Clamshells vs Shaped Melts

kandlekrazy

2 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

I've always loved the crisp cellophane bags for packaging other products but wasn't sure if they are made of the right material so they don't suck the fragrance out of a product.

GoldieMN

Those on the lin laura provided are made of wood pulp, so I think they will be ok. If anyone orders could you share your test results?

i’d like to know if they can be impulse sealed (to seal and to re-size if needed. 

Also, are they heat shrinkable? I use 6x6 shrink bags for 3” diameter pillars. If this material works what. Great selling feature!

3 hours ago, Daisymay66 said:

I have spent thousands on silicone molds. I have sooooo many of them. I think they are super cute. But I’ve never really used them :( My wax is to soft so it ends up looking all smeared in my bags. Also, I could never decide on a price. Those of you who do sell shapes, do you sell them by the pound, or how do you price them? I really should decide what to do with them. I have so many and I love the look when they are all poured up. Someone could at least be using them instead of just sitting in boxes :( Nobody sells them here so it seems to me that they might sell fairly good! Something way different than clams. I do really well with clamshells. Any thoughts??

You need to add a bit of pillar wax to the mix to harden them up a bit.  I think I have about 25% pillar to 75% 464.

GoldieMN

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 10:56 AM, Jenni Wix said:

An example of melts in tins.  I realize the molds would be fussy.  That's why I'm thinking brittle, crumbles or scoopable too. 

https://happywax.com/collections/soy-wax-melts/products/bergamot-bay-wax-melts

The Happy Wax product is so cute, they have done a very good job with product development and branding.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

I've always loved the crisp cellophane bags for packaging other products but wasn't sure if they are made of the right material so they don't suck the fragrance out of a product.

GoldieMN

Too bad the glassine bags are not more clear since they are lined with wax paper and protect from oils and moisture. They sound like they would be perfect for wax melts. Have you all used them for wax melts?

9 minutes ago, Daisymay66 said:

I wonder if they would look very good for me since I don’t color my wax?? Any thoughts?

I would think they would still look pretty plain white or you could sprinkle a little mica or glitter or something in the Christmas tree area to give it some color. That would look pretty too. OMG! better yet, sprinkle some rosemary in the Christmas tree area to make it look like a real Christmas tree! You can get as creative as you want, the sky's the limit. Oh boy, I'm excited now, my creative juices are flowing. LOL :bliss:

Image result for images of rosemary herb

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Daisymay66 said:

So like 4625 or 4794? Thanks so much for helping me!!! That is soooooo much appreciated!

I use either one of those waxes alone or mixed with 4786 for shapes. I also put them in polypro bags with a homespun piece of material tying them or a bakery bag with a window and cute label. I don't like smudges so if I'm doing shapes I use a hard wax. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I use either one of those waxes alone or mixed with 4786 for shapes. I also put them in polypro bags with a homespun piece of material tying them or a bakery bag with a window and cute label. I don't like smudges so if I'm doing shapes I use a hard wax. 

So you use soy do you mean mixed with 4786, 4625 or 4794.

12 minutes ago, Belinda said:

So obviously that wax is hard enough that it don’t leave smudges? I haven’t worked much w pillar waxes.

13 minutes ago, Laura C said:

Oh wow, yes, I like their melts with the botanical bits and such in them. They have done a very nice job with their products. Thanks for letting me know about them.

It just seems like I remember somebody posting that it’s not a good idea to put stuff in months. Have you ever read anything like that?

3 minutes ago, Daisymay66 said:

It just seems like I remember somebody posting that it’s not a good idea to put stuff in months. Have you ever read anything like that?

Yes, there have been posts where people said not to use glitter, mica and stuff that can clog a wick and not to use other flammable things in candles. Which is understandable. But having glitter, spices, twigs, etc. in melts shouldn't cause an issue, I wouldn't think. I can't speak from experience I'm just trying to remember what people have said. Obviously, they are popular and they don't have an issue with them because they appear to be a large company and sell a lot of them. They are doing something right. Right? I love the 1803 melts, I would buy them, they are different and not boring even though they are just square. LOL

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Daisymay66 said:

So like 4625 or 4794? Thanks so much for helping me!!! That is soooooo much appreciated!

I bought a bunch of Ecosoya Pillar Blend before they discontinued it and use that.  They may have it back on the market but not sure if it is the same as some of their other products that were reintroduced have gotten bad reviews.  I would see what others recommend then buy a small amount, mix with your other soy, and test for smears.  Just think of all the fun you will have using those molds! 

I have them in a shop in glass jars and sell them for $1 each.  I think I may start packaging in tiny polypropylene bags as the jars aren't smeared but getting hazy after a year.  Not sure what that is from.  I could just clean the jars. lol

GoldieMN

• Like 1