Overheated 464?

With 464, if you melt it in a presto pot for larger batches, how hot is too hot?  Or does it matter?  I have been using my presto pot for bigger batches and sometimes it gets the wax over 200 degrees.  I'm having a bit of trouble with poor hot throw lately and I'm wondering if there's a correlation?  Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

Someone else can address the possible problems with that high of a melt temp, but I'm constantly battling hot throw problems with 464 and only heat to 185.  So thinking it is the wax not the 200 degrees.  Some of us are having to wick down to get some kind of a hot throw.  Lots and lots of wick testing and needing to repeat testing with each new lot of 464.  By the way, I bought a thermometer with an alarm to warn me when my wax was getting to a certain temperature (you set the temp you want the alarm to go off at) since I would get busy with something else and find my wax too hot.  

GoldieMN

• Like 2

I think the main problem with heating too high is that some additives could start to degrade along with the oils, which may be more vulnerable to oxidation and polymerization at high temps.

I wouldn't go beyond 200F with 464 or any commonly used plant-based wax.

Hot throw has been a problem with 464 for a while. It's definitely the wax. Still not certain what about the wax is causing such diminished throws - maybe a new additive or too much additive (do they use vybar in 464?).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, burnsv1 said:

With 464, if you melt it in a presto pot for larger batches, how hot is too hot?  Or does it matter?  I have been using my presto pot for bigger batches and sometimes it gets the wax over 200 degrees.  I'm having a bit of trouble with poor hot throw lately and I'm wondering if there's a correlation?  Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

I noticed when I was using 464, that if it heated over 200 degrees, it would affect the appearance of the tops. Like Kerven said, it’s like the high temps start to break down the natural components of the wax. I quit using 464 about a year ago—was just having too many problems!

• Like 1