Need to melt down wax in lots of jars

So our "sampler" jars are overflowing.  We've probably got at least 50 that we need to melt down so we can re-use the jars.  Any suggestions for doing so in a mass melting way?  I'm a little afraid to do them all in the oven, because I did that once and had a terrible "waxident" where I dropped the slippery cookie sheet full of melted jars.  HUGE mess!

What sort of jars? If straight sided, like status or tumblers, pop them in the freezer (if you didn't use wick stickers or adhesive) and the wax should pop out.

If the jars have narrow necks, I don't have much to suggest because I experienced the same problem. Tried the oven, hot water baths, coffee mug warmers (the exact same product is sometimes sold as candle jar warmers/melters). Broke/shattered several jars. Gave up. The warmer worked the best but it took -forever- for one jar and I wasn't about to line the counter with twenty of them. I guess a griddle on a very low setting could work - similar to preheating the jars.

Edited by Kerven
  • Like 1

I always use the oven and cookie sheets, but I remove the jars one at a time to wipe down and clean them each immediately while they are still hot.  I don't take the whole cookie sheet of jars out of the oven at one time.  I've never had any mishaps or breakage and I've re-purposed some jars at least a dozen times.  I'm sure the day will come...

• Like 2

Have never had to melt down that many jars at one time but that said,,,,,,,the ones that I do remelt, I do in a pan of hot water on the stove....once melted, I pour the contents into a larger jar (hurricane type).........layer by layer.......as the remelting continues....once I have finished remelting all those unused candles into one large jar.........I poke some holes in the finished product and insert the appropriate wick.........once the candles actually burns down from one layer to the next, I certainly enjoy my creations and many times actually wonder....what the heck is that scent???

Ellajoan, if there is any way I can help you in disposing of those unwanted scents,  I am more than willing to help you out.........just send me any any unwanted samples........I am more than willing to help you ........ ya know,  if we have some ''pours'' that we are not happy with, it may help our fellow man  to step in where needed..........

But all that said, you really don't  need any of us here at the forum to help you.........just melt down any of those '''''experiments''', pour the contents into a larger container, set it aside and pour more layers when the times comes.........over a short period of time, you will end up with a container that has several layers of ''''past failed"" experiments.............insert wicks and enjoy  :-)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I may give the oven a try the next time I have a large batch of candles to melt down. I have the same issue, about 100 or more old test candles that I want to melt down and reuse the jars. Just last night I took about 6 of them and melted them down in the microwave and in a pan of boiling water. Candles with attached wicks I boil in the pan and candles w/o wicks attached I zap in the microwave in short bursts. I kept the candle scents separate and made fire starters with them. Right now, with all my old test candles, I plan on turning them into either fire starters or wax melts. I hate to throw something away if I can reuse it some how, LOL. It's fun to get creative and come up with new ideas too.

On 11/3/2018 at 7:03 PM, Pam W said:

....once melted, I pour the contents into a larger jar (hurricane type).........layer by layer.......as the remelting continues....once I have finished remelting all those unused candles into one large jar.........I poke some holes in the finished product and insert the appropriate wick.........once the candles actually burns down from one layer to the next, I certainly enjoy my creations and many times actually wonder....what the heck is that scent???

That's a good idea too.