Palm Wax Fragrance Load

I had in my notes that palm wax could hold a 10% load. I have igi 2322. I made some wax tarts (wickless) at 7.5% I went to order more and the website I got it from says that it can hold a lot. Vague. So, I looked it up, and now I see palm wax has a 3% fo load. That seems so small when Ive always used double that and see that a lot of people use 6%? Can anyone confirm the fo load of 2322 palm? I havent noticed it seeping out or anything.

I haven’t worked much with glass glow but I use the feather palm for tarts. I have experimented for my own musings with fragrance load and have found the feather wax to hold up to 12% with most oils and up to 15% with many. 

Now, this is melts not candles. 

And, not suggesting you need to or would want to use that much fragrance oil. I just like to explore my wax parameters for curiosity sake. 

The feather palm does hold more fragrance oil than the discontinued starburst pillar palm. And I can’t make fair comparisons to the glass glow because it is a container wax.  

But, I would test the parameters if I were you because I’m sure it could hold more in tarts than advertised. Just make sure you thoroughly test to make sure the end result is worth the added cost of adding more oil. And to ensure the scent isn’t negatively compromised by adding more oil. Sometimes more oil is not better, but sometimes it is!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sebleo said:

I had bought these batches back in Febuarary, I just don't make palm melts often. I made both shapes and cups with glass glow, starburst, and feather before, using between 5 - 7 % fragrance. This gives it a good cold throw too. I go a little higher for my normal paraffin-soy blend (as high as 10%) but I know for a fact it holds up to 13% and I add a bit of vybar too. I can't imagine 3% would produce much of a smell in any wax blend whether it was palm or paraffin-soy. I guess that's why I was so confused by the 3%.

I've used as little as 3% for my glass glow palm container candles and got a great scent throw for some FOs. But the majority of my candles I use a straight 6% across the board with just one or two exceptions. 6% gives me a very strong throw that my customers love.

For my melts I use the same palm wax, either glass glow or Candlewic's crystal container palm and get an outstanding throw using the same 6%. I do watch the amounts of FO I use as I am running a business and can't afford to waste wax or fragrance oil so I stick to what works for me.

If you can use up to 10-12% FO load in your palm wax and like it then I don't see why you can't continue doing so.  Its your decision to make so go with what works for you. But if you are doing this for a business and not personal use you should consider the costs of using extra oil that is not necessary.

• Like 1