Not listing the fragrance

Forrest

I was in a store and one of the lines of candles they offered did not name their candles. All the labels were the same, but the fragrance were different. I like this idea because the name isn’t giving you a preconceived notion of the scent. Also you have to smell them to know what they are. Clearly this would not work for internet sales, but if you are doing shows or selling in shops, and had candles with good CT, I think it might work.

Its just a gimmick to be different and in my mind not a very good one. I can see it now, customers asking all day long do I have such and such a scent, or what is this scent, and what is that one, and what is that one, and what is that one, ad nauseum. If not by the end of the day, by the end of a week or two you would, or I know I would, be relabeling with the scent names. I find people want to know beforehand what the scent is they are about to smell, and a lot of folks are looking for a specific scent or type of scent. Last thing you want to do is confuse your customers and end up with fewer or no sales.

There are also people with allergies to certain things like coconut, nuts, lavender, cinnamon, etc., and they simply don't want a candle with that scent or note in it. I would rather label it than end up with an angry or disappointed customer or heaven forbid a court summons.

Its an interesting gimmick for sure, but not one I would use or recommend.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Do they have them identified in someway? Like by a color? Or a number?

Some very successful candle lines use obscure names like authors, numbers, state locations, you name it. I think it’s brilliant.

for the naysayers, How is not listing what’s in it any different from what a lot of us do anyway? Like what does macabre smell like? It is a staple in my line with no descriptor. The name gets people interested. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

How would you reorder fragrances if you don't know what is left on the shelves?

I would think they had some sort of indicator  for each fragrance. I also am wondering if there is a name on the bottom with the warning label. 

Craft shows would annoy me but In a store I'd most likely sniff them all😂

Edited by ScentedPleasurez
  • Like 1

I may of my scents have a "Buffalo (NY)" theme to them.  So the name really means nothing, for example one of them is called "BuffaLove" (this word/name is very popular in Buffalo).  But at least people can ask for it, or know what it is called if they like it.

Some of my gift shops have "custom named" scents also.

Edited by MilosCandles
  • Like 2

Well everyone has their own preferences and the why's and why not reasons for listing the fabric name.

Me personally, I want to see the name on the candle and I even love a little detailed description underneath the name of what is in the actual scent (the other notes)...if you have enough room on the label.   When I had my shop as well as selling wholesale to shops now, I would watch how people looked at the candles on the shelves and I see more people looking at the scent names b/4 picking up to smell.   And me personally when shopping in the grocery stores where they have all name brand candles and any other shop, I personally don't ever buy any candles myself but I look at the names on the jars and will pickup to smell what I think I might like for myself.....Like I said, to each their own...

Trappeur

• Like 3

The only label was on the bottom. It had the company name and the warning information. I suspect it also had a number to identify the fragrance. I think a better way to achieve the same thing is to give candles names that do not relate to their scent, Volcano doesn’t smell like molten lava. This would probably only work if you had a limited number of scents.

12 hours ago, Forrest said:

I was in a store and one of the lines of candles they offered did not name their candles. All the labels were the same, but the fragrance were different. I like this idea because the name isn’t giving you a preconceived notion of the scent. Also you have to smell them to know what they are. Clearly this would not work for internet sales, but if you are doing shows or selling in shops, and had candles with good CT, I think it might work.

I don't know what they are thinking. You're saying they had a brand name on the label, but no fragrance names? Do I have that right? Were they all the same color too? :lol:

11 hours ago, bfroberts said:

If everyone is smelling every single thing, that's just more shelf worn things get. 

Yes. The product gradually falls apart. Eventually the day comes when the product is marked down to $0.00 and thrown in the dumpster. 

10 hours ago, MilosCandles said:

I may of my scents have a "Buffalo (NY)" theme to them.  So the name really means nothing, for example one of them is called "BuffaLove" (this word/name is very popular in Buffalo).  But at least people can ask for it, or know what it is called if they like it.

Some of my gift shops have "custom named" scents also.

Your plan will always work. Tried and true.

11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Some very successful candle lines use obscure names like authors, numbers, state locations, you name it. 

Nothing wrong with that idea. 

11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Like what does macabre smell like?

Assuming the customer has a rudimentary vocabulary that would work. I like it. 

9 hours ago, Forrest said:

The only label was on the bottom. It had the company name and the warning information. I suspect it also had a number to identify the fragrance. I think a better way to achieve the same thing is to give candles names that do not relate to their scent, Volcano doesn’t smell like molten lava. This would probably only work if you had a limited number of scents.

Walmart does that with their 50 cent votives. It's so small you need a microscope to read it.

12 hours ago, TallTayl said:

How is not listing what’s in it any different from what a lot of us do anyway?

No different at all. You're correct, but if I'm understanding this, he's describing a totally unnamed product except for the clarification he gave about the company name on the bottom label. I personally like obscure names with a little intrigue.

9 hours ago, Quentin said:

I don't know what they are thinking. You're saying they had a brand name on the label, but no fragrance names? Do I have that right? Were they all the same color too? :lol:

That is correct, and they were not colored. I think the key is they only had a small number of scents, no more than five and possibly only three. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Quentin said:

No different at all. You're correct, but if I'm understanding this, he's describing a totally unnamed product except for the clarification he gave about the company name on the bottom label. I personally like obscure names with a little intrigue.

Exactly. There's a big difference between an unnamed product and one with an obscure name. I personally love theme names and if they work for you go with it. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 9:07 AM, TallTayl said:

for the naysayers, How is not listing what’s in it any different from what a lot of us do anyway? Like what does macabre smell like? It is a staple in my line with no descriptor. The name gets people interested. 

Yes, but it's still named. Regardless if it's obscure. If someone bought from you, and came back and month later and said, I got a candle called Macabre, and I liked it do you have more - you would know exactly which candle they are talking about. 

If they came to you and said, I got a white candle from you a couple months ago (and let's say there are 8 different scented type of candles that are white) you would not immediately know which candle they are talking about. 

16 hours ago, Quentin said:

Exactly this. - I never name my products by their scent, as I mix, so I completely make up names. But they are named. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I had thought about jut doing a solid colors line. Blue, pink, green, etc. no names. Super easy. 

@Jcandleattic This thread went back and forth between no names at all to identify, to no fragrance notes identified. My reply was for the latter. 

Oh sorry, that wasn't clear or I wouldn't have responded as I did. 

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

Oh sorry, that wasn't clear or I wouldn't have responded as I did. 

Yeah, I’m still getting confused reading the string of replies.

nothing at all on the candle container, no number, no name, no color sure would be confusing.