Many weeks back I gave a candle to one of my neighbors to test for me. I gave her no information on it other than what was on the warning label. I didn't want to skew the results. I had forgotten about it until she showed up yesterday at my doorstep with candle in hand. I'll give you the basics first. Then I'll tell you what she reported. I'll then tell you my conclusion based on her report and my observation of the candle itself. After you've looked this over, please be brutally honest as to whether I've made the proper diagnosis. If you need more information, I'll try to provide it. The picture of the candle will be in here somewhere.:)

The Candle:

• Wax: 1274 Mottled Pillar Wax 16 oz. Purchased from Community Candle Supply in Pelham, Alabama.
  • Wick: LX 18
  • Dye: Liquid. Candle Science "Key West Green". 3 drops.
  • Fragrance: 6% Load. Candle Science "Brandied Pear"

Her Report:

(In her words) "Smells great in the room. When you light it, there's no more smell. Wick didn't put off smoke at all." [I asked her about the bulge at the top]. (In her words) "they all do that. I just squeeze them back with my hands when that happens".

My conclusion: 

(Based on what she said and what I saw of the candle)

1. Good cold throw.
  2. No hot throw. 
  3. Tunneling. 

I have this candle burning across the room from me now as I'm typing this. Nice steady flame. Very little hot throw. Air bubbles coming up from the small melt pool. Other than the bubbles which I didn't anticipate, my conclusion is that this candle is under wicked. Do I have it right or is it something else? Possibly too much dye?

I readily await any and comments and I'm listening;) Thank you for your help.

20181109_103019.jpg

How far down is the "tunnelling" because yes, most paraffin candle pillars will do that, and yes, most of the time you can just 'hug' them when the wax is warm enough. It's what I do with my paraffin candles, and the candle will completely consume itself until about the last couple inches of the pillar. 

However, even though it's hard to tell in the pic, it does look like the middle does go down a bit farther than I would like for my candles. (I will try to find a pic of some of my candles when I get home and show you what I mean) IMO any bigger of a wick and run the risk of blowouts for those that power burn. 

In my 3" diameter pillars I use a 24 flat braid, and I honestly don't know how that compares to an LX18

As for hot throw - how big of a room did she burn the candle in and how big is the room you are burning in? some scents are just not huge power throwers, and pear happens to be one them that I consider a "light" scent in pillars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

How far down is the "tunnelling" because yes, most paraffin candle pillars will do that, and yes, most of the time you can just 'hug' them when the wax is warm enough. It's what I do with my paraffin candles, and the candle will completely consume itself until about the last couple inches of the pillar. 

However, even though it's hard to tell in the pic, it does look like the middle does go down a bit farther than I would like for my candles. (I will try to find a pic of some of my candles when I get home and show you what I mean) IMO any bigger of a wick and run the risk of blowouts for those that power burn. 

In my 3" diameter pillars I use a 24 flat braid, and I honestly don't know how that compares to an LX18

As for hot throw - how big of a room did she burn the candle in and how big is the room you are burning in? some scents are just not huge power throwers, and pear happens to be one them that I consider a "light" scent in pillars. 

All good stuff here. I don't know the question about the room she burned it in but I'll find out next time I see her. The room I'm in is about 11x12. I didn't know that about pear fragrances. I do agree with what she told me about the cold throw. It's what I would classify as "acceptable". I know that sounds sorta vague. The answer to your first question is about 1/4 inch deep. I had it burning here for about 1.5 hours, put it out and went to run an errand. I just looked at it and the top is now frosted white as opposed to the original green. The outside wall of the candle I would estimate is about 1/2 inch all the way around. I'm going to light it up again and put the timer on about 2 hours and see what happens.