Organizing 1oz FOs

Jeana

Does anyone have a clever way to organize about 100 1oz testers? I have sooo many, but I need to keep them and be able to access them easily when I need them. Right now I have them shoved in boxes. I lose track of what I have, so I order more, and the cycle continues LOL. I'm typically an organizing junkie, but I can't get a good system for these, for some reason.

• Like 1

Currently I just toss them in a box. I can't use 1oz ers so I only order them when they are freebies like with CS. But if I had hundreds I wanted to organize I would do it by supplier. That way when I ordered FOs I can just check and see what I have before I order from that supplier. Its worked great for me in the past.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ditto on the shallow boxes, but then I keep them in another bin in addition.  The visibility problem is made worse by the nature of FO bottles.  They have to be upright, or they could leak, are tiny, etc.  I could see a shallow shadow box type shelf or group of shelves working well, or an essential oil type display.  Those would be open, so could pose problems.  My best solution is taking a fine point dry erase, vis a vis, or even a sharpie, and writing a content list on the out side of tubs.  (You can remove sharpie from plastic with aerosol sprays like Lysol, etc.)    Keep a pen handy for writing new additions, erase used ones. You could even rig a Velcro attachment for the pen on side of the bin or near storage.  

More ideas

• write the FO name on top of the bottle lid  for easy access.  
  • Small round labels, for writing on black bottle tops
  • Velcro dots to keep them upright and in place if you wanted to get super fancy.
  • Washi on the outside to make lists instead of having to remove writing from plastic.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jenni Wix said:

😄Pinterest inspired probably.  I did this with all my craft items and containers years ago, but it's time for a redo.  

I am dying to reorganize my shop area. I get onto Pinterest, get all fired up then fizzle out at the sheer magnitude of the project.  There’s no shortage of washi here. Come on over and let’s get started 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I have a spreadsheet I created with formulas, that auto updates everytime I adjust. I update every time I use/buy a fragrance (regardless of size) so I know exactly what and how much of each I have.

I also have SM3 that I update with the invoice that is sent out so when I use the scent it will automatically adjust my inventory as well. 

As far as the physical bottles, I put them in a small box I have organized by supplier, then by scent. This helps me when I concoct my blends. (which I also put on a spreadsheet under a different tab with a formula that will automatically update the usage rate on the 'amount' tab) 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Candybee said:

Currently I just toss them in a box. I can't use 1oz ers so I only order them when they are freebies like with CS. But if I had hundreds I wanted to organize I would do it by supplier. That way when I ordered FOs I can just check and see what I have before I order from that supplier. Its worked great for me in the past.

:lol:

13 hours ago, Jeana said:

Does anyone have a clever way to organize about 100 1oz testers? I have sooo many, but I need to keep them and be able to access them easily when I need them. Right now I have them shoved in boxes. I lose track of what I have, so I order more, and the cycle continues LOL. I'm typically an organizing junkie, but I can't get a good system for these, for some reason.

How about a spice rack or maybe these:  

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D12GGJ7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought some of these tiers to put on tables at shows. Perhaps you could use them on a shelf or in a cabinet. 

Just now, Quentin said:

What is SM3? 

Soapmaker 3 https://www.soapmaker.ca/

it's a software that if you get the professional version will help you keep inventory, create batches, etc., for the price it is sooo worth it. I've had it since it was in beta testing and got it directly from the developer(s). there have been SEVERAL updates and reconfigurations of the software since I got it, but have never had to pay for an upgrade. 

It's a handy little soapmaking tool, but I also use it for my candles, and other non-soap formulations also. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@TallTayl Did somebody say washi?  ...ok.  Then we'll do mine.  Lol.  It would be so much more fun with fellow FO HO's ... err crafters.  Too bad I'm all the way over here in the PNW.  

At least there's virtual moral support.  ... You can do it, believe in you!  

Maybe CS could have an organization challenge sometime.    There's always spring...

• Haha 1

I too use the shoe box size plastic containers from target for $0.99 (their containers are little more flat and rectangular so the bottles sit better  inside)

Label each bottle cap with a circle sticker of the FO name

Label outside of box with company name.

I always load up with 5 for $5, 1oz from Aztec.

IMG_6851.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for the ideas everyone :)

Now a second part to the question. What do you do with the scents you don't like? Do you just toss them? I wish I had some candle/soap makers near me. I have sooo many things I would like to get rid of.  Like about half of the 1oz samples I have LOL. 

My goal has always been to make an Excel sheet to keep track of the ones I definitely didn't like, so I could just get rid of them. That still hasn't happened LOL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeana said:

Thanks for the ideas everyone :)

Now a second part to the question. What do you do with the scents you don't like? Do you just toss them? I wish I had some candle/soap makers near me. I have sooo many things I would like to get rid of.  Like about half of the 1oz samples I have LOL. 

My goal has always been to make an Excel sheet to keep track of the ones I definitely didn't like, so I could just get rid of them. That still hasn't happened LOL. 

I sell them in my yearly yard sale. Along with wax melts I made from sample bottles that I didn’t like or weren’t strong enough. I don’t sell melts that are duds and I let people know what I didn’t like about them. 

Shoebox sized containers, like those above. I group them by FO type and purpose: holiday season (Christmas, spices, leaves, etc.), tropical, fruits and berries, perfume/cologne, bakery/food, random, and empty bottles (to remind me that I might want to try them again).

FO's I don't like get their own container. I'm not fond of simply tossing them in the trash so they either get used in testing or continue to take up space (the worse scents) in the hoard until I can find some way to dispose of them.

Edited by Kerven
  • Like 1