Plastic Cups for Wax Melts

Moonstar

1 hour ago, *Dee* said:

If I remember correctly from years ago polypropylene #5 on the bottom in the recycle 

Yes it is.

I'm surprised at the companies that still carry the PVC for b&b and candlemaking I remember my first sprays I made. O M G I sprayed it and had to shower. Talk about disgusting. It was nothing but a plastic smell and that's when I learned about different types of plastics and to read the description all the way to the bottom 😂😂  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello. I noticed this post and I'm wondering what type of plastic the wax melt clamshells are made of? Anybody know or should I contact the company and ask? They don't always state in the product description what type of plastic they are. Since they are so popular for scented wax then you would think they are made of safe plastic or the type of plastic that doesn't suck the scent out of the product. 

Speaking of PVC, and the example above with the body spray, is that why nobody uses these clear plastic boxes for their scented products? These boxes are cute and would display product perfectly. https://www.bathessential.com/proddetail.php?prod=ClearBox-4

I'm looking for box type packaging, preferably clear, for my loose wax tart shapes. Thanks for any advice on this.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 1:21 PM, Laura C said:

Hello. I noticed this post and I'm wondering what type of plastic the wax melt clamshells are made of? Anybody know or should I contact the company and ask? They don't always state in the product description what type of plastic they are. Since they are so popular for scented wax then you would think they are made of safe plastic or the type of plastic that doesn't suck the scent out of the product. 

Speaking of PVC, and the example above with the body spray, is that why nobody uses these clear plastic boxes for their scented products? These boxes are cute and would display product perfectly. https://www.bathessential.com/proddetail.php?prod=ClearBox-4

I'm looking for box type packaging, preferably clear, for my loose wax tart shapes. Thanks for any advice on this.

It looks as though they are PVC. I'm guessing that's not a good plastic but not sure. I've stayed away from  polyethylene and make sure they're polypropylene. Maybe PVC is polyethylene. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Belinda said:

It looks as though they are PVC. I'm guessing that's not a good plastic but not sure. I've stayed away from  polyethylene and make sure they're polypropylene. Maybe PVC is polyethylene. 

Thanks @Belinda. I'm not sure which plastic PVC is made of but after my recent wax melt clamshell searches I was able to find out that a lot if not all of those type clamshells are made with PVC.

Just putting this out there, so it seems that PVC is ok to use and it won't degrade scented products. I haven't heard of anyone complaining that their wax melt clamshells have "sucked the scent out" of their products. Anyone got additional info to share on this topic?

• 4 months later...

I recently bought some PP #5 plastic 2oz portion cups w/lids at Dollar Tree, they're great and good quality. It's real handy if you need some ASAP or in a small quantity just to try them out. I have a Dollar Tree just down the street as opposed to driving farther to Walmart where they are even cheaper.

https://www.dollartree.com/clear-plastic-condiment-cups-with-lids-10ct-packs/175525

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CandleRush said:

I love and use those, our grocery store sells them.

If I have any left over wax I pour them into the cups, using them later in my wax melter. 🌸

Yes, I do that too, easy and cheap. LOL

Edited by Laura C

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...