Clamshells vs Shaped Melts

kandlekrazy

5 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

I bought a bunch of Ecosoya Pillar Blend before they discontinued it and use that.  They may have it back on the market but not sure if it is the same as some of their other products that were reintroduced have gotten bad reviews.  I would see what others recommend then buy a small amount, mix with your other soy, and test for smears.  Just think of all the fun you will have using those molds! 

I have them in a shop in glass jars and sell them for $1 each.  I think I may start packaging in tiny polypropylene bags as the jars aren't smeared but getting hazy after a year.  Not sure what that is from.  I could just clean the jars. lol

GoldieMN

Thanks so much for the help! It’s so nice of you ;) 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 8:48 PM, kandlekrazy said:

This is my thing, they are so easy to hang and I use slatwall with hooks in my store so every scent is visible.

Karen, how do you deal with the people when buying the clam shells opening them up to smell the scent?  Do they start to look ratty looking after awhile?   I would think they would.   I sell the clam shells but never get the chance to see what condition the clam shells are in by people as they sell so fast which is a good thing, but I was wondering if you have a problem with that?

I just made up quite a few in the 8oz tins with a pretty label on the top.   It is time consuming I will say making the melts but they are oh so cute...

Trappeur

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

I love these little clam shells.....

Trappeur

I do too, wish they had other shapes as well. I went ahead and ordered them last night. I also went on people's suggestions and ordered these waxes to play around with: IGI 4625 BLENDED PILLAR WAX and IGI 4794 VOTIVE/TART BLEND. I'll try some of the pillar wax in my recycled test candle waxes to see if that hardens them up good for creating melts. Can't wait to play around with this stuff. 😄

Thanks everyone for your advice.

50 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

I just made up quite a few in the 8oz tins with a pretty label on the top.   It is time consuming I will say making the melts but they are oh so cute...

Trappeur

I bet the melts and the packaging looks real cute.

While I was writing this I see you posted pictures, cool. Oh, they are so pretty and look very nice in those jars. Great job.

Edited by Laura C

4 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Karen, how do you deal with the people when buying the clam shells opening them up to smell the scent?  Do they start to look ratty looking after awhile?   I would think they would.   I sell the clam shells but never get the chance to see what condition the clam shells are in by people as they sell so fast which is a good thing, but I was wondering if you have a problem with that?

Trappeur

It's just something you deal with.  I stopped really overfilling mine.  I still go over the cavities but just over now and I have way less mess when they open them up to sniff.  Most people don't even open just see if they can smell through the clam, I know because it just happens that one of our security cameras points in the direction of my melts and I watch people!!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jenni Wix said:

These are cute, but the reviews make me a little leary.  This post reminded me of these little heart clamshells.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JW7BVMD/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks so much for the info. Yes, I like the hearts but I see what you are saying about the reviews. Evidently they lowered the quality of the plastic they are now making the clam shells out of which would also effect the heart shaped ones too. That'a a shame when companies do that, they have a great, popular product and they change it and make it cheaper or smaller. That drives customers away real quick.

Unless I find some other heart shaped clam shells, I may order a small quantity of them and try them out. Maybe if they get lots of complaints and they see their sales dropping off they will switch back to making them better or buying better ones.

• Like 1