Web Marketing - Websites

MilosCandles

My store is one Wix (I LOOOOOOOOOOVE WIX!) and yeah, I haven't officially closed my Etsy shop, I haven't anything on it either. I just can't abide the extra fee on shipping. It pisses me off. I tried Artfire a few number of years ago and it just didn't have, or my stuff wasn't right for that platform. There was one site I loved, Poppyswap but it closed a good time ago and I'm still sad about that. Sigh.  I'm thinking of going on FB Marketplace and selling, but at the same time I'm trying to spend less time on FB not more. lol. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, iansmommaya said:

My store is one Wix (I LOOOOOOOOOOVE WIX!) and yeah, I haven't officially closed my Etsy shop, I haven't anything on it either. I just can't abide the extra fee on shipping. It pisses me off. I tried Artfire a few number of years ago and it just didn't have, or my stuff wasn't right for that platform. There was one site I loved, Poppyswap but it closed a good time ago and I'm still sad about that. Sigh.  I'm thinking of going on FB Marketplace and selling, but at the same time I'm trying to spend less time on FB not more. lol. 

Wix and Shopify certainly seem popular and they allow people to create nice looking sites, I've not used either one of them but may in the future. I like Etsy but I agree, them charging the seller a fee on their shipping charges is nasty and ridiculous. Who thought of that one and that it would go over well?!?

There certainly are reasons why FB s#cks but unfortunately it's kinda like you have to just deal with them whether on a personal level or on a business level. Right now it's the best way I have to keep up with friends and family in other states or I would close my accounts. And I'm thinking once I get a candle business up and running that I will probably need to use FB or at least see if it gives me great results. Just from a visual perspective, I really like Pinterest and Instagram (darn it, another FB company). 

• Like 1

Every site has its pro's and cons.  Both as a host and for marketing.  Not easy decisions, and not a 1 size fits all.

I make a ton of sales on Etsy, yes their fees suck.  BUT I have my own website and an Amazon Handmade and Etsy out sells bot of them.  I do everything I can to drive sales directly to my site where I am just paying a credit card processing fee.

I have had my own website for just over a year, I am always working on content and SEO.  Every month I see my rank grow, and visits grow.  It is a slow process.  Facebook,  Instrgram, Pintrest.

• Like 2

Just a heads up for those of you who are frustrated that Etsy takes a cut of the shipping money.  If you are considering Amazon Handmade, they do the same thing.  They keep a percentage of not only your sales price, but also shipping money.  

Edited by Crafty1_AJ
punctuation error
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

Just a heads up for those of you who are frustrated that Etsy takes a cut of the shipping money.  If you are considering Amazon Handmade, they do the same thing.  They keep a percentage of not only your sales price, but also shipping money.  

Everyone does. Why? Because people would hide the cost of the product in shipping to avoid paying fees. 

I didnt “mind” when etsy started doing the same. The irritation was that they hiked the percentage to boot. They’re getting money transaction fees, listing fees and commission. It gets a little pricey. 

• Like 3

On 7/3/2019 at 11:28 AM, TallTayl said:

Everyone does. Why? Because people would hide the cost of the product in shipping to avoid paying fees. 

I didnt “mind” when etsy started doing the same. The irritation was that they hiked the percentage to boot. They’re getting money transaction fees, listing fees and commission. It gets a little pricey. 

And what erks me even more is when someone buys more than 1 of an item.  You pay a listing fee on each one.  REALLY?  You charge me for the listing fee for 3 months, who cares how many I selll in that 3 months.

Atleast with amazon is it s flat 15% and only when it sells.  No listing fees, no credit card fees, no selling fees.  Just 15% on every sale.  Yes it is high, but it does not seem like they are nickeling and dimeing you.

• Like 2

I agree when the item is purchased in multiples by the same person.  Etsy treats those like individual sales even if one person buys a quantity of 10, so an extra $2 for listing fees.  I guess it all adds up to please their investors. 

When autorelisting quantities, it is better than the old days when you would need to manually renew to sell more than 1 of anything. 

15% seems pretty high... as bad as etsys fees are, it’s still less than half of amazon.