Problend 650 test update thread

*Dee*

So I figured I’d just make 1 thread throughout my testing process to better keep track and possibly help future chandlers.. 

so first off a parasoy blend compared to 415 soy is SOOOO different. 😱

so my technic has always been heating with a double boiler with a candy thermometer, bringing wax up to temp and pouring into a large Pyrex glass measuring bowl. Soy has such a lower melt point I’ve never had an issue. My first attempt tonight I poured into the room temp Pyrex and immediately clouded and the wax started hardening on the sides. Stirring helped some but I think the shock just cooled it down to quickly. 

So I removed the top of the dbl boiler and inserted the Pyrex dish into the hot water to bring the wax temp back up. Then removed it and added the FO which immediately clumped into cloudiness. Stirred and it dissolved. Waited a couple minutes and poured into 1 oz portion cups. This was also a 1/2 pound test batch scented with TFC bourbon butterscotch (Yum!)

so next batch i decided to do 1 pound to see if it would be easier to work with. Did the same steps above but while melting the wax I kept the Pyrex dish beside the dbl boiler to help keep it warm. Pouring in seemed better, no cloudiness and a very thin wax hardening line at the top. Let cool for a couple minutes and added FO. It clouded immediately but stirred and dissolved. Then I poured into the portion cups. 

Both times as I poured the wax would start to film up as I poured so at the end I’d pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds to melt down the film and pour half a portion cup. Then used hot water, dawn and washcloth to clean up. But it is a lot messier than pure soy. I wasn’t expecting that for some reason. So a few things that I’ll have to change up to where the temp doesn’t drop so quickly pouring from one to another. Pretty different than soy. I don’t have as much wait time so I have to be quicker and I wasn’t expecting that. Lol 

melted to 185, added FO around 175, the last batch I poured around 150 and I have decent dips in the portion cups. Not sure if I just poured too hot but not sure I wanna pour cooler of half the pour pot may be hard by then. 😂😂

the struggle is definitely real here tonight. But FYI for anyone who’s made it through my short story here, TFC bourbon butterscotch smells pretty darn good and I can’t wait to test burn it! 

And now now I totally thinking about doing a few test mixes of 50% 650 and 50% 415 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

The ky133 not a parasoy blend i know but when I first tried it I got lumps and bumps. What actually solved the lumps and bumps was a longer cooling time. 

I placed my tray on top of the Presto pot and left. When I came back I had smooth tops. Idk if that would help with your dips.

They definitely cool a heck of a lot quicker than the pure soy. And I live in PA so this time of year it’s not very warm and will just get worse lol I don’t have a presto pot yet. The last time I came back and played with wax and soap for a bit they were just starting to come out and be popular. But thinking about buying an 8# with the spigot already attached. I have a gas stove/oven. Wondering if maybe after I pour I put the sheet in the oven to help them cool slower. 🤔 I’ll try that with a batch tomorrow. I have a few more scents to make in the blend so I can have a few family members test the 415 then the blend in the same scents. I’m still shaking my head on why the hell I decided to try a different wax, I now remember how much a pain in the butt it is testing different waxes. But at least I’m just doing melts and not candles again too. Lol