Anyone tried Meyers?

I think when I go to Target again I'll pick one up (I just don't frequent that store). Just wondering if anyone has tried the Mrs. Meyers candles.  Not sure how they can sell these 8 oz recycled glass jars with soy wax & EO's for under $8 but they may just kill off some of our candle makers market sales here.  Question is, do they burn well and actually have a hot throw?

Wrote this earlier, but it did not post...

i will see if they have any out this way later today when I head over to that town. 

If these are their offerings there’s little chance they are essential oils only, or even essential oil at all, especially at that price retail. Their own site makes no essential oil claims 🤔

7F4E4E2D-DB2F-4BC6-BBE3-02A59F2C5F10.png

Walmart uses the key words essential oils though. . . Interesting. 

2FF6A2AE-0B3E-4536-92B8-15A0DC133699.png

Kk, I would not worry about these taking over the world.  They’re actually under 5 oz, in a jar about the size of a small juice glass. I smelled them all, and not a one smells of any true essential oil, so as their own page markets, no claims to be that.

Off center wicks

39127BA0-F8BE-49E3-891E-5762014D345D.jpeg

hey y’all, never complain about wet spots again, m’kay? 

A7BEB5D8-D0C2-4388-BABA-48458F1A2866.jpeg

lit and the flame looked ok.

73FAB547-0477-4177-8434-D44BFDE15215.jpeg

wothin 10 minutes it really fizzled out

80DD5731-319C-4349-86E1-89526A597A44.jpeg

wondering if it will even stay lit. Looking at it as I type the flame has since shrunk by half in size. 

952B999C-2AFF-4ECB-AB27-6B83F33780FE.jpeg

• Sad 1

First burn. Three hours. No detectable not throw. This one is Apple something.  Lots of carbon.  No soot that I could see. That Mp was hidden on the outside of the glass by the wrap around label. Looks to be about 1/4-1/2” deep and pretty flat under the clear wax. 

E24F6171-3420-4DE2-837E-675E27CFED33.jpeg2DB20671-60A6-4C85-B6CE-5D69B09432B4.jpeg

20 hours ago, TallTayl said:

952B999C-2AFF-4ECB-AB27-6B83F33780FE.jpeg

Well at least it does actually appear to have soy wax in it with the rough top after cooling. I hate to see candles with wicks way off center. It's like really? You couldn't do better than that?

Edited by Laura C

On 10/14/2018 at 10:34 AM, kandlekrazy said:

soy wax & EO's for under $8 but they may just kill off some of our candle makers market sales here.  Question is, do they burn well and actually have a hot throw?

Soy wax is cheaper than my wax and not all essential oils are the same. I haven't tried them,but 2 of my customers have. 1 didn't like them and the other said that it was okay,but didn't fill the room with fragrance. Idk which scent either of them had 

• Like 1

Ha!  Thanks @TallTaylThat's great to know.  I feel bad for all of us hard working little people when I see these things out there.  The average consumer does not know any better.  I was able to read one of their labels online and it said essential oils and soy wax.  So many I get have off centered wicks in them and burn way too hot and I'm talking expensive candles not the cheap ones.

• Like 2

I bought several different candles along with the Meyers on Sunday.whats a little cash for science? 

They all, so far, make me feel so much more confident about my own lately. Even my worst are better than the best I have purchased, so yay us! 

Would there be any benefit to starting a sub forum of retail candle reviews?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I bought several different candles along with the Meyers on Sunday.whats a little cash for science? 

They all, so far, make me feel so much more confident about my own lately. Even my worst are better than the best I have purchased, so yay us! 

I know what you mean @TallTayl, I've experienced the same thing when testing out other candles. Plus, I have considered buying private label candles instead of making my own. I purchased sample candles from several suppliers and was generally disappointed with all of them for one reason or another. I believe I would have more confidence putting my name on my own candles rather than private label ones. 

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Would there be any benefit to starting a sub forum of retail candle reviews?

YES. Great idea!