Wicks for 6006

I just ordered a sample pack of LX wicks, as those seem to be the only recommended wicks that I didn't have. So I'll be testing CD, LX, Zinc, and HTP wicks. Now I have to decide how many sizes of each to test. With my travel schedule it looks like mid to late December before I can run the test.

17 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

let us know if HTP and CD burn the same.  Rumor has it they are one and the same. A few recent threads were bumped about this.

It seems that CD's tend to lean to one side,  but I've never seen that with HTP's before.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TallTayl said:

let us know if HTP and CD burn the same.  Rumor has it they are one and the same. A few recent threads were bumped about this.

I'll post all my data with pictures in the Wax and Wick Tests section. It is about time my "vintage" wax had a seat at the table🙂

22 hours ago, birdcharm said:

It seems that CD's tend to lean to one side,  but I've never seen that with HTP's before.  

Back when I was trying to double wick my 11oz tureens I gave up on HTPs because they leaned so much my melt pool was way off center. My CDs do tend to lean, but not so much that it has been an issue yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forrest said:

Back when I was trying to double wick my 11oz tureens I gave up on HTPs because they leaned so much my melt pool was way off center. My CDs do tend to lean, but not so much that it has been an issue yet.

That's interesting ... I've mainly used HTP104's and have never had that problem.  I'm going to be test burning a smaller size in a few days, I'll have to see if it leans!  Also, I poured the tureen my neighbor presented me with, she wants one wick only if at all possible.  I'll try.  😭

• Like 2

15 hours ago, birdcharm said:

That's interesting ... I've mainly used HTP104's and have never had that problem.  I'm going to be test burning a smaller size in a few days, I'll have to see if it leans!  Also, I poured the tureen my neighbor presented me with, she wants one wick only if at all possible.  I'll try.  😭

I think my problem with the HTPs had a lot to do with the air currents tureens produce. When I double wicked and filled them half way the flames would be sideways as soon as I lit them and they both leaned the same direction. Those currents were so bad tea light size wicks were to big. The correct wick for an 11oz tureen with 6006 seems to be somewhere between a CD10 and CD12, depending on the FO. The thing is if you have a FMP at the wide part you get the air currents and it burns too hot. If you have wax on the sides you avoid the currents. So you need the smallest wick that will melt all the wax.

4 hours ago, Forrest said:

I think my problem with the HTPs had a lot to do with the air currents tureens produce. When I double wicked and filled them half way the flames would be sideways as soon as I lit them and they both leaned the same direction. Those currents were so bad tea light size wicks were to big. The correct wick for an 11oz tureen with 6006 seems to be somewhere between a CD10 and CD12, depending on the FO. The thing is if you have a FMP at the wide part you get the air currents and it burns too hot. If you have wax on the sides you avoid the currents. So you need the smallest wick that will melt all the wax.

I decided to go with an HTP wick for my test and I have no idea what this wick is, lol, but I have enough of them to do this project, so if it works, great!  They were samples from a long time ago, and I don't even think this wick is still being made ... I don't know ... I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything on it.  In any event, I'm going to give it a try ... HTP1515.  I'm using GW464 without adding anything except f/o (no stearic or color).  I'm glad you're figuring out your tureens with your wax.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking forward to this as well - I am going to test 6006 after the first of the year. I've been concentrating on growing my melt business and have been haphazardly testing in my 4630/415 blend but not methodically like I need it. It seems to really need wicking up, and I really have lost my patience for it.   When I sold candles 10+ yrs ago, I was using  a 70/30 blend from Greenleaf and it was super easy to wick - almost all ecos and a few LX.    

2 hours ago, Velma said:

Looking forward to this as well - I am going to test 6006 after the first of the year. I've been concentrating on growing my melt business and have been haphazardly testing in my 4630/415 blend but not methodically like I need it. It seems to really need wicking up, and I really have lost my patience for it.   When I sold candles 10+ yrs ago, I was using  a 70/30 blend from Greenleaf and it was super easy to wick - almost all ecos and a few LX.    

I poured 2 pans Wednesday, so I can start burn testing in two weeks. I did not test ECOs, but I have them. I'm planing on one more pan based on the results from the first two so I might test them then

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 3:53 PM, birdcharm said:

I finished my test and the results are in the Wax and Wick forum. The HTP 73 and 83 made deep craters, but the HTP 93 had a good melt pool. I poured tins with the 93 and 104 yesterday. I can't wait to see how they do.

On 12/7/2018 at 3:23 PM, Velma said:

Check out the 6006 test results in the Wax and Wick forum. It should provide a good starting point for testing 6006.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 1:08 PM, bfroberts said:

The mushrooming with zinc wicks is significantly reduced with a proper cure time and keeping the FO load at 6%.  I don't get any more mushrooming with zinc wicks than with any others in 6006.

what cure time do you recommend with 6006? I usually do a min of 2 weeks with soy. Also, what benefit do zinc wicks have? I haven't seen any here, wicks containing more than 0.06% lead were banned in 2002 apparently. we have CDN and HTP  and some "generic" types !

6 hours ago, obsessed said:

what cure time do you recommend with 6006? I usually do a min of 2 weeks with soy. Also, what benefit do zinc wicks have? I haven't seen any here, wicks containing more than 0.06% lead were banned in 2002 apparently. we have CDN and HTP  and some "generic" types ! 

I am not bfroberts, and she has way more experience than I do, but, I use zinc core 51 wicks as my base wick for 8oz tins, based on her recommendation, and when everything works mushrooming isn't a significant issue. When the zinc core is too large they do tend to mushroom; I use a higher FO load than she does so it is worse for me. CDs also work well in 6006, but tend to smoke badly when over wicked. I'm just learning about HTPs, my problem with them is they curl and this causes the MP to be off center. I did a test with CD, zinc, HTP, and LX wicks and the results are in the Wax & Wick Test section of this forum. As for cure time what I do know is that if you have a longer cure time you would need a bigger wick, so if your candle is a little over wicked  at two weeks it might be perfect at 8 weeks.

7 hours ago, obsessed said:

Zinc wicks don't contain lead.  I use them simply because they are the wicks that work best for me in 6006. I've used just about every wick out there and always go back to zinc.

I always wick 6006 based on a long cure. My 6006 candles burn differently at one week vs. one month. I cure for a minimum of 2 weeks before selling, but I learned how to wick 6006 based on a longer cure than that.   I think it is important that if you start testing 6006, hold off on burning one for a month or more to compare to a candle you've burned with a shorter cure.  You may need to adjust your wick size accordingly, as I did.

• 2 years later...
On 11/7/2018 at 12:58 PM, TallTayl said:

That is what I read somewhere also.................. HTP  is produced in US and CD in Germany but essentially the same.

I am new at this so don't quote me.