Holes Around The Wick Problem Again!

38 minutes ago, Quentin said:

At what temperature do you pour IGI 4627 Comfort Blend? That's the temperature I want to try. Do you use the 145-150 range? Thanks in advance.;)

I will not tell you my pour temp and shouldn't be asked, that's up to you to figure out on your own as I did. 

It's common sense if you are pouring I at a temp and u keep having issues you try a different temp. It's all a part of testing.

22 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

people can scoff all they want. Variables matter. You’re right to question @Quentin

The definition of scoff is 

speak to someone or about something in a scornfully derisive or mocking way.

"department officials scoffed at the allegations"

I would like to point out to you that this is text.  Your mood dictates how text is read. Sorry if you are in a bad or grumpy mood and refer to my text as being scornful. I'm simply commenting. 

You as an admin taking a jab at someone for commenting on a post is priceless though. 

I really do not have to be here it makes no difference to me. I was told how great this board is and invited to join. 

But I will not blow smoke up someone's Ass either as some do. I've worked with this wax for my containers for years. It is the only wax that I use for my containers,so yes I do know what I'm talking about. If you want to make a candle great, if you want to keep complaining about issues instead of taking advice then that's fine as well.

This is my last post

Good day to all.

(Side note) I am talking in my normal tone for anyone that is thinking differently.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

When I am in WV making candles, I have to be very careful of my pour temp and cooling process or I have major problems with holes.  However, if I am making the same exact candle when I am in coastal NC, I have virtually no problem with holes without taking any extra steps,.  I don't know exactly what factor is the problem in WV...temp, humidity, altitude

If someone told me I could pick one and only one of those different factors (WV vs NC) altitude would be my first choice.

• Like 1

I know how text can be taken the wrong way. It happens to me all the time elsewhere, especially when a friend perceives my texts as being rude or aggressive when they were anything but. That's one of the downsides to written word and can often lead to misunderstandings, which I sure we've all experienced at some point.

That said, would it be too much to suggest that this be chalked up as a misunderstanding or agree to disagree, not read too far into what was written, and get back to comparing candlemaking notes/experiences? IMO, it's not worth the trouble to offend or be offended, and I'd like to think that no one intended for it. There are more pressing matters to discuss... such as: where can I find palm stearin, palm butter, no-stir palm (stearin fraction), 100% palm shortening in 5-7lb sizes at -reasonable- prices? 🤔

(Yes, I hijacked the thread.)

Edit: About WV, I agree, probably altitude. Although, I can't say I've read anything about altitude's effects on wax but I imagine it's similar to water... air pressure.

Edited by Kerven
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

I will not tell you my pour temp and shouldn't be asked, that's up to you to figure out on your own as I did. 

It's common sense if you are pouring I at a temp and u keep having issues you try a different temp. It's all a part of testing.

Then I have no choice except to take it that you agree with the Candlewic numbers you presented. That's what I'll do.

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

As someone who makes candles in two different locations that differ in climate, I can personally attest to the fact that environmental factors can play a major role.  I don't use 4627, but I do use several different waxes, 6006 being the most problematic.  When I am in WV making candles, I have to be very careful of my pour temp and cooling process or I have major problems with holes.  However, if I am making the same exact candle when I am in coastal NC, I have virtually no problem with holes without taking any extra steps,.  I don't know exactly what factor is the problem in WV...temp, humidity, altitude, etc.  So, I can only conclude that the suggested pour temps vary by source depending on their specific testing results.  I take them with a grain if salt.  I find this forum to be way more useful due to the availability of so many varying experiences and everyone's willingness to share.

(As an aside, there are also differences in the way my candles burn depending on my location.)  

Exactly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerven said:

Edit: About WV, I agree, probably altitude. Although, I can't say I've read anything about altitude's effects on wax but I imagine it's similar to water... air pressure.

As I remember from somewhere, at a higher altitude water takes longer to reach it's boiling point. The air is thinner too. Not that any of the two have a thing to do with wax, it's just a very general statement that I'm making. This should not be construed to apply to IGI 4627!:lol: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

The definition of scoff is 

speak to someone or about something in a scornfully derisive or mocking way.

"department officials scoffed at the allegations"

I would like to point out to you that this is text.  Your mood dictates how text is read. Sorry if you are in a bad or grumpy mood and refer to my text as being scornful. I'm simply commenting. 

You as an admin taking a jab at someone for commenting on a post is priceless though. 

I really do not have to be here it makes no difference to me. I was told how great this board is and invited to join. 

But I will not blow smoke up someone's Ass either as some do. I've worked with this wax for my containers for years. It is the only wax that I use for my containers,so yes I do know what I'm talking about. If you want to make a candle great, if you want to keep complaining about issues instead of taking advice then that's fine as well.

This is my last post

Good day to all.

(Side note) I am talking in my normal tone for anyone that is thinking differently.

Well goodbye then 🤷‍♀️

Your attitude frankly sucks 

you claim to want to offer advise yet tell people they shouldn’t be asking you questions - this is a place of learning in a cordial manner 

we all help each other out here and learn so much - why would it be an issue for Quentin to ask you your pour temp range - if your experienced as you say you are then you should know that answer would not be trade secret as there are many variables to pour temp but kindly giving a range to start to help a fellow chandler is what this place is about and TT has done a fabulous job making this a serene community 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It's true that there are many variables as has been stated, so in that sense, we do all have to figure out what is best for us based on our wax and all the other things that have been mentioned.  It does seem common now and then for crafters to blame the material rather than the process and that can be a natural reaction when things don't go well -- sometimes it's the materials we're using, and sometimes it's our own process.  To get it right for our own situations, we have to test and sometimes we have to endure some mistakes, so it's not easy, but as I said before, it's fun when we get it right.  We can all try to help each other, but there are also many things we have to do on our own to figure out.  As far as relying on information from suppliers, it's always good to compare and this thread really illustrated how the information can vary from source to source.

All anyone here with experience can do is lead or guide or try to move others in a better direction.  I feel that ScentedPleasurez offered tips and Quentin was appreciative of the information, so it's really uncomfortable to see either one of them put in a position of feeling they did anything offensive -- one may be over thinking, the other may lose a bit of patience, but I like both of these members and wouldn't want to lose either of them over a struggle to communicate to better understand a particular wax. 

• Like 6

@ScentedPleasurez responded to @Quentin,  "I will not tell you my pour temp and shouldn't be asked, that's up to you to figure out on your own as I did."

Wow. . .  I've asked many, many questions on this forum and so glad no one responded to me like this.  Most often, we are frustrated AFTER testing and need to find out what others have done to get on the right track.

:thumbsup2:Thanks to suggestions from a number of you, I just poured five different batches of jar candles (464) and none of them have holes; all the tops are perfect!   I heated my jars in the oven, lowered my pour temp to 140, and put an oscillating heater a few feet away from the jars as they cooled.  That won't work for everyone, I realize, but here in Minnesota it did.

GoldieMN

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/1/2018 at 7:53 PM, ScentedPleasurez said:

Perhaps you are not comprehending what you read because this is what you said in your original post. If you go to candlewic site and read it does not say that's the pour temp SO your holes are in fact coming from pouring way to hot. 

@Kerven even pointed it out to you.

This is a true 1 pour. I have worked with this wax for numerous years. You do not have to do all this extra. If you pour at the correct temp you will get an amazing candle every single time. 

There you go, Quentin.  ScentedPleasurez knows it's a one-pour, so your problem must be temp pour.  I have a special bulls-eye painted here on my wall if you want to bang your head.  I sometimes think we chandlers are masochists.  I prefer to use the word "perfectionist".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

@ScentedPleasurez responded to @Quentin,  "I will not tell you my pour temp and shouldn't be asked, that's up to you to figure out on your own as I did."

Wow. . .  I've asked many, many questions on this forum and so glad no one responded to me like this.  Most often, we are frustrated AFTER testing and need to find out what others have done to get on the right track.

I agree, but not everyone always wants to share what they've worked hard to achieve.  Some people are more open about sharing certain things, while others might not be.  In any event, I think there's been a lot of sharing by this poster on many issues.  Now, I read a post that has now been removed in which Scented created with an alternate ID saying she was banned.  If this is true, I hope it will be reconsidered.  I tried to see by going to the profile, but it doesn't show a sign of any banning ... but, what I did notice is that ScentedPlesurez had a lot of "liked" content today.  It would be nice to see this issue smoothed over and if there has been a ban, I don't think that would be fair.

ScentedPleasurez.jpg.86fe14f5602c2dc255f948177853ddf5.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arch Rock said:

There you go, Quentin.  ScentedPleasurez knows it's a one-pour, so your problem must be temp pour.  I have a special bulls-eye painted here on my wall if you want to bang your head.  I sometimes think we chandlers are masochists.  I prefer to use the word "perfectionist".

According to the people who make the wax, I did pour at the "correct" temperature. She/he "pleasured whatever" knows more than they do. But since the expert on that wax says he/she is not coming back, we will never know. This same person went out of his/her way to try and humiliate and embarrass me and accomplished it. I was under the impression that asking questions was what this forum was all about. I didn't realize it was just a place to spread your feathers like a peacock. She/he never had any intention of trying to help me. It was very mean and calculated. Thanks for the offer of your wall;)  

2 hours ago, birdcharm said:

I agree, but not everyone always wants to share what they've worked hard to achieve.

Not sharing a temperature? Is that some big trade secret or proprietary information? Temperature information goes back and forth everyday on this forum. Most of the people here are more than happy to do that.

14 hours ago, Quentin said:

Not sharing a temperature? Is that some big trade secret or proprietary information? Temperature information goes back and forth everyday on this forum. Most of the people here are more than happy to do that.

Yes, temperature information is often shared.  Although, not exact temperatures were shared directly, information regarding the range was presented to you, with the advice to adjust your temperature and try again.  In reading the posts, when it was stated that "you are making things harder than they are" -- that was, imo, a sincere effort to get you on track -- maybe not the answer you were precisely looking for, but good advice all in all.  I don't think you should be feeling either humiliated or embarrassed.  There's an old saying about teaching, something about teaching how to fish rather than give the fish -- perhaps you were looking for a precise temperature, which, as others said, can vary due to all sorts of things -- there's nothing wrong with hoping for an easy answer, but even if someone were to give you one, you still have to do your own adjustments and testing.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Quentin said:

That's the one thing that makes this forum so user-friendly......most everyone is willing to share any info that can help the new comer or a new user of certain waxes............Of course there are those that do sell their candles and do not want to lose their edge on the market, but ya know,  if someone shares some pouring/temp info with me.....there is no way under God's green earth that I am a threat to their selling and/or profits.  Another forum that I frequent will not hesitate to throw a dagger toward your heart if they think you are asking for proprietary info...of course that is their right......but if one could go back in history I am sure there were some people that mentored THEM when they were in their learning curve.......hey, I am willing to share any knowledge I have concerning making candles, melts and B&B products, etc, etc........mainly because what little I have learned along my journey was given to me by others and since that guidance was granted to me by others,  I do feel it is my duty to pass it on to anyone that may ask..........or anyone that I can help....no matter how little that help really is.

I joined this forum way back around 2005 (aprox) and have to give the most heartfelt thanks to it's member for helping me along my way in creating anything from candles to body products.

• Like 3

Honestly, I'm right there with you @Quentin, I really like to have all the information I can get before I do and redo something.  Especially considering the expense for each go.  Not to mention I sincerely have a limited short term memory, so I might even search for or something or ask about it repeatedly.  

There's a polite way to decline a request. Anyway.  Keep on swimming...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, birdcharm said:

Yes, temperature information is often shared.  Although, not exact temperatures were shared directly, information regarding the range was presented to you, with the advice to adjust your temperature and try again.  In reading the posts, when it was stated that "you are making things harder than they are" -- that was, imo, a sincere effort to get you on track -- maybe not the answer you were precisely looking for, but good advice all in all.  I don't think you should be feeling either humiliated or embarrassed.  There's an old saying about teaching, something about teaching how to fish rather than give the fish -- perhaps you were looking for a precise temperature, which, as others said, can vary due to all sorts of things -- there's nothing wrong with hoping for an easy answer, but even if someone were to give you one, you still have to do your own adjustments and testing.

Even if anyone gave you and "exact" temperature it would not help one bit. It could never be achieved with ANY certainty.  Everyone uses different heating sources and different thermometers. None are the same as any other, even from the same manufacturer.  Everyone operates under different room temperatures and etc. I would never expect to get an exact temperature! I have different thermometers in the same location within inches of each other and none of them ever indicate the same thing. If I told you to heat something to exactly 133 degrees, how would you ever determine that it was the same as what I was getting? That's totally impossible! I would never expect anything but a range. That's ALL I would ever ask for and even then I couldn't be sure of that. I've put different thermometers of the same model, from the same manufacturer into the same boiling pot at the same time and gotten different readings from each. :rolleyes22:

6 hours ago, Jenni Wix said:

Anyway.  Keep on swimming...

Exactly. Thank you. I fully intend to keep swimming:). I get frustrated, but I don't give up. I may walk away from the problem for a little while, pout about it and feel sorry for myself for a few minutes but I always snap out of it and then go back and try again. I've said here before that I tend to over think things. That's true! It's my nature and I can't change that anymore than I can change the color of my eyes. I'd much rather be thought of as an over-thinker than an under-thinker.:lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pughaus said:

Soo @Quentin  Did you try pouring some at the 145-150 range?  Did it work??

No. Not yet. I've been pouring pillars the last couple of days.:whistling: But I will. I promise!  When I do, I'll report the results with pictures, diagrams, pie charts and notarized depositions.:lol: The whole ball of wax! Hey, that was a pun.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pam W said:

I joined this forum way back around 2005 (aprox) and have to give the most heartfelt thanks to it's member for helping me along my way in creating anything from candles to body products.

My feelings too.

10 hours ago, birdcharm said:

...and I'm not mad at you if it sounded that way.;)

On 11/2/2018 at 8:01 PM, Arch Rock said:

I still don't know the difference between a one-pour and a single-pour. :embarassed2: