Clamshells vs Shaped Melts

kandlekrazy

Just curious if anyone is hearing from customers that they don't like the use of plastic clamshells.  Mine still sell as always but I'm seeing signs at markets where candle makers are advertising that they are plastic free and they are selling melts in muslin or burlap sacks.  Ecologically it all makes sense but the shapes are way more work and time consuming in comparison.

• Like 2

I haven't heard that necessarily (I wrap my soap in shrink wrap, so still plastic) however, what I am hearing on the news and what-not that by the year 2025 plastic will be completely outlawed. 

We already have some groceries stores here in my state that have completely got plasticless and use either reusable burlap sacks, or back to the old days of brown kraft paper bags. 

• Like 1

I've read where some in the wax world that buy tons of wax don't like the plastic smell the clamshells give to the wax. I do notice it with some scents but not all of them and even though that's what most people around here usually go after I prefer shapes and have invested in tons of silicone molds. I hope when I do go public one day that my customers like shapes LOL!

I'm a clamshell fan.  Mold and packaging in one,  easy to store, transport and display. I stopped making shapes a long time ago and donated a bunch of molds.  I don't really want to go back, but I certainly wouldn't mind an end to widespread use of plastics.  Bagged melts don't sell for me at all.  If clams become obsolete, I'll have to figure something else out.

• Like 1

Some ideas floating around in my head.  When plastic is banned, it will level that part of the market, but until then... I've wondered the same.  Plastic is still so routine with everything at the grocery store etc.  I would think many people wouldn't mind in most retail settings.  Thinking about the local markets around my town however, I would understand how a no plastic option would appeal. It's a very progressive, environmentally friendly arena.   

My first experience, even with a wax made to be hardy (Ecosoya PB) it was very hard to get my brittle in the PP cello bag without streaks.  Part of me wonders if it would be good to offer alternatives at a market, or retail like a wax bar type thing, from glass apothecary or candy style jars.  Of course glass comes with it's own hassles. You could offer little tins, or paper bags, like Lush offers, and users store as they please at home. 

I realize scoopable melts seem like a fad.  I've been thinking about a least messy as possible option in glass, to avoid plastic though.  A wax that you can kind of easily carve. Maybe even in a tin.  

At a craft market or fair, I always think of little ones possibly getting a hold of things, So I would think a deli like set up would work better than an all accessible display for anything involving a lot of glass.  I'm thinking more of indoors or cooler months only too. with that.  Otherwise, pre packaged tins seem like a good option.  

If easy enough to transport, a portable candy counter for melt displays would be great. Some glass jars on a shelf with cute lids would look super. Ive seen stuff like that on pinterest.

I'm going to give glassine another go, with tough hang tags. I mold into breakaway bars, so the shape is right. The question is can they remain durable? and not get greasy looking during hot, humid weather?

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 2:40 PM, TallTayl said:

I wish I didn’t need plastic clamshells. But there’s no material that is so durable for outdoor venues. The clams merchandize so well too. 

My soap is in glassine and requires repackaging often through the season. 

This is my thing, they are so easy to hang and I use slatwall with hooks in my store so every scent is visible.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 2:30 PM, Jcandleattic said:

I haven't heard that necessarily (I wrap my soap in shrink wrap, so still plastic) however, what I am hearing on the news and what-not that by the year 2025 plastic will be completely outlawed. 

We already have some groceries stores here in my state that have completely got plasticless and use either reusable burlap sacks, or back to the old days of brown kraft paper bags. 

They banned plastic bags in most counties in Calif many years back but haven't banned any other plastics.  I don't see how they can really by 2025 it just seems impossible when you look at everything wrapped or packaged in plastic, walk down any grocery aisle and take note how much plastic is there. It's crazy!  We have to either use our own bags here or we buy a paper or plastic bag (think it's .10 for paper and .20 for plastic, yes they are only banned for free!  The $ pays to recycle the plastic supposedly.   Here's the real clincher, my store, because we are small and employ under 20 people and maintain less than a certain sq ft can offer free plastic bags to our customers. 

You all bring up some good points and ideas about melts. I have not made any melts yet but that is one of the things I want to start playing around with real soon. As a consumer, I like the shaped melts, I like seeing creativity in the designs. I'm wondering if the clam shells could be made of paper like the paper egg cartons? Would that type of material work for clam shells? Since I don't have experience making melts I don't know if they would release easily from the paper carton.

• 3 weeks later...

Even though plastic is going to be banned in the coming years, I'm looking for plastic containers or something similar. I've done some looking but can't find any clamshell molds that have shapes like this for instance at CandleWic. Has anybody seen any with shapes other than the cubes? To me it would be the best of both worlds, the ease of having the mold and container all in one, plus cute shapes like with the molds.

Tray Mold - Clover Floater (Polycarbonate) 

I have spent thousands on silicone molds. I have sooooo many of them. I think they are super cute. But I’ve never really used them :( My wax is to soft so it ends up looking all smeared in my bags. Also, I could never decide on a price. Those of you who do sell shapes, do you sell them by the pound, or how do you price them? I really should decide what to do with them. I have so many and I love the look when they are all poured up. Someone could at least be using them instead of just sitting in boxes :( Nobody sells them here so it seems to me that they might sell fairly good! Something way different than clams. I do really well with clamshells. Any thoughts??

6 minutes ago, Daisymay66 said:

I have spent thousands on silicone molds. I have sooooo many of them. I think they are super cute. But I’ve never really used them :( My wax is to soft so it ends up looking all smeared in my bags...   I do really well with clamshells. Any thoughts??

I'm just starting to play around with wax melts so I don't really have any advice to share. So far I have just been using old ice cube trays with recycled, melted down test candles and my melts have been too soft as well. Not surprised. I'm going to add some paraffin or hardened to my next tests to see how that does. Once I decide if I am going to seriously pursue doing melts then I'll buy some cute molds and specific wax melt wax. If I decide to buy some silicone molds in the near future, and if yours are still available, I may be interested in buying some from you. I'll keep you in mind @Daisymay66, thanks for mentioning that. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daisymay66 said:

I have spent thousands on silicone molds. I have sooooo many of them. I think they are super cute. But I’ve never really used them :( My wax is to soft so it ends up looking all smeared in my bags. Also, I could never decide on a price. Those of you who do sell shapes, do you sell them by the pound, or how do you price them? I really should decide what to do with them. I have so many and I love the look when they are all poured up. Someone could at least be using them instead of just sitting in boxes :( Nobody sells them here so it seems to me that they might sell fairly good! Something way different than clams. I do really well with clamshells. Any thoughts??

I package my palm wax tarts in clear bags and sell by the ounce. They look adoreable! I have a small bag that holds about  2-3 tarts, or roughly 2oz, that I price at 2/$5. People seem to love to be able to try a few different scents at a reasonable price. For the dedicated melters, I have a bigger bag of 5-6 tarts or roughly 4oz, that I price at $4, the same as my clamshells. Neither the bigger bags or the clamshells do very well for me, but around here tarts and melts in general are a tough sell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for your posts! I will definitely keep you in mind Laura C! I have sooooo many and the thought of the whole listing and pricing them does NOT sound fun! Especially since I’m computer STUPID!! I’m very lucky to get on here and check my email :( Hard to teach an old dog new tricks ;) 

Sarah S I’m really surprised you don’t do well with melts. I just thought everyone does good with melts. I do sell a bunch of clams and they are way easier it seems than pouring shapes but shapes are so darn cute!! UGH :( What’s a girl to do? I know I have at least 10 big totes full. What a waste of money and not like silicone molds are really cheap to buy :( 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 8:21 AM, TallTayl said:

Maybe it’s time to really push the salts with refresher oils in glass droppers? 

If only cellulose bags were brought back.  they decompose readily and are crisp and clear. They’re really hard to find, but I know they exist. 

Hi @TallTayl, is this what you are looking?

I came across them at Nashville Wraps I was web surfing. https://www.nashvillewraps.com/cellophane/biodegradable-plastic-bags/p-56/nhb38

Clear Compostable Cellophane Bags, 3x1.75x8.25", 100 Pack

4 hours ago, Laura C said:

I've done some looking but can't find any clamshell molds that have shapes like this for instance at CandleWic. Has anybody seen any with shapes other than the cubes?

Tray Mold - Clover Floater (Polycarbonate) 

I did finally come across these round clamshell molds on eBay but still no cute shapes.  100-Pack-Wax-Melt-Molds-Round-Clear-Wax-Molds-Plastic-Wax-Melt-Clamshells

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Pack-Wax-Melt-Molds-Round-Clear-Wax-Molds-Plastic-Wax-Melt-Clamshells/253901251822?hash=item3b1db1a4ee:g:YO4AAOSwt5FbrcAy:rk:46:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DGQ-Wax-Melt-Molds-Round-100-Set-Clear-Wax-Molds-Plastic-Wax-Melt-Clamshells-New/123369420938?hash=item1cb963f88a:g:PV8AAOSw6gRbm2NT:rk:45:pf:0