Lard soap

Courtney89

Hi, I'm still working on a recipe that will work for me and I've become curious about lard. I know lots of people use it. My grandpa said it makes the best soap you'll ever use. I plan to sell my soaps in the future and was wondering if having lard as an ingredient affects the sales of soap, just for future reference. I know it is an animal fat which may turn some people off it.

totally depends on your market. Lard wouldn't fly with vegans, for instance. The renfaire has a popular seller that uses tallow, so animal fats are not totally taboo.

In general, make the soap YOU like to use. If YOU like it, the product is easier to make and sell to your target market. Ensure it performs well, does not leave scum in the shower or tub and you're most of the way there.

I personally did not care for lard when starting out. For whatever reason lard gave me DOS even at 100% lard, unscented made for laundry with a low superfat. I always smell the piggy no matter what % in a soap formula, but am totally in love with lard in biscuits.

• Like 1

I make soap with lard and some with palm.  lard are my favorite.  I also sell and have only had a couple people question it.  I just direct them to my non lard soap.  The majority are lard though. 

The key is to make what you want to make.   It takes a long time of playing with recipes and ingredients to find what you  like best.   The soap-making market is over populated these days so having a business is not an easy task.  Lots of work.   I highly recommend enjoying the creating and learning. 

I make both with and w/o and don't have a problem. If for no other reason you should try a lard for yourself to see how you like it. It really makes a lovely rich creamy soap that loves your skin. I use up to 30% in my recipes and don't smell any "piggy" smell at all. The only time I have ever smelled it is when I first heat the lard. Once its in the soap there is no smell.

I have no idea what the hell just happened but let me try this again. The upshot of what I had originally replied to was:  I avoid lard because it smells like pig manure to me. I still use it in my laundry soap because it's cheap but like TT I routinely get DOS with lard. I get it in my laundry soap too, but it's laundry soap and I don't give-a-flip if it has DOS or not. (I probably SHOULD at least care a little) Lard isn't overly impressive as far as a soaping oil to me, I personally think beef tallow does a better job. 

Meh, that's my two cents... 

-Sponiebr

I use only vegetable fats in most of my recipes, but the exception is my Grandma's Old Fashioned Lye Soap.  That one is heavy on the lard.  That way, if customers ask for soap like Granny used to make, I'm good to go, assuming Granny used soapcalc and a metric scale.  :lol: 

I couldn't get past the piggy smell with lard either. But I love the way animal fats soaponify, so I use a rendered tallow instead. I get it from Soaper's Choice, and it does have a bit of a meaty smell when it's hot, but I don't smell it once it's mixed with the oils.

I would also emphasize what the others have said about playing with a variety of oils. Have fun experimenting!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarah S said:

I couldn't get past the piggy smell with lard either. But I love the way animal fats soaponify, so I use a rendered tallow instead. I get it from Soaper's Choice, and it does have a bit of a meaty smell when it's hot, but I don't smell it once it's mixed with the oils.

I would also emphasize what the others have said about playing with a variety of oils. Have fun experimenting!

Soaper's choice beef tallow is wonderful! 

As long as we're talk'n 'bout cheap fats that make GREAT soap, I was, I am, and I will likely BE a HUGE ADVOCATE of using the Great Value Shortening (the one specifically labeled: Made from animal and vegetable fats.) It's a beef tallow and palm oil blend that is the keystone to all of my current soap formulations. (maybe "keystone" is a bit strong, but I'd be REAL damned upset if I couldn't get it anymore.) 

It's CHEAP too... It's only slightly more expensive than lard.

Soapcalc has it listed as Walmart GV, I'm just say'n... 

;)

Sponiebr 

Edited by Sponiebr
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I agree with others in the fact it depends on your target market. Most of the craft fairs I sell at are in a rural farm setting so lard would not be a problem at all. However, I don't like working with lard or the way it feels in soaps so I don't use it.

Try it out and see how you like it. If you are worried about sales, make both lard and vegan friendly bars.

Edited by Jcandleattic

I find that the closest I can get to matching the feeling of lard in soap is a combo of palm and shea butter. It will give you that lovely creamy feel and texture of lard. But one thing it can not mimic and that is how well a lard soap will clear your skin. A good lard soap works wonders if you have problems with skin blemishes, acne, pimples, etc. It is also fantastic for sensitive and allergy skin types. I have customers that buy my lard soap by the armload telling me its the only soap they have ever been able to use on their sensitive or itchy skin and others who come back to tell me how nicely their skin or their daughters/sons/family members skin has cleared up. I continue to make lard soap just because I have customers who love it. But most of my soaps are still vegan because that is what sells the most in my area.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Candybee said:

A good lard soap works wonders if you have problems with skin blemishes, acne, pimples, etc.

And I am just the opposite. I break out and get oily skin when I use lard soaps which is why I don't use it in my recipes and try to avoid it in bars I purchase.