Label advice and feedback

Paintguru

On 10/12/2018 at 8:44 PM, Paintguru said:

Okay I'll put myself out there and hopefully get some good feedback.  Here is what I have for my labels for my candles.  I plan to put the round one on all the image.png.b7e1f53ce21e01a5b9901a86c6b66414.pngimage.thumb.png.1648651243817365b6df4a331eeb0b7a.png

I really like your bottom label,and I really like the scent description on it as well.

If it were my label I wouldn't bold print the weight and I'd move it to the bottom where your hand poured is. 

• Like 2

Here's a couple examples I use. Don't laugh too hard I'm trying. Lol

Almond Extract- This scent will whisk you away to when you were at Grandma's house as a child growing up.Remember making those delicious homemade cookies with her? The aroma of vanilla and almond is in the air. This scent will make you smile and think of her and the good times you two had baking together. If you are  looking for an amazing almond extract this is IT:) This scent will take you there to your childhood memories.

Cherry Explosion- Imagine the smell of fresh, just-picked ripe cherries. The strong sensation is in the air.you have never smelled anything like it before. This Cherry will blow you away and even tickle your nose. Yes it is that strong! This is the bomb-diggity of all cherry-flavored fragrances I have ever found. And I have tried a bunch of them because I am a cherry fanatic.

Blue Spruce Christmas Tree- this is no ordinary Christmas Tree scent. Some Christmas tree scents are plain boring. Blue Spruce Christmas Tree is a Christmas Tree that is magical. It is jam-packed with a holiday fragrance that will hit you all at once in a good way. You can smell the outdoors at the tree picking lot. You will feel like you were there right now when you smell this scent. It is unlike any tree you have smelled before. It has an outdoor woodsy scent with Cedarwood sandalwood and other mysterious fragrances. Don't take my word for it though.try it for yourself and you can thank me later:)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

Almond Extract- This scent will whisk you away to when you were at Grandma's house as a child growing up.Remember making those delicious homemade cookies with her? The aroma of vanilla and almond is in the air. This scent will make you smile and think of her and the good times you two had baking together. If you are  looking for an amazing almond extract this is IT:) This scent will take you there to your childhood memories.

Cherry Explosion- Imagine the smell of fresh, just-picked ripe cherries. The strong sensation is in the air.you have never smelled anything like it before. This Cherry will blow you away and even tickle your nose. Yes it is that strong! This is the bomb-diggity of all cherry-flavored fragrances I have ever found. And I have tried a bunch of them because I am a cherry fanatic.

Blue Spruce Christmas Tree- this is no ordinary Christmas Tree scent. Some Christmas tree scents are plain boring. Blue Spruce Christmas Tree is a Christmas Tree that is magical. It is jam-packed with a holiday fragrance that will hit you all at once in a good way. You can smell the outdoors at the tree picking lot. You will feel like you were there right now when you smell this scent. It is unlike any tree you have smelled before. It has an outdoor woodsy scent with Cedarwood sandalwood and other mysterious fragrances. Don't take my word for it though.try it for yourself and you can thank me later:)

Those are great @ShelleyF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2018 at 11:56 AM, Quentin said:

I'm going back and forth with myself on whether or not to post mine.*shudder* I can handle the feedback, but there's something about mine I just don't like. I can't quite put my finger on it.:confused: Maybe I should just jump in and do it. No, I don't think I will. Maybe I will.:whistling:

Just do it Quentin!   lol

Trappeur

• Like 2

Wow Shelley, those are simply wonderful!   I love em all.   I would buy each scent, no kidding!

So these descriptions go on your website and not on the label, correct?

Your great at stories!

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Wow Shelley, those are simply wonderful!   I love em all.   I would buy each scent, no kidding!

So these descriptions go on your website and not on the label, correct?

Your great at stories!

Trappeur

Yeah those are great for a website!  I wonder if one could come up with a one sentence "summary" of each story for the label.  

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 11:44 AM, Paintguru said:

those that just want smelly, high throw candles.  I figured I would focus on the throw side of things.  

...and after all the hype, that's what it boils down to in the end.:)

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 10:08 AM, ShelleyF said:

Those are actually very good. So good in fact, that it leads me to what I think of when I think in terms of a product (or the display of same) "telling a story".  When I first heard the term "story" used in retail back in 1981, I had no idea what they meant by that term. Huh? My understanding of the concept doesn't mean that you literally have a written story for each product. It doesn't mean that you have ANYTHING in written form at all. A product line story is about the impression, emotion, general feeling or call-to-action that your overall presentation makes on a buyer. The buyer probably doesn't even realize he or she is being told a "story". The particular product or industry makes no difference. It could be anything from manure fertilizer to diamonds.  Let's step away from candles for a moment and I'll give an example that at least helps me understand the concept better. The word "story" in our context is a little nebulous, but here goes.

When you unfortunately have to visit a Big Box store, you are immediately confronted with stories. The list of examples is endless. We'll just use one.:)  It's Christmas shopping time and as we pass through the front door we are confronted by a huge pile of tool sets topped by a big, bright sign. "260 Piece Set. Only 49.99!"  The impression this immediately creates is "VALUE".  After all, if they have that many and at that price, it must be a good deal. Maybe it is. Maybe not. Let's walk down the strip to the upscale department store. We'll call it Blacey's. It is almost impossible to miss the cosmetic department in these places. The presentation here will most likely be just the opposite of what we saw at Orange Box Store.  The story here is a single bottle of $250.00 cologne on a beautifully draped table (and maybe a long-legged model in a short, black dress:whistling:) but the result is the same as the story that Orange Box just told us. It creates emotion, just like the examples you, @ShelleyF just presented. To wrap it up, you created the emotion of memories. Just condense it by finding or creating fragrances, matching emotional colors and packaging, and then present it in a complimentary manner or display. Whether online, craft shows, festivals or at the farmer's market, the venue really makes no difference. Fortunately, most of our work is already done for us because that's what scents and fragrances do. They bring back memories. Some happy, some sad and some bittersweet. All we really have to do is to get them to take a whiff or sniff. That plus your overall presentation tells your "story".  

Edited by Quentin
Missing punctuation
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quentin said:

Those are actually very good. So good in fact, that it leads me to what I think of when I think in terms of a product (or the display of same) "telling a story".  When I first heard the term "story" used in retail back in 1981, I had no idea what they meant by that term. Huh? My understanding of the concept doesn't mean that you literally have a written story for each product. It doesn't mean that you have ANYTHING in written form at all. A product line story is about the impression, emotion, general feeling or call-to-action that your overall presentation makes on a buyer. The buyer probably doesn't even realize he or she is being told a "story". The particular product or industry makes no difference. It could be anything from manure fertilizer to diamonds.  Let's step away from candles for a moment and I'll give an example that at least helps me understand the concept better. The word "story" in our context is a little nebulous, but here goes.

When you unfortunately have to visit a Big Box store, you are immediately confronted with stories. The list of examples is endless. We'll just use one.:)  It's Christmas shopping time and as we pass through the front door we are confronted by a huge pile of tool sets topped by a big, bright sign. "260 Piece Set. Only 49.99!"  The impression this immediately creates is "VALUE".  After all, if they have that many and at that price, it must be a good deal. Maybe it is. Maybe not. Let's walk down the strip to the upscale department store. We'll call it Blacey's. It is almost impossible to miss the cosmetic department in these places. The presentation here will most likely be just the opposite of what we saw at Orange Box Store.  The story here is a single bottle of $250.00 cologne on a beautifully draped table (and maybe a long-legged model in a short, black dress:whistling:) but the result is the same as the story that Orange Box just told us. It creates emotion, just like the examples you, @ShelleyF just presented. To wrap it up, you created the emotion of memories. Just condense it by finding or creating fragrances, matching emotional colors and packaging, and then present it in a complimentary manner or display. Whether online, craft shows, festivals or at the farmer's market, the venue really makes no difference. Fortunately, most of our work is already done for us because that's what scents and fragrances do. They bring back memories. Some happy, some sad and some bittersweet. All we really have to do is to get them to take a whiff or sniff. That plus your overall presentation tells your "story".  

Wow @Quentin you are so nice. I am pretty new and wasn't sure if it was good or not. I don't have a store. Only online so I have to be creative with words. But I do miss making cookies with my Grandma. I do meet local people from Facebook but not to sniff because it could be very dangerous with a lot of products. Also I don't want to be there for hours with people sniffing everything and maybe not buying. So my stories have to do the trick. 

I also am in the process of figuring out WHY someone would want to spend more than Walmart on my products without smelling them first. Like my burner cups I am selling. They cost more. Also my clamshells you only need 1 melt that will blaze through the house for a few days. Some brands you need 2, 3or even 4  meltsto get any scent. And then they aren't even good or strong. That is going to be my next story I'm working on. Lol I need a lot of stories asI have a ton of scents. Today I opened a drawer and there were about 50 small bottles in it. Then I opened a tote under my work tables and it was stuffed with fragrance oils. I opened a cabinet and a huge tote bag was stuffed with fragrance oils. I forgot I had these lol and I have 42 more on the way. I just got 88 yesterday. I have shelves everywhere with oils. I need a lot of stories. 

You should be a writer. You had me wanting to go to the mall to smell the perfume lol Even the grocery stores try it. The big brands pay premium to have their products at eye level. At least that is what I have read before. They have loss leaders every week. The sale price that is dirt cheap to get you into the store. Well go get the loss leaders and leave. That is what I do. I also go shopping after I eat. I buy so much less because who wants food when they are full? lol of course sometimes I don't buy enough then have to go again.

I wish we had a fragrance oils fanatics section on how to overcome the addiction. Quitting smoking 4 1/2 years ago was so much easier than this. I find amazing deals I can't pass up. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2018 at 4:48 PM, Trappeur said:

Just do it Quentin!   lol

Trappeur

If I can figure out how to copy them from my Avery program, I'll do it. I actually have more than one label depending on the size and shape of the container. 

They all follow the same graphic setup. Pretty much.:laugh2:

4 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I don't have a store. Only online

I don't have either one yet. So you're ahead of me. Working on a website, but even as easy as they make it today with templates, I'm really struggling with putting together a website. I just can't get it. GoDaddy isn't as easy as that racing girl on the commercials makes it seem.

4 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I also am in the process of figuring out WHY someone would want to spend more than Walmart on my products

That's a mental hangup for me too.

Also my clamshells you only need 1 melt that will blaze through the house for a few days.

See. You're ahead of the big guys already!

Today I opened a drawer and there were about 50 small bottles in it. Then I opened a tote under my work tables and it was stuffed with fragrance oils. I opened a cabinet and a huge tote bag was stuffed with fragrance oils. I forgot I had these lol and I have 42 more on the way. I just got 88 yesterday. I have shelves everywhere with oils.

Are you trying to copy me? ;)

The big brands pay premium to have their products at eye level.

Yep. You're exactly right. That's how they do it. They don't make any money selling groceries. They make their real profit from squeezing their vendors. Plus all the stuff they hang on those strips up and down the aisles.

You should be a writer. You had me wanting to go to the mall to smell the perfume

:blush: Thank you! I did some "back in the day", mostly press releases and advertising/promotional stuff. I've forgotten a good deal when it comes to proper punctuation and I can't put sentences together very well anymore.:( That really frustrates and depresses me.

I also go shopping after I eat.

...and NEVER go without a list.*shudder*

I am pretty new and wasn't sure if it was good or not.

I think you're figuring it out.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Quentin said:

I don't have either one yet. So you're ahead of me. Working on a website, but even as easy as they make it today with templates, I'm really struggling with putting together a website. I just can't get it. GoDaddy isn't as easy as that racing girl on the commercials makes it seem.

That's a mental hangup for me too.

See. You're ahead of the big guys already!

Are you trying to copy me? ;)

Yep. You're exactly right. That's how they do it. They don't make any money selling groceries. They make their real profit from squeezing their vendors. Plus all the stuff they hang on those strips up and down the aisles.

:blush: Thank you! I did some "back in the day", mostly press releases and advertising/promotional stuff. I've forgotten a good deal when it comes to proper punctuation and I can't put sentences together very well anymore.:( That really frustrates and depresses me.

...and NEVER go without a list.*shudder*

I think you're figuring it out.

My son in law built me a website. I have no idea how to do that lol he made one from scratch with coding and all that stuff. I have my own domain. It's not fancy and it isn't up to date either lol I have to add to it and make new pictures. It's a lot of work lol

So you have a fragrance obsession just like everyone else on this forum lol it is unbelievable how hard it is to say I think I have enough. No you never will. I had a lady recently ask if O had 2 kinds she wanted and nope I sure didn't. But do now lol it's crazy. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

It's not fancy and it isn't up to date either lol I have to add to it and make new pictures. It's a lot of work lol

Right now I'd take any kind of website I could get. I've got to check with GoDaddy. I may have picked a package that was too complicated for me. I've got to do something. Right now, I'm bleeding money.:( In the meantime, I stumbling over starting too many projects at one time and not completely finishing any. If that sounds like A.D.H.D., yes it is. :wacko:

On 10/15/2018 at 9:07 PM, ScentedPleasurez said:

I really like your bottom label,and I really like the scent description on it as well.

If it were my label I wouldn't bold print the weight and I'd move it to the bottom where your hand poured is. 

It really should read:  Net Wt 8 oz (226.8g)  You can hear it from me or you can hear it from @TallTayl :lol:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Quentin said:

Right now I'd take any kind of website I could get. I've got to check with GoDaddy. I may have picked a package that was too complicated for me. I've got to do something. Right now, I'm bleeding money.:( In the meantime, I stumbling over starting too many projects at one time and not completely finishing any. If that sounds like A.D.H.D., yes it is. :wacko:

I don't know how to make one either. I will try to figure it out for you. I have a billion projects going at one time. I didn't know that was A.D.H.D. I've always been like that lol

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Quentin said:

It really should read:  Net Wt 8 oz (226.8g)  You can hear it from me or you can hear it from @TallTayl 

I didn't say the weight should be removed. We all know weight is supposed to be on there. I just said that I wouldn't hold it and I would move it to the bottom of it were my label. 

Side note

I really like that the descriptions are on the label. I wish mine were big enough for that. I do not do 2 labels. I have the label on the lids of my jj candles and scent on warning label.

1 hour ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

I didn't say the weight should be removed. We all know weight is supposed to be on there. I just said that I wouldn't hold it and I would move it to the bottom of it were my label. 

:confused: I didn't say that you said the weight should be removed. I said he should have it written in a different form. You've got me confused now.:confused::lol::confused::blink::) 

What are we talking about?

1 hour ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

Side note

I really like that the descriptions are on the label. I wish mine were big enough for that. I do not do 2 labels. I have the label on the lids of my jj candles and scent on warning label.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:07 PM, ScentedPleasurez said:

I think this is what I said.  I don't know.:huh: :( Goodnight:)

2 hours ago, Quentin said:

It really should read:  Net Wt 8 oz (226.8g)  You can hear it from me or you can hear it from @TallTayl :lol:

See what had happened was... the original poster asked for opinions on their label. I said what I would change if it were mine.

You then came along and quoted what I said saying how it should be reading and I could hear it from you or TT with all your emojis. 

If you had a suggestion on the label it was no need to quote what I said and then tell me that i could hear it from you or TT, (because you are quoting me that means you are telling me and I'm not the one asking for label advice)

It clearly makes more sense if they have something labeled incorrectly that it should be quoted to that particular person,after all you are trying to make them aware,I believe..... 

Quite frankly I'm done on the matter,and dont really care to go back and forth on the subject.. 

• Thanks 1