Holes Around The Wick Problem Again!

4 hours ago, Arch Rock said:

I do believe they are one and the same.

One-pour & single-pour are "one and the same"? I think that's what you're telling me. Just different terms for the same thing. If so, then I have learned something already today :yay:and I thank you.:bow:

4 hours ago, Arch Rock said:

"Every expert was once a novice."  Keep your chin up.  When I start over-thinking things I go back to basics.

What you just said has more good information packed in there than you may even realize. "Every expert was once a novice."  We use the term "craft" today in many different senses.  I wouldn't have any idea when the word craft was first used to refer to something like all the different hobbies out there. Way back when, hundreds and thousands of years ago, it generally referred to one's job or trade; his or her "craft". We still use that meaning today. If a young person wanted to become a stonemason, goldsmith or in our case a candle maker, they would sign on as an apprentice under someone who was a master of the trade. We all know the story. At first the apprentice was given menial jobs and assisted the master. Little by little they learned the craft and next became a journeyman. All this time the master craftsman was watching and teaching at the level that he felt the student could handle. Eventually the once apprentice became a master and either took over the business or went out on his own. Today, you still see this system in the unionized jobs like electricians, carpenters and such as that. 

I've forgotten what I was trying to say here :lol:.  Generally though, I think we in the candle craft still do this but in the modern form such as forums like this. 

• Like 4

On 11/4/2018 at 10:18 AM, Quentin said:

One-pour & single-pour are "one and the same"? I think that's what you're telling me. Just different terms for the same thing. If so, then I have learned something already today :yay:and I thank you.:bow:

Ok, I use a single pour wax for my containers but do run into a problem once in a while.........even tho I follow all the directions for a single/one pour wax, sometimes the Gods interfer (I'm assuming just to test me).....in trying to diagnose the problem, there are so many different avenues,....1) maybe the pouring temps were off a little  2) maybe the ambient temps were off a little while the candles were cooling, 3) maybe I just poured that particular container too fast.........3) maybe that particular container was a little cooler than others.

I just enjoy burning my candles and enjoy sharing them with others...

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2018 at 6:43 PM, Pam W said:

Ok, I use a single pour wax for my containers but do run into a problem once in a while.........even tho I follow all the directions for a single/one pour wax, sometimes the Gods interfer (I'm assuming just to test me).....in trying to diagnose the problem, there are so many different avenues,....1) maybe the pouring temps were off a little  2) maybe the ambient temps were off a little while the candles were cooling, 3) maybe I just poured that particular container too fast.........3) maybe that particular container was a little cooler than others.

I just enjoy burning my candles and enjoy sharing them with others...

Back to basics. If I do otherwise, I will go insane. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2018 at 11:17 AM, TallTayl said:

Those very specific terms of “optimal conditions” are important. Optimal conditions can include ambient temperature and humidity as kerven already noted, and you witnessed during warmer months. 

the container size and material are also factors when defining optimal conditions. A tin will cool very quickly allowing for cavities to form as soon as the top skins over. Very heavy glass vessels may or may not develop cavities, it all depends on the “rate” of cooling.

people can scoff all they want. Variables matter. You’re right to question @Quentin

Conditions are always going to be something to consider, so, in that case, no answer given is going to be a true-for-everyone--every time remedy.  Yet, with some waxes that are not too particular, you may not have to do cartwheels in order to get them to perform to your liking.  In those cases, if someone knows a wax very well and has used it under varied conditions, most likely it's pretty safe for them to say that their experience tells them its not so finicky.  I don't think Scented Pleasurez was boasting about knowing everything about this wax, but clearly, she seems to feel from her experience that it was safe to say that it performs well under a wide range of conditions and she was trying to give advice regarding that point.

On 11/1/2018 at 6:53 PM, ScentedPleasurez said:

This is a true 1 pour. I have worked with this wax for numerous years. You do not have to do all this extra. If you pour at the correct temp you will get an amazing candle every single time.  

@TallTayl, I'd like to know if ScentedPleasurez wished to change her mind about posting here, could she?  I mean ... has she been banned from posting?  And, if so, may we know why?

Edited by birdcharm
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, birdcharm said:

Conditions are always going to be something to consider, so, in that case, no answer given is going to be a true-for-everyone--every time remedy.  Yet, with some waxes that are not too particular, you may not have to do cartwheels in order to get them to perform to your liking.  In those cases, if someone knows a wax very well and has used it under varied conditions, most likely it's pretty safe for them to say that their experience tells them its not so finicky.  I don't think Scented Pleasurez was boasting about knowing everything about this wax, but clearly, she seems to feel from her experience that it was safe to say that it performs well under a wide range of conditions and she was trying to give advice regarding that point.

@TallTayl, I'd like to know if ScentedPleasurez wished to change her mind about posting here, could she?  I mean ... has she been banned from posting?  And, if so, may we know why?

I was wondering as well. She is really nice and tries to help out a lot. Tones are hard to tell in words. I don't think she meant anything mean. She gets along with everyone here.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Not that I have any skin in the game, but her comments sounded (read) pretty snarky to my eyes.  

They were imo as well

she was extremely rude not only to Quentin but to the very person that keeps this forum running for us as well 

We need to trust TT’s decisions and be grateful we have this place to come to 

People will always have disagreements but I don’t feel there is a place here to belittle others trying to learn 🤷‍♀️That’s my pennies worth 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Not that I have any skin in the game, but her comments sounded (read) pretty snarky to my eyes.  

5 hours ago, moonshine said:

They were imo as well

she was extremely rude not only to Quentin but to the very person that keeps this forum running for us as well 

We need to trust TT’s decisions and be grateful we have this place to come to 

People will always have disagreements but I don’t feel there is a place here to belittle others trying to learn 🤷‍♀️That’s my pennies worth 

I may have mentioned I'm NOT a chandler but I have seen this sort of behavior in other places. I agree with BOTH of you and with TT... I'm here because that kind of behavior doesn't happen, (well, doesn't happen very OFTEN), here on CS. And that's MY 2 cents. 

• Like 1

Everyone take a deep breath.  Nobody was intentionally banned,  the forum software is convoluted and sometimes does weird things. I won’t go into details, just know I dug in to the back end and untangled a giant mess. 

Let’s all remember why we are here. This is a sharing site. We were all beginners once. We were all new to a community once.  We are all ‘broken’  in some way outside of the community an seek an escape from the unlleasantness of the outside world. We found each other here to enjoy a community that lifts our crafting skills allowing us to lift the next person. The knowledge shared by those before us is what propells us forward.  We put in the time and figure out new things, test new technology, and discover how to navigate these new wax and wick issues. We do it together. Not everyone fits the culture, so in that case there are other forums and Facebook. No worries. 

I’ve been part of that forum noted in earlier posts and have had a dagger squarely placed in my heart for not understanding the culture.  It is not a place anyone wants to be any longer, aside from those lonely few who continue to throw the daggers.  That is not us. 

Craft on family. The holidays are here, let’s spread some cheer. Show me some candles.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

I may have mentioned I'm NOT a chandler but I have seen this sort of behavior in other places. I agree with BOTH of you and with TT... I'm here because that kind of behavior doesn't happen, (well, doesn't happen very OFTEN), here on CS. And that's MY 2 cents. 

...and that type treatment shouldn't be tolerated either.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I was wondering as well. She is really nice and tries to help out a lot. Tones are hard to tell in words. I don't think she meant anything mean. She gets along with everyone here.

That's mostly true Shelley, but the implication in her quote here is pretty clear. That being that I have no common sense. 

On 11/2/2018 at 11:50 AM, ScentedPleasurez said:

I will not tell you my pour temp and shouldn't be asked, that's up to you to figure out on your own as I did. 

It's common sense if you are pouring I at a temp and u keep having issues you try a different temp. It's all a part of testing.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:00 PM, ScentedPleasurez said:

Why do u need to determine that? Adjust your pour temp and try again. You are making things harder than they are. You are being given your answer and you now have to determine something else. 

Nobody helped me I tested and tested but in all my testing I never had holes. 

Candle making isn't for everyone that's for sure. I seen someone (not here)calculating her costs and had nearly 7$ for her wax on a 7 oz candle. Kinda makes u wonder about her Candle making if her math isn't right for costs😂

----

"You are being given your answer and you now have to determine something else."  This one is pretty clear too. "Quentin, you idiot. You still don't get it?" [Imagine sitting in my chair when you read this one posted on a forum]

29 minutes ago, Quentin said:

----

"You are being given your answer and you now have to determine something else."  This one is pretty clear too. "Quentin, you idiot. You still don't get it?" [Imagine sitting in my chair when you read this one posted on a forum]

I think what she's trying to say is you're making it harder than it needs to be.I've had someone tell me that before and they were right I was making it harder then it really was. I don't think she was trying to be mean but if she was I'm sure she would apologize if she was able to. She cannot login to the site anymore she has been banned. Waiting for the software to get fixed so she can get back onto the site.

I do see where it appears that she was telling you you should know this but I try to look at the good in everyone. I have a habit of reading things as being mean  even though they are not. That is why I hate writing my thoughts because a lot of people think I am mean too when that is the last thing on my mind. It is good to ask questions but some people are private about giving every variable.I don't tell people my pour temperature because I don't even know what it is. But everybody's melter's heat differently so that wouldn't be fair to tell you that because it wouldn't work exactly the same for you.so maybe she was just saying just try it again until you get it to what you want to be. If the ban gets lifted she will be back on here soon. I haven't been doing this a very long time either so I ask a lot of questions.there is one member on here that I know was being mean to me because they were using caps a lot. So I called them out and now they don't bother me anymore lol you will get there just keep trying that's the secret to all of this. It is hard but it is worth it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ShelleyF said:

I think what she's trying to say is you're making it harder than it needs to be.I've had someone tell me that before and they were right I was making it harder then it really was. I don't think she was trying to be mean but if she was I'm sure she would apologize if she was able to. She cannot login to the site anymore she has been banned. Waiting for the software to get fixed so she can get back onto the site.

I do see where it appears that she was telling you you should know this but I try to look at the good in everyone. I have a habit of reading things as being mean  even though they are not. That is why I hate writing my thoughts because a lot of people think I am mean too when that is the last thing on my mind. It is good to ask questions but some people are private about giving every variable.I don't tell people my pour temperature because I don't even know what it is. But everybody's melter's heat differently so that wouldn't be fair to tell you that because it wouldn't work exactly the same for you.so maybe she was just saying just try it again until you get it to what you want to be. If the ban gets lifted she will be back on here soon. I haven't been doing this a very long time either so I ask a lot of questions.there is one member on here that I know was being mean to me because they were using caps a lot. So I called them out and now they don't bother me anymore lol you will get there just keep trying that's the secret to all of this. It is hard but it is worth it.

Maybe so.  "That is why I hate writing my thoughts because a lot of people think I am mean"--- Shelley.  How could anyone think you were mean?:)

Edited by Quentin
Clarification.

10 hours ago, Quentin said:

That's mostly true Shelley, but the implication in her quote here is pretty clear. That being that I have no common sense. 

I'd just like to say that when you started this thread, you were very frustrated.  "I'm getting very frustrated by all this candle stuff ... THREE DIFFERENT SOURCES all gave the exact same pouring temperature range. One of those was the manufacturer!  Candle Science, Candlewic, and IGI all said the pouring range was 175-185. I did that exactly and came back later only to find holes around the wicks again.  .... I've been told that the hole around the wick means I'm pouring too hot. Or is it too cold? It doesn't matter! Why do I say that? Someone just please explain one thing for me. If I'm pouring in the recommended range, then how can I be pouring EITHER too hot OR too cold? I'm sick of this."

Then, based on information you had gathered, you posted, "As far as pouring at the correct temp, I promise I was right in the range given by two different sellers and the manufacturer."

Yet, you were not in the right range.  No one thought you were an idiot.  ScentedPleasurez told you, "Perhaps you are not comprehending what you read because this is what you said in your original post. If you go to candlewic site and read it does not say that's the pour temp SO your holes are in fact coming from pouring way to hot.  ... @Kerven even pointed it out to you. This is a true 1 pour. I have worked with this wax for numerous years. You do not have to do all this extra. If you pour at the correct temp you will get an amazing candle every single

time."  So, I have to disagree with you when you say SP wasn't trying to help you.  At that point, you said, "OK. I'll go back and check again. If I'm wrong, I'll come back here and admit to it." ... and, you discovered that you were wrong.  "I was wrong about what Candlewic said. Yes @ScentedPleasurez I just saw the same thing you just clipped and posted from the Candlewic site. I said I would be back and report if I was wrong. Here I am. Looking back at my notes, it was Candlescience that listed the pour temp as 180F (+or- 5 degrees). I have the sheet I printed from the CS site here beside me. I also have the IGI sheet for 4627 Comfort Blend beside me on the desk. It gives the pouring temperature as 175-185F.  You're right that @Kerven did point that out to me and I truly apologize to him for not paying better attention to what he was trying to tell me. I now need to determine if Candlewic has the wrong information listed or whether the manufacturer and Candlescience have it wrong. We are very fortunate to have people on this forum with your experience to help clear up issues like this, and to help out beginners like me with medically diagnosed cognitive handicaps. I'll get out of the way now."

I do not believe that one person here thought any less of you for the confusion, especially since the information on the sites you visited didn't match up.  Yet, a long time user of this wax was certainly trying to tell you and even posted a screenshot from the supplier that was giving the useful information.  When you started to get distracted by trying to determine on your own which site was giving good information or bad information, SP told you, "Adjust your pour temp and try again. You are making things harder than they are. You are being given your answer and you now have to determine something else."  At this point, SP was being brutally honest and truly trying to get you ON TRACK.

You later posted, "According to the people who make the wax, I did pour at the "correct" temperature.  She/he "pleasured whatever" knows more than they do. But since the expert on that wax says he/she is not coming back, we will never know. This same person went out of his/her way to try and humiliate and embarrass me and accomplished it.  I was under the impression that asking questions was what this forum was all about. I didn't realize it was just a place to spread your feathers like a peacock. She/he never had any intention of trying to help me.  It was very mean and calculated. Thanks for the offer of your wall.  ;)"

I think SP knows this wax, might even be what could be considered an expert on it after using it for so many years.  Some information on the web is incorrect.  We often find other opinions from crafters here than what may be on suppliers' websites, etc.  When experienced crafters are offering their advice, they aren't doing it for any other reason than to be helpful.  We're candle makers, not teachers ... we're not trained on "the right way to say something" or how to help someone without making them feel like idiots because they didn't know ... you often have to pay for those types of mentors.  The ones we get here do it because they're willing to share some of their knowledge, so, if they should lose their patience or come off as being rude, overlook it, take what they offered and be happy. That's all I have to say, and I think SP is owed an apology.

The one thing I have learned about wax is nobody is an expert when it varies from lot to lot as much as any soy wax has since 2016. When you think you got game the game changes. Even cakes made with perfected box mixes turn out differently when made by different people. 

ambient conditions play a huge part in single pour waxes. All waxes really. 

Containers play a huge part. Sizes. Material. Thickness. 

And of course the actual lot number of that wax. This single factor killed me for a good year. It changed every single candle blend that contained even a smidgeon of soy. 

We have allllllll been as frustrated as the OP. Let’s get past this. We need to pull up and make some candles. 

• Like 2

Yes, it can be very frustrating, especially when information on supplier websites might steer you in a wrong direction.  That's why it's good to ask others who have more experience a few questions if you can, as their input may be invaluable.  We all have to deal with the variations, although some of us know a little more than others and all of us together know more than any one of us.  ☺️

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2018 at 4:55 PM, pughaus said:

Soo @Quentin  Did you try pouring some at the 145-150 range?  Did it work??

I finally got around to trying it. I promised I would report back. It was hard to discipline myself to wait for the temperature to drop, but I did it. I took good notes too. I was pouring only two jars as a wick comparison test. I poured the Comfort Blend at 148F and did it slowly. I came back every 15 minutes to check it out. The result was a success. Nice smooth tops. No holes around the wick. I heated the jars beforehand. No wet spots until the next day and that was only on the first one I poured. Fortunately, they are small and clustered together. A perfect spot to put my label.:lol: The conclusion is that I should pay more attention to what people tell me and I need to write those tips down instead of just reading and moving to the next response. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, @Kerven told me what to do. I should have made a note. Another little lesson I think I picked up here is that the first candle poured showed the wet spots and just a tiny little crack around the wick. So maybe 148 might be just a tad too high.