Retail Candle Reviews

TallTayl

6 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Well, IMO it should have cleaned up earlier. That’s seems like a lot of hang up. 

Turns out that was pretty much the final burn.  I lit them this morning and they burned for about 5 minutes later.  There was still quite a bit of wax on the bottom so I popped out the wick pin and wow, it was twice as long as the wick pins I see on pre-wicked wicks.  Not sure how they get a full burn on the bottom with a wick pin that tall.  Regardless, I can't complain about their customer service.  I contacted them this morning through their Facebook page and they were very apologetic and said they would send replacement candles.  I'll update this post when I see how the new candles burn.

• 4 weeks later...

I had this pillar candle shipped all the way from Latvia!  I grabbed it during a free freight deal around Christmas.  It arrived in about 1 week in perfect condition and was packaged in a nice, well- branded kraft inner box in keeping with their eco natural vibe.  I almost felt guilty getting free freight from Latvia to CA but they shipped it and quickly! 

The scent is Heather.  Retail site link: https://www.themunio.com/products/heather-candle

What moved you to buy this candle?  I've been following them on instagram for a while- stumbled on the line while browsing a store in London. I'm intrigued by the all soy pillar and their subtle use of embedded botanicals.  I've seen similar candles but not in soy-  these just stood out to me as particularly well done.

I'd like to someday be able to make such a perfect little botanical/ pillar so I justified this purchase as.. "for educational purposes"  ;)  

what was the retail price? about 26 USD.  Worth it. This is a little masterpiece IMO.   (also, I have no idea how they make these ) The cold throw alone makes me happy-  so much so that I've been reluctant to light it.

Wax type? Soy, per the maker
what do you love about it?  I think it's beautiful- simple and classic. And it smells divine- a warm, not too sweet floral- it's like no floral I've ever smelled before. It's totally unfamiliar to me and I really like it.

first impressions of burn?  just lit it.  So far so good at 15 minutes in. LOL  Will update later.  I'm super curious to see how it tunnels/ the outer shell translucence , etc...

overall thought?  Obv. I liked it enough visually to buy a pillar candle from overseas.  So kudos to Munio for their visual branding and marketing.
Hopeful the burn won't disappoint b/c I'd kind of like to buy some of her other fragrances. lol  Maybe if I like it enough I can justify a trip to Latvia.."for further research" ?   Will update on the burn as I get through the candle.

IMG_3509.jpg

Edited by pughaus
  • Like 3

On 2/16/2020 at 9:00 PM, pughaus said:

I'm intrigued by the all soy pillar and their subtle use of embedded botanicals.  I've seen similar candles but not in soy-  these just stood out to me as particularly well done.

I'd like to someday be able to make such a perfect little botanical/ pillar so I justified this purchase as.. "for educational purposes"  ;)  

what was the retail price? about 26 USD.  Worth it. This is a little masterpiece IMO.   (also, I have no idea how they make these ) The cold throw alone makes me happy-  so much so that I've been reluctant to light it.

I agree with you, their candles are very pretty, look very high quality and didn't go overboard with the dried stuff. Their site, packaging, photos and branding all look great too. Well done Munio candles, well done. I know you'll be a good judge of how they perform, hope they don't disappoint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laura C said:

I know you'll be a good judge of how they perform, hope they don't disappoint.

Enjoying the hot throw and overall look but soy's gonna soy and some cracks are starting to pop up - along the edges and in the center after cooling.  So far not impacting the burn but I'll be keeping a close eye on it ;) 

1 hour ago, pughaus said:

Enjoying the hot throw and overall look but soy's gonna soy and some cracks are starting to pop up - along the edges and in the center after cooling.  So far not impacting the burn but I'll be keeping a close eye on it ;) 

I don't blame you cause as you mentioned it is a soy pillar candle. I don't see how a pillar made with only soy can last very long without turning to mush and collapsing. Hmmm... Oh, I noticed you were burning it in a deep bowl, LOL. I've never made pillar or votive candles so I don't know. It will be interesting to hear what you say about it in the future.

Edited by Laura C

20 minutes ago, Laura C said:

I don't blame you cause as you mentioned it is a soy pillar candle. I don't see how a pillar made with only soy can last very long without turning to mush and collapsing. Hmmm... Oh, I noticed you were burning it in a deep bowl, LOL. I've never made pillar or votive candles so I don't know. It will be interesting to hear what you say about it in the future.

It's quite hard and wicked so there's abt 3/4" + shell but I'm concerned the cracks may increase and cause seepage out and down the side.  So far it's maintaining its structure but we'll see...

I've never made a pillar but it wouldn't occur to me to even try it with soy.  That said,  I'm about to embark on a beeswax pillar adventure. Wish me luck ;)

Edited by pughaus
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, pughaus said:

I've never made a pillar but it wouldn't occur to me to even try it with soy.  That said,  I'm about to embark on a beeswax pillar adventure. Wish me luck ;)

Awesome, that should be fun. You will have to post pics when you make some. I really like beeswax pillars and votives, I have some really nice ones that a friend of mine makes and sells in Canada. When I do venture into free standing candles I want to do beeswax.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...