Organizing 1oz FOs

Jeana

On November 13, 2018 at 11:53 PM, Candybee said:

Currently I just toss them in a box. I can't use 1oz ers so I only order them when they are freebies like with CS. But if I had hundreds I wanted to organize I would do it by supplier. That way when I ordered FOs I can just check and see what I have before I order from that supplier. Its worked great for me in the past.

I need to start doing this! I have the same problem with re-ordering scents.

22 hours ago, LivInTX said:

I too use the shoe box size plastic containers from target for $0.99 (their containers are little more flat and rectangular so the bottles sit better  inside)

Label each bottle cap with a circle sticker of the FO name

Label outside of box with company name.

I always load up with 5 for $5, 1oz from Aztec.

IMG_6851.jpg

That looks amazing!!

• Like 1

I sort all my fragrances alphabetically ...the 1 oz bottles go in plastic shoe boxes from home depot (I love those boxes and use them for everything)

I write a letter on the cap so its easy to see.

Then I keep a master list of all the fragrances I have and want and how much of each I have where I ordered them from ...a little comment etc..

That way I don't order stuff I already have ( ok  perhaps that works better in theory since I still occasionally order fragrances I already have ...oh well)

Always looks tidy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sarah S said:

I need to start doing this! I have the same problem with re-ordering scents.

Reminds me of when I accidentally ordered a case of 4794 Votive Blend instead of what I intended to order. I see a lot of votives in my future.

On 11/13/2018 at 11:53 PM, Candybee said:

But if I had hundreds I wanted to organize I would do it by supplier. That way when I ordered FOs I can just check and see what I have before I order from that supplier. Its worked great for me in the past.

Great idea to order them by supplier and then could order them by category, thanks. Don't know how I didn't think of that before. LOL. Like @Sebleo, I store my 1oz fragrance bottles in the clear plastic shoe boxes that have lids, that way the bottles are standing up.

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 9:12 PM, Jeana said:

Thanks for the ideas everyone :)

Now a second part to the question. What do you do with the scents you don't like? Do you just toss them? I wish I had some candle/soap makers near me. I have sooo many things I would like to get rid of.  Like about half of the 1oz samples I have LOL. 

My goal has always been to make an Excel sheet to keep track of the ones I definitely didn't like, so I could just get rid of them. That still hasn't happened LOL. 

You could use those scents to:

- make fire starters

- make some custom fragrances by mixing scents you think would smell good together

- some people may like the scents you don't like, you could sell them as special or limited editions

• Like 2

On 11/14/2018 at 7:12 PM, Jeana said:

Now a second part to the question. What do you do with the scents you don't like? Do you just toss them? I wish I had some candle/soap makers near me.

I didn't see this part of the question until I read Laura's response and I agree, either firestarters (but I use them for personal, and don't scent them, I feel there is no need) or I try to use them in a mix. 

If they are just really horrible and I just can't mix them with anything to make a better scent, then yes, I just toss them. I typically don't buy large qty's of samples usually get them as freebies for buying other stuff, or when I do buy they are on sale, so those are allocated to my R&D expenses and tossing them is not a big deal to me. 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2018 at 8:53 PM, Candybee said:

Currently I just toss them in a box. I can't use 1oz ers so I only order them when they are freebies like with CS. But if I had hundreds I wanted to organize I would do it by supplier. That way when I ordered FOs I can just check and see what I have before I order from that supplier. Its worked great for me in the past.

Candybee, I sort them alphabetically ....When I go to order from a supplier I just go on my master list....have it generate the info by suppliers and bingo -bango I know what I have...

On a side note...I love my 1 oz sample bottles and use them..most of the time I combine them...but they never go to waste.:D

• Like 2

On 11/16/2018 at 9:21 AM, Jcandleattic said:

Well, you won't go wrong with 4794. I LOVE that wax for votives and melts. :)

The only thing I don't like about it is that when it shrinks during cooling, it REALLY shrinks. Ends up extremely concave. I then have to use the heat gun to level it off. Since I try to keep my votives at 1.75 oz, topping off isn't an option unless...  I thought about this the other day. I suppose I could pour it a little short like 1.6 oz and then do a second pour to bring them up to 1.75 oz.  Do you think that might work?

On 11/17/2018 at 1:28 PM, Quentin said:

The only thing I don't like about it is that when it shrinks during cooling, it REALLY shrinks. Ends up extremely concave. I then have to use the heat gun to level it off. Since I try to keep my votives at 1.75 oz, topping off isn't an option unless...  I thought about this the other day. I suppose I could pour it a little short like 1.6 oz and then do a second pour to bring them up to 1.75 oz.  Do you think that might work?

Probably, but they still might dip with that much extra for the repour. I always do a repour and never use my heat gun on my votives, so not sure I am really of much help. Also, I know 4794 already has additives in it, but I always add a bit of stearic and tiny amount of vybar to my formula as well.. 

• Thanks 1

Goals:

On 11/16/2018 at 10:12 AM, Sunday said:

Candybee, I sort them alphabetically ....When I go to order from a supplier I just go on my master list....have it generate the info by suppliers and bingo -bango I know what I have...

On a side note...I love my 1 oz sample bottles and use them..most of the time I combine them...but they never go to waste.:D

I'm a little behind on my supply list. This is what I need to do.   

I also need to get rid of few and use some favorites that aren't candle friendly.  Thinking of projects.. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 8:12 PM, Jeana said:

Now a second part to the question. What do you do with the scents you don't like? Do you just toss them? I wish I had some candle/soap makers near me. I have sooo many things I would like to get rid of.  Like about half of the 1oz samples I have LOL. 

My goal has always been to make an Excel sheet to keep track of the ones I definitely didn't like, so I could just get rid of them. That still hasn't happened LOL. 

I finally made the choice to just toss a bunch of 1 oz bottles I knew I was never gonna make up. I was tired of looking at them.  Altho, in my area we have a “craft only”  thrift store where I will donate in the future. I have a few companies I will never buy from again because I was disappointed in the FO I ordered. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, Jeana said:

If I don't like something on its own, I may be able to use it in a "limited time" blend. If it's just a straight up dud, it gets pitched. I don't want to keep moving it around or forgetting that it sucked, so I just get rid of it. :)

• Like 1