Which holiday scents are you having the hardest time wicking?

lightmyfire

Well it never fails that when you want to get some new holiday scents going there are a few that just drive you insane with wicking challenges.  Or is that just me?!

These are my challenges right now in 6006, 9 oz straight sided amber jar:

Vanilla Bean Noel (WSP)

Toasted Pumpkin Spice (CS)

and my absolute favorite new scent Charcoal Tonka (FC)

VBN and TPS are wick hogs and burn beautifully on the first 3 hour burn then they seem to slog along and then burn great then slog along again.  Charcoal Tonka (FANTASTIC SCENT if you haven't tried it yet) isn't quite as moody but has its moments as well.  

Has anyone experienced wicking any of these lately and what are you seeing?

I use 9oz ss jars, but I don't use the CD wicks with this jar.  The off center melt pool messes me up with narrow containers.  I use zinc 44-24, 44-32 and sometimes need a 51z for the heavy scents.  LX 14 is a good starting point with this jar also.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I use 9oz ss jars, but I don't use the CD wicks with this jar.  The off center melt pool messes me up with narrow containers.  I use zinc 44-24, 44-32 and sometimes need a 51z for the heavy scents.  LX 14 is a good starting point with this jar also.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Good luck.

what wax do you use?

6 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Several ATM....LOL, but 6006 is what I was referring to.  

I thought so but I figured I'd better ask!  Thanks so much for your help; I just ordered an LX sample pack and I have a zinc sample pack already.  Yet another batch of test candles????  Oy!!!  The endless pursuit of excellence :dance2:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lightmyfire said:

I thought so but I figured I'd better ask!  Thanks so much for your help; I just ordered an LX sample pack and I have a zinc sample pack already.  Yet another batch of test candles????  Oy!!!  The endless pursuit of excellence :dance2:

Oh gosh, don't I know it.  I've tried so many times to get away from this wax, and here I am using it yet again.  I'm using a new container, 3+ inches, and I'm having to break out the CD wicks for it even though they aren't my preference.  So frustrating, but since I have dozens of these jars I'll have to make it work.  I can't find one wick series that will work across the board for me in 6006.  I really don't know why I am still using this wax.  Glutton for punishment, I guess.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Oh gosh, don't I know it.  I've tried so many times to get away from this wax, and here I am using it yet again.  I'm using a new container, 3+ inches, and I'm having to break out the CD wicks for it even though they aren't my preference.  So frustrating, but since I have dozens of these jars I'll have to make it work.  I can't find one wick series that will work across the board for me in 6006.  I really don't know why I am still using this wax.  Glutton for punishment, I guess.

That's exactly the reason that I have narrowed my containers down to the 9 oz ss amber, 16 oz ss amber and the 8 oz square mason (the mason is just for seasonal scents).  I also refuse to keep adding FO's to the mix as well.  I have a "scent menu" of my set offering and then I rotate in seasonal scents so I just have to test new scents periodically.  

I found the CD 10 to work perfectly in the 16 oz ss amber jar on almost every scent.  Miracles do happen.

I am so very grateful for your input on this since I would have had no idea where to start with the LX or zinc wicks.  THANK YOU!!

:bow:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

they seem to slog along and then burn great then slog along again. 

I have exactly this problem with the 9 oz straight sided jars.  The heavier scents are a real challenge for me in these.  I call it tiny flame syndrome.  They start out great then around burn 3 or 4  the flame shrinks to 1/4". Then it comes back to 1/2" or so. on the next burn.. then small again.. and so on.   I need a smallish wick since these straight jars trap heat so well but they seem to get overcome by FO, heat and lack of air in the middle of the jar..

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 10:03 AM, bfroberts said:

BF, did I see in an archive that you had been experimenting with RRDs?  I see you've settled on zinc.

On 11/13/2018 at 10:45 AM, lightmyfire said:

That's exactly the reason that I have narrowed my containers down to the 9 oz ss amber, 16 oz ss amber and the 8 oz square mason (the mason is just for seasonal scents).  I also refuse to keep adding FO's to the mix as well.  I have a "scent menu" of my set offering and then I rotate in seasonal scents so I just have to test new scents periodically.  

I found the CD 10 to work perfectly in the 16 oz ss amber jar on almost every scent.  Miracles do happen.

I am so very grateful for your input on this since I would have had no idea where to start with the LX or zinc wicks.  THANK YOU!!

:bow:

CD10s are nice, but as TT has pointed out, sometimes, you'll get similar FMPs with 10, 12, and even 14 and I've found this perplexing.  I also think for those of us who use straight-sided jars, it's easy to underestimate the impact that a straight-sided jar can have on wicking.  I've had one heck of a time switching from a 16 oz country comfort jar to a 16 oz straight sided.  That crimp in the neck of the country comfort jar may look innocent, but it has a huge impact.

On 11/13/2018 at 1:19 PM, pughaus said:

I have exactly this problem with the 9 oz straight sided jars.  The heavier scents are a real challenge for me in these.  I call it tiny flame syndrome.  They start out great then around burn 3 or 4  the flame shrinks to 1/4". Then it comes back to 1/2" or so. on the next burn.. then small again.. and so on.   I need a smallish wick since these straight jars trap heat so well but they seem to get overcome by FO, heat and lack of air in the middle of the jar..

I think you're right about the straight sided jars.  Do the crimps in other jars create a chimney effect that's missing with our straight sides?