4627 & WW

Are you using small or medium?   The recommended size is medium for my container,but since the wax doesn't have a high melt point I could probably use small. I'm waiting on my order to come in.

I'm also wondering how they will do halfway down the container because they are harder to clip

Edited by ScentedPleasurez

• 1 year later...

I just recently tried the wood wicks with this wax.  It throws scent so much better than a regular wick and solves my mushroom problem. The only problem I have had was on the first burn. It almost drown the wick. After that it was fine. Maybe I trimmed it too much, still testing.  Seems any wax that is a Bellatrix to wick works great with a wood wick, at least for me. I am not understanding some of the comments of the wood wicks being difficult to use. So far I haven't had a problem with them in 4627, coco 83 and lab & co virgin coconut. The wick guide provided by woodwick website so far has worked pretty good for me. Now on small jars like an 8oz straight side, they tend to get a little too hot.

• 3 months later...
On 10/27/2019 at 11:37 AM, CaptnKush said:

I just recently tried the wood wicks with this wax.  It throws scent so much better than a regular wick and solves my mushroom problem. The only problem I have had was on the first burn. It almost drown the wick. After that it was fine. Maybe I trimmed it too much, still testing.  Seems any wax that is a Bellatrix to wick works great with a wood wick, at least for me. I am not understanding some of the comments of the wood wicks being difficult to use. So far I haven't had a problem with them in 4627, coco 83 and lab & co virgin coconut. The wick guide provided by woodwick website so far has worked pretty good for me. Now on small jars like an 8oz straight side, they tend to get a little too hot.

hey there. I'm a newbie. been using 4627 in dream vessels nevae 2 small woodwicks and 8% juniper it burns beautifully   also the Libby 9oz square jar double wicked burns and throws well.  I love 4627 and woodwicks!!!!

I spent over a thousand hours trying to get wooden wicks to work in 4627 properly (not even kidding), was the biggest waste of time and money. I got the burn itself to be absolutely perfect top to bottom with no trimming using the thinnest .02 ones, but there was one huge problem to overcome that I could never get past....

Getting them to stay lit properly from the start. If they do not light properly from the first burn then the wick just burns down to the wax and drowns, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to fix it.

I'd say probably 30% of the time they failed for me. I tried everything, trimming the wick to specific lengths all the way from short to tall, boiling the wicks, pouring the wax onto them as I make them, cutting the wick at angles, different FO loads, adding soy all the way from 5% to 50%,  they just wouldn't light consistently at all. It's a damn shame too because the HT was the best I've ever had from a 8oz tin.

You can get the thicker ones to burn without this issue but if you don't trim them properly after every burn then they quickly burn dirty and the flames get rowdy. 

If anyone has achieved a perfect burn with wood in 4627 then I take my hat off to them because I could never do it.

Edited by ErronB

18 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

@ErronB did you try priming them with another wax?  I hold them to the bottom of the presto pot in hot wax until they stop sizzling.  I hate the inconsistent burns in the same packs of wicks. 

I did, but only briefly with 6006. I haven't tried priming with the Pro-Blend waxes from The Flaming Candle which for some reason the wooden wicks like, so now that you mention that, it's a great idea to revisit, great thinking!

And yes you're right, the inconsistent burning is a big problem but with the thinnest .02 ones I can feel just by bending them if there is a big thickness variance and throw them aside (just shows you how much time I've wasted feeling wooden sticks LOL) usually isn't too many in a big bag. The 'quiet' wicks which are made from a different wood seem to be more tolerable in that respect but they don't burn the same (even though Wooden Wick Co swear they do).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ErronB said:

I spent over a thousand hours trying to get wooden wicks to work in 4627 properly (not even kidding), was the biggest waste of time and money. I got the burn itself to be absolutely perfect top to bottom with no trimming using the thinnest .02 ones, but there was one huge problem to overcome that I could never get past....

Getting them to stay lit properly from the start. If they do not light properly from the first burn then the wick just burns down to the wax and drowns, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to fix it.

I'd say probably 30% of the time they failed for me. I tried everything, trimming the wick to specific lengths all the way from short to tall, boiling the wicks, pouring the wax onto them as I make them, cutting the wick at angles, different FO loads, adding soy all the way from 5% to 50%,  they just wouldn't light consistently at all. It's a damn shame too because the HT was the best I've ever had from a 8oz tin.

You can get the thicker ones to burn without this issue but if you don't trim them properly after every burn then they quickly burn dirty and the flames get rowdy. 

If anyone has achieved a perfect burn with wood in 4627 then I take my hat off to them because I could never do it.

Try this. Light the wood wick and blow it out when the flame burns the wick down and reaches the wax. Cut off the burnt parts of the wick and re light. It should be perfect after that. I don't know if there are instructions on this, its just what I discovered dealing with the same issue. Let us know if it works for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptnKush said:

Try this. Light the wood wick and blow it out when the flame burns the wick down and reaches the wax. Cut off the burnt parts of the wick and re light. It should be perfect after that. I don't know if there are instructions on this, its just what I discovered dealing with the same issue. Let us know if it works for you.

I have tried that before and you're right it can work that way, but I can't sell a candle that has to be started off like that. I'm gonna have to try TallTayl's idea of priming them again, I did try priming them in olive oil like I read some people do for soy candles and let's just say that was a bad idea in paraffin lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 2:39 PM, CaptnKush said:

They do throw well, but after all my testing the only wax I will use them on is the Coconut. They are just too dirty for me. By the time you are halfway through the jar, the wax looks like crap.  Good luck them, keep us posted.

I find in jars they make the wax look dirty but not so much in tins

On 2/10/2020 at 7:22 PM, ErronB said:

I'm not sure that its perfect but it sure is beautiful to me.

small ww1 aztec

5 drops color dye

juniper breeze, clean cotton, sso, peach 7.5-10%

nevea dream vessels

heat to 190 add fo 175 pour about 165

it reminded me of an aha moment candle I read about on here awhile back. 

14 hours ago, kandlekimi said:

I'm not sure that its perfect but it sure is beautiful to me.

small ww1 aztec

5 drops color dye

juniper breeze, clean cotton, sso, peach 7.5-10%

nevea dream vessels

heat to 190 add fo 175 pour about 165

it reminded me of an aha moment candle I read about on here awhile back. 

The small wood wick in that thickness does light without any problems, but it’s too thick to trim itself properly which was the goal of my experiment. My last batch of wicks I just got are ridiculously inconsistent I’ve totally quit using them unless it’s in a soy candle. They are a lot more forgiving in that type of wax.