Getting scent throw from Golden wax 464

Don't concern yourself with the flashpoint of fragrances--it only matters if you're shipping fo by air. It has no impact on when you should add the fragrance to wax. 

I always add at 180/185 F with 464. Make sure you stir thoroughly for a couple minutes. How long are you letting them cure before testing?

• Like 5

I have tried GB 464 soy wax a couple different ways. Adding FO at 180, 150, & 120 degrees. I've tried pouring at both high, med & low temps. I've also tried adding coconut wax in and vybar..curing for 5 days. Still not much hot throw with this wax no matter what I try. I'd say my fragrance throws maybe 2-3 feet away from the candle after 2 hrs burning. (464 soy will not fragrance a large room). Do customers really care if there is some parafin added in a candle? I just can't seem to find a way to get the fragrance performance of a parafin candle from an "all natural" candle. Is there some secret recipe out there that can enlighten us? I've heard of Pure Integrity soy candles, which claim they have the code cracked. Has anyone ever tried their candles or know what waxes/FOs they use?

• Like 1

I make some soy wax melts but not candles. I hate soy but have a lot of it. So I have 2 formulas for it. One has Paraffin in it and the other doesn't. I have some melts that have taken 4 months to cure. Throws for 2 weeks with melter on all day. Just not worth the frustration of waiting. I am making some ahead for the soy fanatics lol but making g the mixed ones for the ones who don't mind some paraffin in it. 

Soy wax needs some heat to throw well.  The new 464 has had to be wicked down so much it just can’t usually reach the temps needed to throw. Have you tried some of the newer wicks, like cottonwood? Cotton core? Or some oldies like eco? All those get hot enough to throw if you can balance the rate of consumption to keep the melt pools shallow.  

I sound like a broken record, but deep, wide melt pools are not necessary for great hot throw. 

• Like 2

@Cheryl moody @Eli n Eli  Sounds like we are in the same boat.  I'm using 464 in pint canning jars and was able to get some kind of a hot throw with Eco 4s, some with Premier 767s with about six fragrances.  Not so with pine fragrances.  Not much of any hot throw and now two weeks away from my winter sale.  :( 

My goal, as so many of you have said, is to get a soy candle with a hot throw you can detect when you walk into a room.  Major retesting will begin with new boxes of wax in December with cottonwoods, Ecos, and Premiers.  Up until now,  I have stuck with 7% (tried 6% a few times) for fragrance load and tested Cds, Premiers, and now Ecos.  Has anyone had hot-throw success with this year's batch of 464 using a higher fragrance load?  That is one thing I haven't tried.  Or, and this may sound crazy, but should I try mixing C3 with 464?  No reason other than to try anything before throwing in the towel.

GoldieMN

If you’re going to try C3, try it alone first.  It’s a nice wax that is harder to burn than most others. Blending it to make 464 “better” is a crap shoot. If just wanting to improve what 464 you already have it may help, but I’d just get away from 464, personally. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

If you’re going to try C3, try it alone first.  It’s a nice wax that is harder to burn than most others. Blending it to make 464 “better” is a crap shoot. If just wanting to improve what 464 you already have it may help, but I’d just get away from 464, personally. 

Well, I may just do that with my next wax order.  Does "harder to burn" mean it is a harder wax or harder to wick?  LOL  Can't imagine anything being harder to wick than this @$#%! 464!

GoldieMN

C3 takes a much larger wick size to burn.  It does not go liquid like 464.  Makes it much easier to get throw when you can wick hotter.

the flip side is now you get to learn the quirky stuff about C3.   It’s by no means a perfect wax.  Not even close. it sure is better, IMO, than any GB waxes have been these last 2 years. 

• Like 1

Make sure your record keeping on the two is strong - I got some C3 after my frustrations with 464, and now I confuse the two sometimes. Good notes are your friend :). But I'm still new at this, so there may be that too, lol.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jerry said:

Make sure your record keeping on the two is strong - I got some C3 after my frustrations with 464, and now I confuse the two sometimes. Good notes are your friend :). But I'm still new at this, so there may be that too, lol.

OMG, I SOOOOOOOOOOO agree with you!  And yet, I still sometimes forget to write something down like wick used in testing which has to be one of the biggest candle-making sins I can commit!  ;)  Then again, I was just thinking the other day about the TONS of notes from the past few years that I should just get rid of.

GoldieMN

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

C3 takes a much larger wick size to burn.  It does not go liquid like 464.  Makes it much easier to get throw when you can wick hotter.

the flip side is now you get to learn the quirky stuff about C3.   It’s by no means a perfect wax.  Not even close. it sure is better, IMO, than any GB waxes have been these last 2 years. 

Thanks!  Looks like I will be doing some research here on C3.  If I can get a good hot throw, I will be very happy.  I'm so over 464 and looking forward to starting over.  Crazy, I know.:laugh2: I've got plenty of higher-numbered wicks from when 464 behaved for me but may still order some of the others you suggested so I can do thorough tests.

GoldieMN

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

Oh, one more thing.  Does C3 differ from lot to lot like 464?  It wouldn't make any sense for me to order a small amount for testing if I have to retest when I order more to pour final product.

GoldieMN

A few years back it went through a weird champagne bubbly phase, but the wicking has been pretty consistent for me for the last year or so. It definitely has NOT required tinier and tinier wicks in my case.

@kandlekrazy uses C3 too. Maybe she can help confirm

• Like 3

Yes. it was when the company was sold, we had lots of bubbles in the first lots after the changes.  It has been bubble free for several years and the past 2 purchases I've made have been stable where I've not had to change fo load or wicks.  I do buy a 6 month supply at a time.

• Like 2