Paraffin candles dangerous?

A friend recently posted on Facebook about the dangers of paraffin candles and how soy is safe. I was thinking I'd read where it was the lead in the wicks that made them unsafe and lead wicks have been banned but I'm not sure if that's correct or not. I know I've read something about this on here somewhere but can't find it. Any thoughts or research anyone has that suggests this is a wrong statement for her to make? I don't believe they're unsafe but don't have anything to base that on really.

Thanks!

I do not know why people think soy is so great. It's just as chemically treated as paraffin.

all kinds of info online soy versus paraffin.once someone sees something it's hard to get it out of their head even if its wrong.its the same as All these misleading political ads running on tv. Rarely will the ones that seen the ad will see the retraction.

• Like 5

https://www.coventrycreations.com/index.php?option=com_opencart&route=information/information&information_id=15

Just one of many articles about the subject. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/getting-the-lead-out/

The real issue beside lead wick is the actual fragrance used. We do not know exactly what is used in some oils but low quality lower cost oils tend to be more dangerous health wise than the actual wax used. 

I have stayed away from fo containing phthalates,but years from now I'm sure it will be something else lol. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

https://www.coventrycreations.com/index.php?option=com_opencart&route=information/information&information_id=15

Just one of many articles about the subject. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/getting-the-lead-out/

The real issue beside lead wick is the actual fragrance used. We do not know exactly what is used in some oils but low quality lower cost oils tend to be more dangerous health wise than the actual wax used. 

I have stayed away from fo containing phthalates,but years from now I'm sure it will be something else lol. 

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing that soy had additives in it so in reality it can't be anymore natural than paraffin!

• Like 1

Here's my 2 cents. LOL

IMO and after all the reading I have done over the last several years, the bad mouthing of paraffin wax used for candles, melts, etc. is bogus. It drives me nuts. And I'm referring to "Food Grade" paraffin which appears to be the type of wax used by the candle and B&B industry as well as the food and canning industries.

As for lead wicks, yes, they are dangerous but I highly doubt anyone manufactures them anymore (nobody would by them). Probably, the only lead wicks you may encounter would be in very old candles made before the lead ban or some old candles made in other countries that haven't banned lead wicks. I'm guessing.

And you just have to use common sense and good judgement when making products and be sure to use good quality supplies from reputable suppliers. Thank goodness for online reviews.

Here's some good information links and the sources seem to be creditable. 

http://candles.org/4-common-candle-myths-debunked/

http://candles.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/International-Study-Shows-All-Candle-Waxes-Burn-Alike.pdf

http://candles.org/research-studies/

• Like 3

I think some of the confusion with paraffin wax may have to do with studies from other countries or in other eras in which the paraffin was not as refined as, for instance, ours is in the U.S., making it safer to burn indoors.  I read an article once about some of the chemicals found in some waxes that were burned in other countries that created a lot of soot and were a breathing hazard due to what they emitted.  As for the paraffin waxes we use, I think they are fairly safe in moderation, although I wouldn't burn a tray of them in a small, tightly-sealed room day after day -- a few candles burning, however, where they may be a bit of airflow really doesn't seem to be what most would consider to be dangerous, imo.

• Like 2

As I understand it, WHAT you burn is not the issue. THAT you burn anything at all, is. Combustion (fire) creates particulate. Particulate is inhaled and this is bad. It doesn't matter if you inhale particulate from soy, paraffin, or fluffy virgin fairies, it's all stuff in your lungs that would be better to not be there. But you also need to take context into consideration. I, for example, heat my home with a wood furnace. The amount of smoke that belches into my house, the particulate, every time I open that door to throw more wood in is OFF THE SCALE! The carpet around the vents is BLACK from circulating particulate! Cooking is a massive source of airborne particulate. So is dusting! (ban all housework!). Stand near a running car and see what is being spewed into the air as particulate. The world is FULL of it and lots of it can't be avoided. God forbid a volcano should erupt somewhere.

And yet lighting a wee candle is worthy of this debate?  This debate is most often trotted out by people who have an agenda. They have something to gain by claiming that soy is more beneficial than paraffin. Yeah, maybe. But it's the same as saying that drinking unleaded gasoline is better then drinking regular gasoline. Maybe so. But still, it's a bad idea to drink gasoline at all, unleaded or otherwise, so why would anyone split hairs over this? It's missing the big picture and getting hung up on little details that allow you to side step critical thinking.

I read somewhere that burning beeswax creates negative (or was it positive?) ions in the air. I have not been able to find one credible source of scientific research to support that statement. If the peer reviewed data for that exists, I have not been able to find it despite searching.

In conclusion, light the candle and enjoy it because burning dinner is going to be far worse for your lungs!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

On 10/23/2018 at 2:25 AM, Ramr said:

Cooking is a massive source of airborne particulate. So is dusting! (ban all housework!). Stand near a running car and see what is being spewed into the air as particulate. The world is FULL of it and lots of it can't be avoided. God forbid a volcano should erupt somewhere.

Add to that list of dangers:  USING THE BATHROOM.  Because if you smell poop -- yup, that's particulate matter.  Nothing like a lungful of turd!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

While searching this site today I ran across an old thread on this very subject. In it someone referenced an EPA test so I googled EPA test on candles. The first study I found no problems burning paraffin candles under normal conditions. The second study looked at the various other studies dealing with candles and incense. A quick review of that study shows that burning candles with lead wicks is unhealthy, beyond that, unless you regularly burn a number of candles at the same time, paraffin candles pose no health risk. One European test burned 30 candles at once and did not exceed any EPA limits. I would caution that burning poorly made candles that produce a large amount of soot might be bad for you. Based on the study results Incense may pose a health risk.

• Like 1

Lol at this topic. I think it is all fear-mongering if you ask me and I detest this especially when used in this manner as a marketing strategy against paraffin. AND I DO NOT EVEN USE PARRAFIN!  I am a soy user and still think that BOTH or ALL types of waxes have certain safety risks if not used properly. In my experience parrafin does not soot any worse than any other wax if improper wicking is used but what do I know really eh?  

Edited by Clear Black
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

I honestly do feel sorry for you folks who do use paraffin. It must be tough selling a product that the general public is being told to fear by a select few so called "experts" 

Don't feel sorry for me lol feel sorry for the soy makers at shows that try to bash me for using paraffin. 

Some people get very nasty at shows that are over booked with candles,soap,and jewelry. Especially when they aren't getting sales.

I had one woman come to my table and actually started a huge scene because of her soy and my paraffin. I sit there watching her ranting at my booth and I laughed. I then proceeded on shutting her claims down. She made such an Ass of herself she packed up and left. 

While some consumers simply do not care there are some that do and will ask. 

I do not throw info down people's throat but if asked I will explain that soy is not better. I do not bash anyone for their type of wax but it's unbelievable how some act. 

One of my best customers now was an avid soy user and promoted it. Now she promotes me to everyone that she comes into contact with.  I feel my candles speak for themselves. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

Don't feel sorry for me lol feel sorry for the soy makers at shows that try to bash me for using paraffin. 

Some people get very nasty at shows that are over booked with candles,soap,and jewelry. Especially when they aren't getting sales.

I had one woman come to my table and actually started a huge scene because of her soy and my paraffin. I sit there watching her ranting at my booth and I laughed. I then proceeded on shutting her claims down. She made such an Ass of herself she packed up and left. 

While some consumers simply do not care there are some that do and will ask. 

I do not throw info down people's throat but if asked I will explain that soy is not better. I do not bash anyone for their type of wax but it's unbelievable how some act. 

One of my best customers now was an avid soy user and promoted it. Now she promotes me to everyone that she comes into contact with.  I feel my candles speak for themselves. 

I agree with you here I really do. I sell soy and soy only and on a few occasions have been approached by a few customers bashing on paraffin and wanting to purchase my candles simply because they were soy based. I very politely try to explain to them the benefits and negatives of BOTH waxes and that it comes down to preference really. Its hilarious to watch their expressions as I defend paraffin while selling them a soy candle lol  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

Soy is genetically modified as well as corn and several other big crops. We all know the current stand on g m o foods and how corporations ran to boast their items are g m o free.  

So, my day job is in the food industry. Here is something interesting I just encountered. We are a co-manufacturer for many Fortune 500 companies. One such company wanted to know the GMO status of a particular product. We received statements from all the ingredients' suppliers and told the customer that 4 ingredients are genetically modified. 2 major ingredients (as in, in the beginning of the ingredient statement, which is in order of predominance) and 2 minor ingredients. They then asked us to send it in to be tested. It tested negative because the proteins break down and get destroyed during the refining process of the ingredients and even further break down during our manufacturing process. I'll go ahead and let you guess how the customer markets this product. And while I find it to be unethical, what they're doing is not illegal, because it is technically free of Genetically Modified Materials. (Much like soy wax). 

1 hour ago, Clear Black said:

I agree with you here I really do. I sell soy and soy only and on a few occasions have been approached by a few customers bashing on paraffin and wanting to purchase my candles simply because they were soy based. I very politely try to explain to them the benefits and negatives of BOTH waxes and that it comes down to preference really. Its hilarious to watch their expressions as I defend paraffin while selling them a soy candle lol  

I think for the most part people just want a good scent. Some honestly do not care. I bet they had a puzzled look on their face lololol

1 hour ago, Lana said:

So, my day job is in the food industry. Here is something interesting I just encountered. We are a co-manufacturer for many Fortune 500 companies. One such company wanted to know the GMO status of a particular product. We received statements from all the ingredients' suppliers and told the customer that 4 ingredients are genetically modified. 2 major ingredients (as in, in the beginning of the ingredient statement, which is in order of predominance) and 2 minor ingredients. They then asked us to send it in to be tested. It tested negative because the proteins break down and get destroyed during the refining process of the ingredients and even further break down during our manufacturing process. I'll go ahead and let you guess how the customer markets this product. And while I find it to be unethical, what they're doing is not illegal, because it is technically free of Genetically Modified Materials. (Much like soy wax). 

You are talking about a company, once you tell a single person soy is g m o their opinions will change. I'm sure it's plenty of companies that do the same thing though.

Pretty sure when the crops went g m o is when the soy wax started running into slight issues and has gotten worse over the years.

People can debate until the cows come home about soy,paraffin or gmo vs non gmo,everyone will always have their opinions. 

On 10/27/2018 at 12:05 PM, Clear Black said:

Grab some popcorn and enjoy the watching:

This news story goes way beyond fear mongering and even point out that a zinc type wick is a huge no-no. Ugh

Where is this “organic” soy wax people keep talking about?!  I get asked all the time if my wax and oils are organic. 

And I wonder how many people have thrown away candles with zinc wicks thinking they are lead!

Well, I do not use soy wax to make my candles and I DO NOT use ZINC wicks......so does that let me off the hook??????

Besides candles, I have personal issues with soy.........mainly in the diatery area........my DH is a blood thinner user and soy products when injested tend to disrupt his blood issues........of course that has not a darn thing to do with candles...duh.  But that said, soy products are not the product that will save the world.........

If one likes what they get from a soy candle then cudos to them   ......   but lets not demonize those that do not buy into the soy...save the world issue.

Just make your candles out of whatever product you are comfortable with and restrain from critizing others for not buying into your line of thought.  If throwing stones at others for not buying into your opinion on soy makes you feel good then please continue .... it will fall in line with political issues of the day.............demonize the opposition and you will be exalted into heaven and/or public opinion......ok, I'll stop

On 10/29/2018 at 2:49 AM, Sebleo said:

Where is this “organic” soy wax people keep talking about?!  I get asked all the time if my wax and oils are organic. 

And I wonder how many people have thrown away candles with zinc wicks thinking they are lead!

It's crazy!! I've seen other makers market their soy candles as organic!! 🤨 There is no way in hell that any soy candle is organic. Even if the soy beans are grown organically, the hydrogenation process strips any certification. Not to mention fragrance oils... Definitely not organic. And, then the wick has to be organically produced too. 

Don't get me started on the "vegan" candle movement! 🙄😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2