Scent Reviews So Far

Arch Rock

Hi all -

After a 15 year hiatus, I'm back with a vengeance.  What is it with candle-making?  I think it's in our veins!  Here are some preliminary fragrance reviews as well as some new-found wicking knowledge.

I use a paraffin-based container blend from Koster Keunin and use 6-8% F.O. load.

Bittercreek:

Apple Jack 'n Peel - An old standard but have triedCD-16, LX-22, RRD 37, LX-18 and WI-765 and still can't get this to burn properly.  Not ready to give up.

Brown Sugar Nutmeg - 6% throws fabulously with a CD-14 but is sooty.  Re-testing with WI-755 and an HTP-105.

Butter Cream Crunch (Wick Your Wax) - They've changed something since BC bought WYW.  I used to use 3% and it would kick butt, but now it's struggling.  I added some BC Maple Butter and it improved but not what it used to be.  HTP-105 drags.  Re-testing with a WI-755 and a Cottonwood.

Christmas Tree - (French) - Good throw but sort of one-dimensional with not many bottom notes.  HTP-105 did well at 6%.

Cinnamon Buns - (French) - Not a good HT - maybe just my nose.  Chemical smell.

Ginger Maple (Wick Your Wax) - This rocks at 3% but it's an unusual scent, big on the ginger.  CD-14 performed well, but sooty until it reached combustion.  Re-testing with WI-755 and Cottonwood.

Buttery Gingerbread (Wick Your Wax) - Very disappointed.  Not what it used to be.  A waste of funds at $34/lb.

Hayride (Bubbles 'n Lights) - Very nice at 6%.  CD-14 too much and CD-12 is not enough.  Re-testing but will keep the scent.  This sold well years ago.

Home Sweet Home - BC is always out of stock so shopping elsewhere

Jack Frost - BC out of stock - shopping elsewhere

Perfect Pumpkin (Wick Your Wax) - Once again, not what it used to be.  Ended up mixing with BC Pumpkin Spice and still not satisfied.  I'm a pumpkin snob and thanks to the board's reviews all the way back to 2013, I'm going to test other suppliers like CW.

Spiced Cranberry - Used to use a CD-16 with this and it was a top seller but now I can't stand the soot and flickering from the CD.  How did I sell these things!?  Re-testing with WI-765 and Cottonwood.  This is a tough one.

Turkish Cafe - Excellent at 6%.  WI-765 was too much so bumping down to WI-760 but still curing.

Nature's Garden:

Acorn Harvest - Excellent and unusual.  6% load but struggling to find the right wick.  CD-16 good but sooty.  Trying HTP-126, WI-760 and Cottonwood.

Bayberry - This rocks at 6% but still struggling with wick selection.  I am on the 11th test of this.  Definitely a candidate for Cottonwood.  It's so good I'm not giving up.

Coconut Cream - Best seller years ago,.  LX-18 worked well at 6% but sooty until reached combustion.  Still testing.

Sugar Cookie - Very nice.  Did well with an LX_18 at 6% but not nearly as kick-butt as Fragrance Buddy.

Lonestar:  Overall, disappointed.  They were my go-to for Apple Pie and Creamy Vanilla, but that's about it.

Hot Apple Pie - Ended up mixing with BC's Apple Pie just to get a kick.  Struggling with proper wicking.  Waiting to test HTP-126, WI-760, and Cottonwood.  CD-16 good but sooty.

Creamy Vanilla - Still the best but also wicking troubles.

Jack Frost - Because BC was out of stock - no way.  Yuck.

Sugared Cronut - This is really nice at 6%.  I'm renaming it French Toast, to give you an idea of how it smells HT.

Vanilla Cotton - Also really nice at 6% but struggled with a CD-14 and an LX-22.  Another candidate for Cottonwood or WI-760.

All the Cranberries stink. (no CT or HT)

Candlewic:

Frozen Pine - Excellent at 6%

Snickerdoodle - Good, but nothing like Fragrance Buddy's Sugar Cookie.  I'm looking for one, single cookie-like fragrance so will need to cut CW in favor of FB.

Fillmore (Tru-Scent)

Cedar Garland - Excellent at 6%.  Great downy base notes.

Fragrance Buddy:

Sugar Cookie Signature - PHENOMENAL

Home Sweet Home/Cinnamon - Not getting a good hot throw from this and I wick all my testers with a hefty CD-14 because I just want a big melt pool and then dial-in wicks after the initial test.  A CD-14 with a 2" melt pool gave off nothing so I'm scrapping.

Merlot Red Wine - This is a keeper.

Cherry Champagne - YES

Pear Champagne - YES

I can't wait to test more from FB.  I don't know where they came from, but they're rocking me so far.

Rustic Escentuals:

Wine by Candlelight - Excellent.

Cuban Tobacco - Very disappointed as this smelled incredible OOB.  Did nothing in wax.

Hope this helps everyone.  I am currently fascinated by the Cottonwood wicks but have only burned them in non-fragranced wax to get a feel for how they perform.  I ordered them because I have some very stubborn FOs I love but can't stand the CD smoke and flickering.  Also impressed with Premier wicks.  Huge consumption rates without the soot.  Please feel free to ask for updates as I continue to test if you're paraffin-based.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the reviews.  I know what you mean about the chandling in the veins. LOL.  No matter what I do or what my doctor says, I still have to come back to making them, even if it’s just for family, friends and personal use.

Sugared Cronut - This is really nice at 6%.  I'm renaming it French Toast, to give you an idea of how it smells HT.

I agree!  I love this one.  Just an FYI--it turns wax melts yellow very quickly when not using dye.  That doesn't bother me but some may find it off putting. 

I'm surprised about the Cuban Tobacco, it smells really good in soy, not quite as strong as I'd like but I did have to cure it for a month to get a good throw.  I use it as a mixer now since I don't usually have time for a 30 day+ cure.  And I agree OOB is incredible.  I need to get back to work, it's been 4 months+ since I've been able to make anything.