Wick Trouble - 13.25 oz Libbey Tumbler

Ooookay... So. I'm making myself crazy. I cannot find a gosh danged wick that will work with this jar. 13.25 oz Libbey Tumbler. It looks like it would be so simple... but, it's kind of like the time that I decided to refinish my wood floors myself, while 7 months pregnant and was too proud to admit that I bit off more than I could chew... Lol.

I'm using GB 444 with 10% FO and no dye. I have tried LX wicks (because they were handy) and ECO wicks and wooden wicks, which I'd prefer to stay away from. I've had better luck with the ECO, however, I don't like any of them. They have all been rubbish burns. ECO 10 has awesome hot throw, but does not come close to reaching the sides after 4 hours. ECO 12 tunnels and has less than ideal hot throw. ECO 14 has a good melt pool, but seemingly has no hot throw.

I want to stick with a single wick for this jar... but am so stinkin' frustrated with it.

Any suggestions???

13.25 oz tumbler.jpg

Soot = over wick.

dont worry about hang up on the first burns. How does that eco10 do at the mid point? 

Soy  seems to like cottonwood wicks. I’m liking them more than eco, but that can, and will, lean and soot it overwicked.

• Like 1

For the past few years, I have been pouring some of the same wax into a 12oz. Anchor Elite Jar (photo-link), which also has a 3.5" diameter.  I haven't been using f/o at 10%, a bit under that amount, but I haven't had any burning problems using a square braid cotton wick, #2 (note that it's #2, not 2/0).  I didn't buy this wicking (I purchase raw wick and tab them myself) at Cierra Candles, but I've purchased other sizes there, so they might have it.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Soot = over wick.

dont worry about hang up on the first burns. How does that eco10 do at the mid point? 

Soy  seems to like cottonwood wicks. I’m liking them more than eco, but that can, and will, lean and soot it overwicked.

Yes, TT.  Your advice regarding mid-point burn has made me start testing with a half-full jar.  Results vary.  More wicking headaches.

The hard part of mid point testing is you don’t have the wax hang up from the top to factor in. At least you know for sure how that candle will behave in the critical part! It makes the next test super easy to find a start point. 

Another plus of a partial pour is how relatively fast you can get through a candle.  My jars take weeks to complete testing. I want to get on to new scents and tire of them 🤣

At midpoint with the ECO 10, it still doesn't completely reach the sides. The 12 did better at midpoint... leaves very little residue behind and the jar is warm, but not hot.

I just poured more candles today, hoping that maybe part of the problem was a rushed pour... The paraffin that I used to use was a lot more forgiving and I haven't quite mastered the "one pour soy". I had several big wet spots in the jars with the 10 & 12... So, I'm hoping that I did better today and maybe less air pockets will help. IDK. I'm still pretty new at this. Going to go thru the archives and see if I can figure out how to correct my plethora of issues.

Thanks so much for the input!! I'll gladly take every bit of it!

I don’t worry one little bit about hang up in the first half. If it burns clean and throws who cares about a little hang up? By the end it will clean up.

c3 can, and does, form cavities that mess with the burn. I have to pour the wax at about 105 into hot jars to prevent jump lines, wet spots and cavities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Time to pester you all again... Firstly, the ECO 10 in the original test jar seems to be doing better towards the bottom of the candle, but there is still somewhere between 1/4" and 1/2" of hang up towards the top. We'll see what the new one does in a few more days. (I try to cure for at least a week. Sometimes, if I'm really curious about a new scent, I'll do one test burn at 3 days. Then wait a week to burn again.)

New issue - I've seen some threads about inconsistencies with GB 444 & 464, but didn't have a problem until now. Opened a new bag to pour the "new" test candles and have zero cold throw 4 days later and am concerned about the hot throw, as the original testers don't have near the hot throw that my paraffin did. …debating about trying another wax, but see a ton of crap reviews on Ecosoya which was going to be my second option. The closest supplier to me only carries Ecosoya and Golden Wax for soy. I'm stumped on what to do. I want a quality candle with good hot throw. I don't necessarily mind paying more for shipping, but I don't know enough about soy. Any suggestions on a more stable soy with excellent hot throw?

I used IGI 4627 originally, but my customers are wanting to go soy while retaining the same quality hot throw. With the 4627 at 12% FO in these same jars, 1 candle would fill my entire house within a matter of minutes. The 444 is barely filling a room after an hour... So far, I've tried 12%, 10% and 8% FO loads, 12% giving the "best" throw.

I feel like I can't make my customers happy if I can't keep myself happy with the cold/hot throw. ...I could very well just be whiny because soy is making me feel defeated, right now... I genuinely apologize for my whine showing. Next time, I'll bring cheese...

I hope so... I'm ordering some 10 lb bags to play with today. I'll give 444 another chance and try the Ecosoya, as well. Just to see what happens. I WANT a great soy candle. At this point, it's become a challenge that I intend to conquer, even if it's just one great candle.

I'm hoping the CD wicks that I ordered will be here today or tomorrow. 

I still love my paraffin... but this is just one of those irritating things that is going to be eating at me if I quit trying.

Edited by C. Rochelle