Etsy Store Suggestions

aptommo

I'm not sure if it's okay to post my store address but I'd be really appreciative of anyone that could help me out, just look over the few things I've added and tell me if you think it works or is terrible. I have never had a store for anything other than selling random stuff on Ebay so I'm not sure if what I'm doing is appealing or appalling! :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aptommo said:

I'm not sure if it's okay to post my store address but I'd be really appreciative of anyone that could help me out, just look over the few things I've added and tell me if you think it works or is terrible. I have never had a store for anything other than selling random stuff on Ebay so I'm not sure if what I'm doing is appealing or appalling! :)

@aptommo Update your profile with you store link in it.

• Like 2

Ok, just first impressions from a very quick look:

1) try to include at least one photo of how the item will look packaged.

2) include dimensions and weights. It helps to have one photo with an item to show the scale, like a quarter or a ruler.

3) a simple photo taken With a super duper simple light box with a solid or white background will often get you more clicks. Amazon has super cheapie light box kits, or you can make one at home with a box or clear tote box and a sheet of poster board. You can use simple outside light for nice images. 

4) Browse etsy for similar items offered by the top sellers.  Use their most popular tags to be found in th searches toward the front. 

• Like 5

Okay thanks for looking! I was having issues with the photos and didn't love how they came out. I'll try your suggestions!! I'm looking on Amazon right now for a light kit.

I had only put the weight on the ones I planned to sell by that. Maybe I need to rethink that too then!  :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, aptommo said:

Okay thanks for looking! I was having issues with the photos and didn't love how they came out. I'll try your suggestions!! I'm looking on Amazon right now for a light kit.

I had only put the weight on the ones I planned to sell by that. Maybe I need to rethink that too then!  :)

It will always be 1 that will order the "large" not knowing how many ounces it is and they will think its small. Not having the weight gives no detail on the actual size without dimensions. 

• Like 2

Net Weight is a labeling requirement in the US for products sold in a “solid” state, like wax melts. Yournproduct weight may exceed the stated weight, but not fall below.

Selling product by weight can be tricky, especially at markets. Reps from the department of weights and measures have been known to want to inspect the scale and certify it in the name of consumer protection.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Net Weight is a labeling requirement in the US for products sold in a “solid” state, like wax melts. Yournproduct weight may exceed the stated weight, but not fall below.

Selling product by weight can be tricky, especially at markets. Reps from the department of weights and measures have been known to want to inspect the scale and certify it in the name of consumer protection.  

Oh I didn't know any of this! Maybe I'll change that and not sell by weight on anything then. I will still put measurements and weights up with better pics. I have a light kit coming on Saturday. Anything else you can say between now and then is more than welcome! :)

• Like 1

The easiest is net weight, making sure to always pour slightly above the stated weight. 

Practice with some freeware photo photo editing software like Picasa or GIMP (a photoshop freeware knockoff). Practice with white balance so your pictures look consistent from one to the next. Once you figure out your style try to get all of your photos to look cohesive, like you would be able to tell they are yours at a glance. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

The easiest is net weight, making sure to always pour slightly above the stated weight. 

Practice with some freeware photo photo editing software like Picasa or GIMP (a photoshop freeware knockoff). Practice with white balance so your pictures look consistent from one to the next. Once you figure out your style try to get all of your photos to look cohesive, like you would be able to tell they are yours at a glance. 

is it okay to put a banner with my business name in the background of all my pictures or no?

3 minutes ago, ShelleyF said:

is it okay to put a banner with my business name in the background of all my pictures or no?

I don’t see why not.  If it complements your brand and product photo then it makes sense. 

Otherwise, your brand can appear in a photo of the product packaging, as a watermark, or other feature in the photo.

i would love if @Forrest would help with an article, or maybe a series with us to learn a bit about his mad photography skills. We can always up our game. Learning from a photography super star is a great head start. 

• Like 1

Ok, remember my product photos are really old... please be gentle. The company has been rebranded since these were useful, so I’m embarking on photographing every single product once again. my favorite Nikon D70 camera began to seriously malfunction right around the rebrand, and the new replacement (Nikon D5300) did not work as well with the old lenses. Took the wind out of my sails completely. I finally got around to replacing all of that and need a kick into gear to finish. All of that said to let you know I’ve been quite lazy with my own photos. 

I chose a slate tile background simply because my photos did not look appealing with stark white. The decision means I will never show up in the galleries of favorites or other tools that assist sellers. The upside is I always know when a photo is mine. I enjoy “blurred” background keeping the focus on an area of the product itself, but it’s not necessary when a photo is composed well. The lighting here is easily critiqued as it has shadows cast all wrong. 

The photo below is a screen capture from etsy. The original image is much sharper and scalable. This is just to give an idea of how packaging can be included in a photo, how your logo can be included, and how you can make it more challenging for someone to use your product photo as their own. 

2D3F9BC2-14B7-4C36-B074-7170718F14CC.jpeg

• Like 3

Oh wow I hadn't even thought someone might want to steal pictures of my melts. I'm not sure how that benefits them unless they are selling exactly the same things? I really shouldn't be surprised though. Maybe I'll watermark them with my logo since I don't really have packaging like that picture above. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

i would love if @Forrest would help with an article, or maybe a series with us to learn a bit about his mad photography skills. We can always up our game. Learning from a photography super star is a great head start. 

I'm going to need a shovel. My "mad photography skills" generally only apply to landscapes and grandchildren, but I might be able to do a little something when I get time. I like your picture because I can see the product and the label and the background doesn't detract from it.

• Like 2

Okay the 5 listings I have up have new size/oz and better pictures. Can you guys please take a glance and tell me if anything else needs corrected or just doesn't seem right please? I'm trying to avoid fixing a ton of stuff later! :)

The cohesiveness is really beginning to pull together. The light box makes a difference. Play a little with white balance as you go forward to brighten. See if you like the look. 

A couple did not have a size, can’t remember which off hand. One photo o each listing with something like a quarter or cute ruler to show scale will help, especially with smaller items. Etsy buyers are very visual. 

For shipping, have you used the calculated shipping option that is based on size and weight? $5.95 for a single melt is what etsy shows for my area.

15 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

For shipping, have you used the calculated shipping option that is based on size and weight? $5.95 for a single melt is what etsy shows for my area.

I had it set that way but I didn't appreciate how much they jack up the price if someone wants to buy more than 1. Especially since a lot of my items will be single melts. They don't want to spend $11.95 to ship 2 bear melts when it actually only will cost the same. I don't know, I struggled with the shipping over and over and still am not sold on how I'm doing it.

The calculated shipping can work really well. You just need to set the dimensions of the item and the weight of the item.  The tool then computes the overall dimensions and weight to arrive at the freight/shipping cost. 

I use it for all my etsy items and it always calculates the weights within reasonable tolerances when I set the size/weight well. It takes a little practice, but has saved my bacon quite a few times. 

Just now, TallTayl said:

The calculated shipping can work really well. You just need to set the dimensions of the item and the weight of the item.  The tool then computes the overall dimensions and weight to arrive at the freight/shipping cost. 

I use it for all my etsy items and it always calculates the weights within reasonable tolerances when I set the size/weight well. It takes a little practice, but has saved my bacon quite a few times. 

Okay I'll go back and read it over again, I think I was putting in the overall dimensions and weight of the box and if you add an ounce or two more it won't likely change my shipping cost or the box shipping in so that was my dilemma. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2018 at 7:58 PM, TallTayl said:

I've been wondering why nearly all my fragrances that I order have no weight listings on them.