Essential oil and coconut oil percentage

Hi everyone,

I’m new to candle making and love the white beeswax. I read up a lot and saw that  I should be mixing 1/4 cup of coconut oil per pound of wax but didn’t get a ratio of essential oil. My candles smell amazing when I pour them but don’t throw the fragrance when lit. I assume I’ll need to use a lot more. 

Was hoping for advice before I waste fragrance playing around with it. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! 

Essential oils are very difficult to get to work well in candles. Beeswax, especially, is challenging given how hot you need to wick to get a decent burn. Many essential oils are too volatile to survive that temp range. Some will smell distinctly burned or fuel like. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have also been looking for Essential Oil fragrance ratio advice.  I usually make Massage Candles, cosmetic grade soy wax, coconut oil etc...& essential oils for fragrance.

BUT for the holidays, I decided to use the white beeswax that was mistakenly sent to me with coconut oil & a fragrance mix I made with EOs to make the MANY candles our family burns on Christmas eve & Christmas day.

I made the base wax/oil first & stored in mason jars until I had the time to get the production line going (today!)

I made a test candle with the ratio of 1 oz EO to 16 oz Wax/Oil blend (by weight) last week.

It burned well with a hint of the fragrance.  For one candle, I would definitely double the EOs, but since I know we will be burning 20+ candles in a small space,

I am keeping this ratio for this purpose.

These are all poured into containers (mostly pretty colored glass votives between 4-6 ozs)

I am also experimenting with 2 triple wick candles in bowls from the dollar store that fit inside deep, beautiful glass decor bowls that will GLOW when a candle burns inside. 

Last year, all those cheap tealights gave me SUCH a headache! I told my mom I would make beeswax this year & improve the air in the house instead of polluting it!