Label advice and feedback

Paintguru

22 hours ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

See what had happened was... the original poster asked for opinions on their label. I said what I would change if it were mine.

You then came along and quoted what I said saying how it should be reading and I could hear it from you or TT with all your emojis. 

If you had a suggestion on the label it was no need to quote what I said and then tell me that i could hear it from you or TT, (because you are quoting me that means you are telling me and I'm not the one asking for label advice)

It clearly makes more sense if they have something labeled incorrectly that it should be quoted to that particular person,after all you are trying to make them aware,I believe..... 

Quite frankly I'm done on the matter,and dont really care to go back and forth on the subject.. 

Then it appears I quoted you when I thought I was quoting someone else. Basically I misquoted you. Sorry. It wasn't intentional.:embarassed2: :) My fault.

On 10/20/2018 at 3:18 PM, Quentin said:

Those are actually very good. So good in fact, that it leads me to what I think of when I think in terms of a product (or the display of same) "telling a story".  When I first heard the term "story" used in retail back in 1981, I had no idea what they meant by that term. Huh? My understanding of the concept doesn't mean that you literally have a written story for each product. It doesn't mean that you have ANYTHING in written form at all. A product line story is about the impression, emotion, general feeling or call-to-action that your overall presentation makes on a buyer. The buyer probably doesn't even realize he or she is being told a "story". The particular product or industry makes no difference. It could be anything from manure fertilizer to diamonds.  Let's step away from candles for a moment and I'll give an example that at least helps me understand the concept better. The word "story" in our context is a little nebulous, but here goes.

When you unfortunately have to visit a Big Box store, you are immediately confronted with stories. The list of examples is endless. We'll just use one.:)  It's Christmas shopping time and as we pass through the front door we are confronted by a huge pile of tool sets topped by a big, bright sign. "260 Piece Set. Only 49.99!"  The impression this immediately creates is "VALUE".  After all, if they have that many and at that price, it must be a good deal. Maybe it is. Maybe not. Let's walk down the strip to the upscale department store. We'll call it Blacey's. It is almost impossible to miss the cosmetic department in these places. The presentation here will most likely be just the opposite of what we saw at Orange Box Store.  The story here is a single bottle of $250.00 cologne on a beautifully draped table (and maybe a long-legged model in a short, black dress:whistling:) but the result is the same as the story that Orange Box just told us. It creates emotion, just like the examples you, @ShelleyF just presented. To wrap it up, you created the emotion of memories. Just condense it by finding or creating fragrances, matching emotional colors and packaging, and then present it in a complimentary manner or display. Whether online, craft shows, festivals or at the farmer's market, the venue really makes no difference. Fortunately, most of our work is already done for us because that's what scents and fragrances do. They bring back memories. Some happy, some sad and some bittersweet. All we really have to do is to get them to take a whiff or sniff. That plus your overall presentation tells your "story".  

Very beautifully said and very impressive Quentin.........

You should be a story teller!

Trappeur:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2018 at 7:06 AM, Paintguru said:

So does anyone have an example of a descriptive "story" they use?  I'm trying to imagine an example.  I do like the idea, as it gives the candle a little life of its own.

Hey everyone — I’ve been following along on posts for a while. I guess, now, I’m feeling more comfortable to contribute. Anyway, I use stories to describe all of my scents. I find that the stories don’t necessarily sell more candles, but it creates an image and allows my customers to connect with the products on a different level. 🤷‍♂️

So here’s one describing my Lavender Patchouli scent: “It’s been a long day at work—then off to the gym and a needed shower afterwards. Finally home, you head straight for bed, tumbler of vermouth in hand. The patchouli from your shampoo mixes with the smell of bitter herbs from your glass, while the window open to the night air lets in the quiet, soothing rush of distant traffic along with an equally faint musk. You can practically feel yourself unwinding.”

And, Campfire: “Laughter matches the crackling of the fire in bursts of clove and saffron; you take a step back to rummage for more fuel and in the process, the spice mellows into amber and cedar. You stretch into the dark to drag a larger log closer through freshly-fallen autumn leaves, adding the scent of patchouli to the air. It falls onto the flames with a satisfying thunk and the bark sizzles and smokes. Time for ghost stories.”

The stories are only on the website. I’ve thought about printing them on the labels, too, but I’m a fan of clean labels... for now!

Cheers,

Stanford

• Like 3

8 hours ago, StanfordP said:

Hey everyone — I’ve been following along on posts for a while. I guess, now, I’m feeling more comfortable to contribute. Anyway, I use stories to describe all of my scents. I find that the stories don’t necessarily sell more candles, but it creates an image and allows my customers to connect with the products on a different level. 🤷‍♂️

Those are really good Stanford.  I'm thinking of stories like those on the website, but maybe on the label, just a short, 3-4 word expression about the scent.  For example "Toasted Marshmallows:  Gooey Campfire Goodness", or something like that.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paintguru said:

Those are really good Stanford.  I'm thinking of stories like those on the website, but maybe on the label, just a short, 3-4 word expression about the scent.  For example "Toasted Marshmallows:  Gooey Campfire Goodness", or something like that.  

I love that abbreviated version!! That’s a great idea. Keep me posted :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, Paintguru said:

Well I finally potted up a candle to give away and figured I would take a picture of it and post it.  Overall, I'm happy with it.  I do feel like the front is a bit busy.

unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

Not too busy at all. Is there any contact information anywhere on the jar? That's all I see missing that I think would be wise.

23 hours ago, Paintguru said:

I have my city.  That was all that I was planning to put on it.  

My comment was meant to imply that someone will most certainly want to reorder. A phone number, email, website address or just anything really so they can get in touch with you to send you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. :icon_highfive:

On 10/15/2018 at 9:47 AM, MilosCandles said:

I would NOT put the weight rather maybe burn time.  I got away from weight right away, and just went with Small Medium and Large, and tell burn times.

You MUST show the weight to be legal by labeling laws.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, geodon99 said:

@paintguru  Many lines print the nt weight on the bottom warning label as well as their city, state.. website, etc.  Especially those using an unlabeled specialty container.  Some put the weight on the dust cover, others on the lid... . just some options for you.

Edited by pughaus
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, pughaus said:

@paintguru  Many lines print the nt weight on the bottom warning label as well as their city, state.. website, etc.  Especially those using an unlabeled specialty container.  Some put the weight on the dust cover, others on the lid... . just some options for you.

I don't mind this look, but I do wonder if I should include something with a website once that is up and running.  I must say most of the ones I see at craft fairs don't have that info on the label, mostly they just include business cards with the info on them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geodon99 said:

Correct @geodon99. I put the weight on mine to the letter of the law, but not because the law says I have to do it. I'm a bit of a rebel. I just think it adds that finishing professional touch and since it happens to be the law, it's one of those laws I CHOOSE to obey because it also works to my selfish benefit. I was wearing seat belts back when seat belts were really "uncool", long before there were laws requiring me to wear them. I've always worn them because I don't want to be impaled on the steering wheel.  It's doubtful to me that the Federal Trade Commission sends agents to weekend craft shows to check labels. But that's just me. I don't care how anyone else does it, but it would seem advisable. 

41 minutes ago, Paintguru said:

I do wonder if I should include something with a website once that is up and running

I think you are being wise to consider that, but I wouldn't wait till I had a website. Never leave the customer without some way to find you again. A container candle stays around the house longer than a business card usually does. When your customer finishes using your product and wants to experience it again, your "business card" is right there on the jar. They won't be saying to themselves, "Gee, I wish I had kept that business card". :smile:  I don't mean to imply that I'm down on business cards. I think getting them is the first thing anyone should do when they go into any type of venture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really like you candle/labels.  Even if you don't have a website put your email or phone # so they know where to get another one.   Many times they lose the business card but the information is not lost it is on the candle or product itself.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Your labels are beautiful Paintguru, they truly are!   Well done.

I too think somewhere on one of your labels or even the caution label you need your website or  even just your email address.   I know it's going to be a little PIA to rework one of the labels, but you can do it!   I know you can......:thumbsup:

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I can fit it in somewhere.  Thanks for all the feedback.  Do most people print their own warning labels?  May be worth moving the weight to that and swapping the website in on the main label.  Maybe I’ll go looking on Etsy to see what other folks do.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shari said:

I really like you candle/labels.  Even if you don't have a website put your email or phone # so they know where to get another one.   Many times they lose the business card but the information is not lost it is on the candle or product itself.  

If they don't lose your business card, they might find it two years later at the back of the junk drawer in the kitchen. Every house in the United States has a drawer like that. I'll bet even the White House has a junk drawer. George Washington's dentures might be there. No. The White House wasn't built yet when he was president. 

• Haha 1