Cottonwoods

Not getting the results I'd hoped for.  I know TT is also testing these.  I'm finding initial big tunneling, which is not what Atkins & Pierce advertised.  It took double-time (up to 4 hours) to reach side-to-side jar and I think most of my customers would give up by then and label my candle as tunneling, which irks me so much, no educational hand-out could convince them otherwise.  These are crazy-hot burners too, which defies the tunneling.  Strange wick but glad I tried it.

11 hours ago, Arch Rock said:

It took double-time (up to 4 hours) to reach side-to-side jar

So does this mean you are normally wicking your containers to reach a FMP by the second hour? That seems very unsafe, regardless of how much you think your customers want this. If this is how I am interpreting your comment then I would suggest focusing on making a safe candle above satisfying a customer based on false information they think they know.

Take this as advice and not anything personal. I would hate to see you put yourself or anyone else at risk with an over wicked candle just to make someone happy :(

I use soy so I'm not for sure, but here are the scenarios where I got tunneling.

When I pour too hot (my wax has to be almost to that slushy stage so really cloudy.

If I pour too fast, I have to still remember to take my time (I pour down the wick as well in stubborn containers)

If my jars are cold, I don't always have to heat them if they are in a warm room but sometimes they are coming from the garage cabinet and then yes they are way too cold year round.

just to put your mind at ease, a little, about not achieving full melt pool on the first burn, plenty of very popular commercial candles don’t ever reach full melt pools. McCalls never, ever reach FMP in their jars.  The melt pool is always about 1/2” or so smaller than the jar, and their candles sell extremely well and people are fully satisfied. 

OTOH, some that do achieve FMP on the first burn are downright filthy burning, dangerous candles by the last third. 

Given the choice, customers seem to want a safe, clean burning candle that throws decently. 

One wax blend I’m  working with cottonwoods is in a 24 oz tall square mason jar.  This candle will easily be a 100+ hour (more likely 150 when I get right down to it) candle that does not reach a FMP ever, but it Power burns throwing clean all day long. The early burns are designed to tunnel a bit so by the half way point and down they burn safely and as strongly as the very first burn. It’s designed to need very little wick maintenance at all. The wax always catches up by the end. This, to me, creates some incredible value in a candle. I guarantee not one recipient of this candle will even notice it’s not a FMP, let alone complain. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 10:52 PM, TallTayl said:

Which kind of wax? 

I love them in deep containers in some blends. 

I use a paraffin-based container blend.  I hear you about not worrying about a FMP on the first burn.  And WOW a 24 oz. jar!  I could see cottonwoods working.  They are hard workers.  Kudos for that burn time.

22 hours ago, Clear Black said:

So does this mean you are normally wicking your containers to reach a FMP by the second hour? That seems very unsafe, regardless of how much you think your customers want this. If this is how I am interpreting your comment then I would suggest focusing on making a safe candle above satisfying a customer based on false information they think they know.

Take this as advice and not anything personal. I would hate to see you put yourself or anyone else at risk with an over wicked candle just to make someone happy :(

Thanks for the input Clear Black but I've been doing this for many years - just re-started my biz after a long hiatus.  I always balance flame height and melt pool but do expect 1/4" of FMP within 4 hours but am fine with some cling.  There's a gal in town here who makes soy candles in soup cans.  It's pretty scary how horribly hot and sooty these burn.  I'm afraid she's going to burn someone's house down.

31 minutes ago, Arch Rock said:

Thanks for the input Clear Black but I've been doing this for many years - just re-started my biz after a long hiatus.  I always balance flame height and melt pool but do expect 1/4" of FMP within 4 hours but am fine with some cling.  There's a gal in town here who makes soy candles in soup cans.  It's pretty scary how horribly hot and sooty these burn.  I'm afraid she's going to burn someone's house down.

Yikes. At least they are in cans and can withstand the high heat longer before breaking. At least lol