:

@Bambi I for one am satisfied enough where they have actually become my main candle supplier. This is now where I purchase my wax (Coco Creme) and wood wicks. I'm also testing some of their fragrances at the moment as well. 

For anyone thinking about trying their wax, I tested both the Coco Creme and Coco Apricot blends. I prefered the Coco Creme with soy compared to the apricot blend. Even though they claim these waxes don't sweat as much as 100% soy wax, I find that not to be the case. The apricot blend is softer than the soy blend and sweats more easily as well.

Jeremy 

@JeremyM  thanks for your input. I will place an order today. Do you find yourself using the coco creme by itself or are you adding additional soy to it?

I have ordered 9 different fragrances from them to test and im really impressed with them. 

Edited by Bambi
Wanted to tag the OP

On 1/17/2019 at 12:13 PM, Bambi said:

@pughaus Hi , with all the recent "turmoil" brewing with Coconut 83 are you satisfied with Lab and Co's virgin coco wax to the point that you would make them your main supplier? I'm currently on the fence and figuring cost difference between the 2 other main suppliers I've gotten coconut 83 from. I had planned to launch my business in the summer but there is so much uncertainty around this coconut wax I'm not sure. 

I have tested both 464 and 210 and not satisfied with the inconsistencies with the two of them. I've also tested IGI 6006 with HTP, CDN, ECO and LX wicks and was totally not impressed with the black soot. I know soy candles can soot too but when dealing with just straight soy or coconut soy, I rarely saw soot.

9 hours ago, Bambi said:

@JeremyM  thanks for your input. I will place an order today. Do you find yourself using the coco creme by itself or are you adding additional soy to it?

I have ordered 9 different fragrances from them to test and im really impressed with them. 

I use it by itself. Pretty sure there is already plenty of soy in it. Out of curiosity, what are your favorite fragrances from them? I've only tested four at this point and "Rose Patchouli and Amber" is my favorite, followed by "Black Dahlia and White Birch".

8 minutes ago, JeremyM said:

I use it by itself. Pretty sure there is already plenty of soy in it. Out of curiosity, what are your favorite fragrances from them? I've only tested four at this point and "Rose Patchouli and Amber" is my favorite, followed by "Black Dahlia and White Birch".

@JeremyM, Grapefruit Peppermint & Orange, Sea Salt Mandarin and Orange, Lavender, Vetiver, & Ylang Ylang, Indie, Meditation, Coffee Bean & Caco and Honey Bourbon.  I like all of these because they cater a collection I plan to offer centered around feelings.  However I'm only starting with 3-4 and then gradually add more.  I looked at the Black Dahlia and White Birch but decided upon these to try first.  I also have Coconut and Cilantro and Dark Cassis which smells good.  I placed tested the ones listed above in a warmer with rock salt and the scent is strong even for the lighters fragrances.  Can't wait to use them with the wax.

On 1/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, Laura C said:

Oh man, I can't believe that about the Coco 83. Well, it does have some issues so maybe it will be better on the next release. This will at least be the 3rd version of it when it does come out. The 1st version being the one I started with about 3 -3.5 yrs ago and that one was awesome. I so hope they bring that version back. This 2nd version we have been dealing with has been hit or miss for me with several issues. 

I have been testing the Ultra Wax Coconut Blend from General Wax and I really like it except it is a very soft wax. All my container candles have been too soft, specifically for Florida weather and hot weather shipping. I'm playing around with additives and now that I have some pillar and tart waxes I'll mix with those too to see what happens.

just an FYI: the Ultra Wax Coconut Blend contains paraffin... I discovered this wax last year and called about it.. I wanted to know if it contained paraffin and it does.. also.. ACCUBLEND CO is moving into a larger production facility because demand for their waxes has become outrageous.. the latest version of the COCONUT 83 is mostly coconut with small amounts of apricot, soy and palm waxes added. I got this info straight from the head honcho there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2019 at 10:52 PM, Jeana said:

Unfortunately whoever you spoke with is not being honest with you. I spoke with customer service there and I was told there is paraffin in it. I stated that other's were told it didn't have paraffin. She said she didn't know why anyone would say that. She said it has food grade paraffin in it. 

the coconut/apricot blend has paraffin in it, the virgin coconut creme does not.. this is what I was told