I'm planning to run a wax and wick test on 6006. Right now I plan on testing zinc core, CD and HTP wicks. For those of you that use 6006 are there any other wicks that you really like in 6006?

• Like 1

I recently ran Zinc, CD, HTP, LX, and ECO for 6006 in a 8oz Libbey Rocks.  LX and HTP came out ahead, with HTP outperforming LX as it did not product any soot for the majority of the scents I wanted.   CD ran too hot and Zinc mushroomed like crazy.  

• Thanks 2

I haven't used 6006, but I have used CBL130, which is similar. I really liked the HTPs with it. They get hot enough to throw well, but not so hot that you'd run into a lot of problems.

• Thanks 1

I'll be very interested to read your results.  I use CD wicks but I'm always open to the "silver bullet" of wick choice

• Like 2

The mushrooming with zinc wicks is significantly reduced with a proper cure time and keeping the FO load at 6%.  I don't get any more mushrooming with zinc wicks than with any others in 6006.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just ordered a sample pack of LX wicks, as those seem to be the only recommended wicks that I didn't have. So I'll be testing CD, LX, Zinc, and HTP wicks. Now I have to decide how many sizes of each to test. With my travel schedule it looks like mid to late December before I can run the test.

let us know if HTP and CD burn the same.  Rumor has it they are one and the same. A few recent threads were bumped about this.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

let us know if HTP and CD burn the same.  Rumor has it they are one and the same. A few recent threads were bumped about this.

It seems that CD's tend to lean to one side,  but I've never seen that with HTP's before.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I'll post all my data with pictures in the Wax and Wick Tests section. It is about time my "vintage" wax had a seat at the table🙂

22 hours ago, birdcharm said:

It seems that CD's tend to lean to one side,  but I've never seen that with HTP's before.  

Back when I was trying to double wick my 11oz tureens I gave up on HTPs because they leaned so much my melt pool was way off center. My CDs do tend to lean, but not so much that it has been an issue yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forrest said:

Back when I was trying to double wick my 11oz tureens I gave up on HTPs because they leaned so much my melt pool was way off center. My CDs do tend to lean, but not so much that it has been an issue yet.

That's interesting ... I've mainly used HTP104's and have never had that problem.  I'm going to be test burning a smaller size in a few days, I'll have to see if it leans!  Also, I poured the tureen my neighbor presented me with, she wants one wick only if at all possible.  I'll try.  😭

• Like 2

15 hours ago, birdcharm said:

That's interesting ... I've mainly used HTP104's and have never had that problem.  I'm going to be test burning a smaller size in a few days, I'll have to see if it leans!  Also, I poured the tureen my neighbor presented me with, she wants one wick only if at all possible.  I'll try.  😭

I think my problem with the HTPs had a lot to do with the air currents tureens produce. When I double wicked and filled them half way the flames would be sideways as soon as I lit them and they both leaned the same direction. Those currents were so bad tea light size wicks were to big. The correct wick for an 11oz tureen with 6006 seems to be somewhere between a CD10 and CD12, depending on the FO. The thing is if you have a FMP at the wide part you get the air currents and it burns too hot. If you have wax on the sides you avoid the currents. So you need the smallest wick that will melt all the wax.

4 hours ago, Forrest said:

I think my problem with the HTPs had a lot to do with the air currents tureens produce. When I double wicked and filled them half way the flames would be sideways as soon as I lit them and they both leaned the same direction. Those currents were so bad tea light size wicks were to big. The correct wick for an 11oz tureen with 6006 seems to be somewhere between a CD10 and CD12, depending on the FO. The thing is if you have a FMP at the wide part you get the air currents and it burns too hot. If you have wax on the sides you avoid the currents. So you need the smallest wick that will melt all the wax.

I decided to go with an HTP wick for my test and I have no idea what this wick is, lol, but I have enough of them to do this project, so if it works, great!  They were samples from a long time ago, and I don't even think this wick is still being made ... I don't know ... I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything on it.  In any event, I'm going to give it a try ... HTP1515.  I'm using GW464 without adding anything except f/o (no stearic or color).  I'm glad you're figuring out your tureens with your wax.