Is 4625 a good wax for melts?

Well, I just made up a bunch of melts in 4625 as I thought so many used that till I started to see so many like 4627?........Dang!   I thought I was doing good.   4625 sure is an opaque pillar wax!   All these years I have never swayed from 464 or c3 and here I go just like the rest of you all experimenting.. Now I let the melts sit for 2 days..I know should be a week, I'm thinking.   But can anyone tell me if I should blend something to it or leave it?    I think I got a little baggie of 4630.

Trappeur

• Haha 1

4627 is the bomb for containers. 

I was reading about how some like to mix the 4625 in with the 4627 for melts. 

4794 was recommended on bc years ago for clams and such. 

I think mixing the 4630 with a harder type would give a great melt.

Next to 4627,4630 is my other fave.

To me 4630 is 4627 but in a not so messy form lol,they both have good h&c throw. 

I do mostly 60% 4625 to 40% 4630.  If its something I want to be a little creamier looking or needs to be softer, I just adjust the % to add more 4630.  If I were you, I would start at 50/50 and adjust from there depending on what you need.  

I just bought some IGI Paraflex 4625 for the first time I must be a little slow I started making candles in 1967, and now I am doing some research on what I need to make a good pillar candle.

I was checking on scent for the candle and it seems very expensive at 1oz per pound. Any one have a better price than $5.99 per oz. 

Thanks Dave.

• 4 months later...
On 10/22/2018 at 3:25 PM, Trappeur said:

Well, I just made up a bunch of melts in 4625 as I thought so many used that till I started to see so many like 4627?........Dang!   I thought I was doing good.   4625 sure is an opaque pillar wax!   All these years I have never swayed from 464 or c3 and here I go just like the rest of you all experimenting.. Now I let the melts sit for 2 days..I know should be a week, I'm thinking.   But can anyone tell me if I should blend something to it or leave it?    I think I got a little baggie of 4630.

Trappeur

Trapp,

How did the 4625 melts turn out?

Hey @Trappeur, like @Jcandleattic and maybe some others on here, I have been testing out IGI 4625 and IGI 4794 waxes and so far I like both of them. I have used the waxes separately and as a 50/50 blend and used dye and 6-10% FO. I have made both loose melts and clamshell melts. I'm still currently testing my melts and I need to organize my notes on performance and scent throw but overall I've been really pleased. I'm still trying to figure out exactly which wax or combination gives the strongest c&h scent throw. Making melts is so much fun.

• Like 1