White candle dye

Question: Does all white dye contain titanium dioxide? I was looking at Northwoods and C&S’s white dye chips and wondering if they work in candles or will they be tough to burn. 

And if yes, how does Yankee do it? I know they have a few fragrances that are white in color and if all white dyes contain Titanium dioxide pigments then There must be a way for us to make a white color as well ya?

Thanks.

• Like 1

It seems that every time I try to use even the smallest amount of white dye my wicks are more sluggish.  At least that is what I think the problem is, and, if I use a metal pick and run it up the wick, it'll behave nicely for awhile and then become clogged again, so I think it's the white dye block.  So, for a white candle, I'm going to just try a paraffin wax, stearic acid as an additive with a colorless f/o.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2018 at 9:22 AM, Clear Black said:

Question: Does all white dye contain titanium dioxide? I was looking at Northwoods and C&S’s white dye chips and wondering if they work in candles or will they be tough to burn. 

And if yes, how does Yankee do it? I know they have a few fragrances that are white in color and if all white dyes contain Titanium dioxide pigments then There must be a way for us to make a white color as well ya?

Thanks.

13 hours ago, birdcharm said:

It seems that every time I try to use even the smallest amount of white dye my wicks are more sluggish.  At least that is what I think the problem is, and, if I use a metal pick and run it up the wick, it'll behave nicely for awhile and then become clogged again, so I think it's the white dye block.  So, for a white candle, I'm going to just try a paraffin wax, stearic acid as an additive with a colorless f/o.

Forgive me for asking this question but at my current level of understanding I need to ask these things. What is the concern with titanium dioxide? What sort of problems does it cause? I've used some white dye recently but have yet to burn those candles. Am I in for a pleasant surprise or a disappointment?

1 hour ago, Quentin said:

Forgive me for asking this question but at my current level of understanding I need to ask these things. What is the concern with titanium dioxide? What sort of problems does it cause? I've used some white dye recently but have yet to burn those candles. Am I in for a pleasant surprise or a disappointment?

It's commonly used for many things (it's a mineral ... i.e., used in cosmetics as a sunscreen component, or whitening agent) ... and, in candles, it's used as a pigment to make candles white, which I believe most dye blocks are comprised of.  It's fine for use as an over dip or for some "whipped cream" wax, but when used within the body of the candle, it typically will clog the wick. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2018 at 6:37 PM, birdcharm said:

CBL-141 from Candlewic is a pre formulated paraffin mix that's mostly white by itself. Its opaque which is not the same, but in this instance it's pretty close.

You can also buy the "Premium Paraffin Wax" from Hobby Lobby. It's usually around $14 for 4 lbs, but then there's the 40% coupon you can use! It's basically the same stuff from Candlewic, just rebranded and marked up for retail (but cheaper than buying from Candlewic unless you're buying in bulk).

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, strugglebrother said:

I have tried this, it indeed clogged the wick - their description is very misguiding!

https://www.candlemakingsupplies.net/p___P1017491.html

I tested this product years ago with no adverse effects quite extensively as I worked for a supplier. I am wondering if it was not the amount you used or the scent causing the need for a different wick?

22 minutes ago, Quentin said:

Have you tried any of the liquid white dyes?  AAA sells one. Not the auto club, but  aaacandlesupply.com  

Never tried this supplier but I'm also interested in the white. While I'm at it, are there any fragrances anyone's tried? Similar to any other supplier? They have good prices from the brief look I just had.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:24 PM, Flicker said:

I tested this product years ago with no adverse effects quite extensively as I worked for a supplier. I am wondering if it was not the amount you used or the scent causing the need for a different wick?

I did test the same scent with and without the white dye and with the dye in there, the burn got heavily affected.

It sure needs another wick or several sizes up if you add the dye to the wax, even though they are advertising that it doesn't.

I tried three dosage levels with the same clogging result and I also found that you indeed have to use quite a lot to actually be able to dye the wax to white, much more than liquid dyes. This is also in paraffin which usually takes on color really well. I was confused by the testing and ruled it out as not doing what it should.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, strugglebrother said:

I did test the same scent with and without the white dye and with the dye in there, the burn got heavily affected.

It sure needs another wick or several sizes up if you add the dye to the wax, even though they are advertising that it doesn't.

I tried three dosage levels with the same clogging result and I also found that you indeed have to use quite a lot to actually be able to dye the wax to white, much more than liquid dyes. This is also in paraffin which usually takes on color really well. I was confused by the testing and ruled it out as not doing what it should.

The problem is, it's not technically be advertised correctly. It is a blue, which when added to something that is slightly off white, will give the illusion of being whiter due to the blue. It should take a very small amount and isn't really a dye, more a product that will just work to make a candle seem whiter than it naturally is.

2 hours ago, Flicker said:

The problem is, it's not technically be advertised correctly. It is a blue, which when added to something that is slightly off white, will give the illusion of being whiter due to the blue. It should take a very small amount and isn't really a dye, more a product that will just work to make a candle seem whiter than it naturally is.

That makes much more sense... 

I'll see if I have my testers somewhere, I needed a lot to bleach the wax from yellow to white

It's funny how retailers can straight up lie to their customers in this business so easily... With so many parameters to blame it's very easy to get away with a lot isn't it...

• Like 1