Mrs Meyers Limited Edition Apple Cider

TallTayl

Why I bought it:

a forum member asked if anyone had, lol. I’d never heard of it, so when I was at Target I picked it up.

its a soy based wax with cottonseed oil. 

Cute little juice glass jar.

4.9 oz, they state 25 hour burn time. 

Purchased at target for about $7 and change not on sale. 

I like and dislike the labels. The paper band has really small font, so it takes a while to find anything, like the scent. The labels are pretty simple, and won’t cover the flame once the wax is consumed below the wrap. 

C2A6845F-FC10-4691-A126-642C035D9B61.jpeg

First impression: the wick is off center. 

ED6635CB-F759-4ED9-9530-2F793318DDF5.jpeg

Smells nice enough. Not knock you over strong, but pleasant. 

First burn:

77C46D06-ED34-44BD-BD3D-A2F4133897A7.jpeg

Just lit. 

8D832B22-32F2-4AF4-BEF0-5292B655B6C9.jpeg

Pretty small flame that weakened over the three hours I burned it. Clean flame, no noticeable soot puffs as it got going. 

FED05489-29D3-4797-8998-CD452CB28796.jpeg

E8313EF7-F0B0-49C7-BBD7-27D56CDB7C29.jpeg

No shortage of carbon deposit. The mushrooming shrank the flames considerably. 

After the three hour burn the melt pool pool was steady at about 1/2”. Could net smell any HT in my dining room. 

58D6126D-FA3B-4E45-9A6F-C469E5A2352C.jpeg

• Like 2

Depends on your wax, container, etc. the candle needs to burn within a range of safety measures first and foremost. No flares. Container cool enough to not explode or cause burns, etc. 

if a mp is too deep the wick can more easily tip, slump or otherwise not stay centered. I lost square braid wicks in soy several times before I realized they were collapsing in on themselves. Some wicks tipped so close to glass they could have easily cracked.

i prefer smallish flames as opposed to some wicks, like RRD that produce a super tall flame. In general, the flame should stay proportional to the size of candle, IMO. Ditto the melt pool. It needs to look “right”.

My current favorite wax blend in testing produces hardly any melt pool yet throws exceptionally well in early scent tests. One success does not mean it will work well for everything, but it’s a good start. The goal i shoot for is a candle that scents a space, burns CLEAN, and burns long enough to provide a sense of value. 

• Like 2

You got that right about RRDs.  I was hoping they would rescue me from CDs but I'm not getting good results with a paraffin blend.  As much carrying on as it does (RRD 37), it takes forever to stabilize its combustion rate and start a melt pool.  When critiquing retail candles, (and in making your own) how tolerant is everyone with the flickering and smoking that occurs during the first lighting?  Two or three minutes with my own product is too long however, if I blow it out, let it cool, trim and relight, it's much improved.  I don't think I should expect my customers to have to do this though.