How Do You Get Yellow Dye Off Your...?

It all started out so innocently.:whistling: I made a batch of candles using IGI 6028 and liquid yellow dye. One drop at a time till I got it to where it was acceptable. Then came time to make a bunch of votives. I switched over to 4794 Votive Blend. All the same fragrance, dye, etc. I noticed this wax just wasn't taking the color as well... Skip that. That's not the story. Anyway, when I finished the batch of votives. I had yellow dye on everything. My hands, my t-shirt, all my equipment, everywhere. Soap and water didn't get it. The more I washed, the more it spread. Alcohol didn't get it, but it looked like I at least had it under control for the time being. While looking at myself in the mirror, I noticed I really needed a shave. So out comes the shaving cream, razor, etc. For just a split second I thought, "this might not be a good idea".:huh: My body was moving faster than my mind at that point, and I smeared the shaving cream all over my face. Of course it carried the yellow dye with it. 

Now, I've got yellow dye all over my face, my razor, everything! If by chance, I had to go to the emergency room right now, they would probably diagnose me with liver problems and completely miss the gunshot wound in my leg. I'm all yellow! Hopefully, it will all wear off by tomorrow. Otherwise, I'm stuck here and can't go out in public tomorrow! :lol:

• Haha 4

I use those magic erasers for house cleaning and blue dawn. Hasn't failed me yet. 

I guess I would've been diagnosed with poor blood circulation or Smurf syndrome  because my hands were blue.knocked an entire bottle of blue dye over and omg what a mess. It took awhile but I got it all up and off.

Edited by ScentedPleasurez
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chronic_Sniffer said:

I don't know about clothing, but I've always had good luck with plain old margarine (the soft kind) for hands, tabletops, tools, etc. 

I try to catch it before drying completely, but the margarine always absorbed the dye so that you ended up with a colored paste

My experience was with BC dyes

Margarine. That's one I definitely haven't heard about until now. My condition seems to have cleared up a little during then night. Not thinking about it at the time, naturally, but I have a slightly abrasive face cleanser, sitting right next to the shaving cream! Sort of a milder version of GO-JO like mechanics use to clean there hands. Real gritty stuff. Don't know why that didn't occur to me at the time.:faint:

Goo gone was what a local supplier pulled out when my bottle of blue dye spilled in an order. Not face friendly, but told me her dye was in some oily solvent. 

In the shop i use dawn dish soap,  coconut oil soap, etc for most candle dyes. 

i spose it all all depends on the particular dye but sorry your face is all yella. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Not face friendly...:lol:

I guess not on the Goo Gone. I suppose I could try gasoline.*shudder* Nah. But I keep hearing more and more about Dawn for all sorts of uses, even for cleaning your roof! Yet gentle enough to clean an oil soaked baby duck. There must be something to the Dawn idea. I keep wondering what sets it apart from all the other dish detergents. 

Dawn detergent is primarily made of two surfactants that are excellent at defatting ( cutting greasy substances): SLS and SLeS. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate. You can buy those in powder form to make some really squeaky clean cleansers pretty inexpensively. 

Those two are shunned by personal care products, like shampoo, often because they work TOO well, stripping every drop of oil from our skin and hair. 

I find it funny how Dawn is the gold standard in one market while its ingredients are absolutely the worst in others. It d

sure does work, though! 

7 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

SLS and SLeS. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate. You can buy those in powder form to make some really squeaky clean cleansers pretty inexpensively. 

I'll bet you can buy them both on Amazon and eBay. What's the mixture? 50/50 maybe?

Hard to say.  SLS is first in the ingredient  list I have found, so possibly higher than SLeS. Though, SLS alone will strip a lot of grease. SLeS May be used to lower irritancy of the SLS, or possibly as a foam booster. You don’t need foam to cut grease, but people really like bubbles. 

The whole bottle of dawn contains probably >90% water. The way they thicken it makes it so easy to use. SLS in water will be watery thin. You’ll think there’s no way something as thin will work, but oh boy will it. A teaspoon of SLS powder in a sink full of dishes will clean a kitchen full. 

Whatever you do, do not breathe the powder. 

So blue Dawn will get liquid dye off of white vinyl floors? I have dye stains that I can't get rid of. I tried bleach, comet, shout, aqua net hair spray, magic eraser ( I hate those but people swear by it), orange cleaner, white vinegar and I had a maroon kitchen floor for 5 hours. I kept trying and got a lot off, most of it but then a few weeks ago I got green dye on it. I don't even work in my kitchen lol somehow it was on my shoes and I dragged it in. It was a nightmare. Still trying to get it off. 

Edited by ShelleyF
Spelling

As @Crafty1_AJ suggested, FO will work, however, it has to be skin safe. 

The best thing I have used, hands down to remove dye stains is mineral oil. It will clean dye off anything in .00000001 seconds flat!! 

I wear old ratty t-shirts, or clothes that I don't care if they get stained or not, so have no advice for that, because mineral oil will most likely clean the dye, but leave an oil stain on clothing. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

The best thing I have used, hands down to remove dye stains is mineral oil. It will clean dye off anything in .00000001 seconds flat!! 

I wear old ratty t-shirts, or clothes that I don't care if they get stained or not, so have no advice for that, because mineral oil will most likely clean the dye, but leave an oil stain on clothing. 

Thank you so much. I'm getting that. 

19 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I wear a black chef's apron when I make candles.  There are probably tons of stains on them, but since I can't see them, they don't bother me.  LOL

On 10/23/2018 at 3:00 PM, Jcandleattic said:

FO will work, however, it has to be skin safe. 

Sure don't want that. I get that stuff (FO) in my eyes frequently. Much more painful than a little soap or a speck of dirt! 

On 10/20/2018 at 8:18 AM, kandlekrazy said:

Any Dawn will work.  The blue seems to be the original and a tad better at cutting grease and stains.

I've found that Dawn is really a God send....that said, I have also found that using my CP rebatch soap also eliminates the stains on the hands from candle dyes....

Just an FYI dawn is really good to kill fleas as well. 🤪 but seriously I use dawn for all my equipment clean up. The only other thing that I would suggest especially for men is keeping a bar of lava soap around 🙂

My dye must be really potent. I can't get it off using Dawn and that's the only dish detergent I'll use because it really cuts the grease/oil off of my soaping equipment, but when making candles and getting dye on my hands, I still have stained hands after cleanup, even with using Dawn. That's when I pull out the mineral oil, and dab a little on a paper towel. It's like magic. :) 

On 10/23/2018 at 3:00 PM, Jcandleattic said:

You know, now that you mention it, I have an old bottle of Peak Dye Remover in my workshop.  I had forgotten all about it.  I recently tried it on my hands and it got the dye out easily.  I'm pretty sure it is MINERAL OIL.  Works great.