CD vs HTP wicks question

Is there a way , just by looking at a wick, to tell if its a cd or htp wick? Also, what are the main differences in your experiences between the two? Im trying to learn as much as I can about these wicks. Also I have a bag of wicks that I know are either CD or HTP but I cant remember wich ones they are.  I was hoping to be able to identify them by looking at them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I thought HTP-CD equivalence chart was just what I needed, but I dug a little further and it seems it is only applicable to paraffin wax, the story of my candle life. I dug deeper and found a chart that very different results for soy wax, and neither chart would work for 6006. Still there may be an HTP that will fill the gap between the 51 zinc and the CD10. If so that would be a big help for me. Not that long ago when y'all talked about wicking up or wicking down I thought all I would need is the next size of the same type of wick. But CD6 and CD8 might as well be the same wick and while the 51 zinc is a step up from CD8 there is still too big a gap between it and CD10.

Csn and csn are in-between options. 

The numbering is is the same between csn,cdn and cd. The chemical treatment of the unprimed material. is different. I find the same number csn to cd results in about a half size smaller in the csn. So a csn 10 is like a cd9-9.5-ish 

35 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Csn and csn are in-between options. 

The numbering is is the same between csn,cdn and cd. The chemical treatment of the unprimed material. is different. I find the same number csn to cd results in about a half size smaller in the csn. So a csn 10 is like a cd9-9.5-ish 

So to find the HTP equivalent to a CD for 6006 I would take the HTP number for that size CDN in soy and for the next larger size, add them together, divide by 2, and multiply it by 0.3. Next I should take the HTP equivalent from the paraffin chart and multiply it by 0.7. Lastly I would add my two numbers together and that would approximate the HTP equivalent in 6006. The next step would be to take that HTP wick, along with the next size up and down and do a test alongside the CD wick to get some meaningful results.  I love candle making.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Ha, simpler would be to just try a csn 10 or cdn 10 if the cd10 is a scoche too big 

That would mean ordering from a new supplier and adding a new line to my massive wick collection.I think a better way would be to do a test to try and fit the HTP wicks into my CD/zinc progression. But, once I do that test I might run equation  just to see if it works,

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Forrest said:

That would mean ordering from a new supplier and adding a new line to my massive wick collection.I think a better way would be to do a test to try and fit the HTP wicks into my CD/zinc progression. But, once I do that test I might run equation  just to see if it works,

Just go to the classifieds and title ISO CDN 10 or whatever one and many of these nice people will just charge you a small amount for enough to test!  If I had those I would do it.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Thanks 1

Or, some nice folks will drop some in the mail with no expectations. 

I have CDN 10, 12 and14. And CSN 16 possibly others I would be happy to send so you can put any questions to rest.

otherwise, @Forrest contact precision wicking for suggestions. You tell them your wax, container, etc and their lab replies back with their top 3 or so recommendations. Let them know the problems encountered and they are happy to assist. 

32 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

otherwise, @Forrest contact precision wicking for suggestions. You tell them your wax, container, etc and their lab replies back with their top 3 or so recommendations. Let them know the problems encountered and they are happy to assist. 

Perhaps I should ask them about wicking an 11oz tureen with 6006, they could send me heir top 3 recommendations for a therapist in my area.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...