Label advice and feedback

Paintguru

Okay I'll put myself out there and hopefully get some good feedback.  Here is what I have for my labels for my candles.  I plan to put the round one on all the tops of my candles and then the rectangular one on the sides, which obviously have the details about the fragrance.  Thoughts?  Also, how much description do you put on the label when it comes to the scent.  Notice what I did....too much?  Anything else I'm missing?  Thanks in advance!

image.png.b7e1f53ce21e01a5b9901a86c6b66414.pngimage.thumb.png.1648651243817365b6df4a331eeb0b7a.png

• Like 3

I really like that color, kind of a rosy wine ...?  Probably some of the expert label makers here will give you some helpful thoughts.  The only thing I would say is that I think the weight needs to show the net weight , maybe "Net. Wt. or net wt." (?) and perhaps the weight should be a bit smaller and not bold (?), with your company name a little bigger (and bold ...?)  Also, what type of wax?

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Paintguru said:

Well it's paraffin...do I really need to call it out?  Thanks for the tips on the fonts, it all makes sense.   

No, I guess you don't need to say anything about the wax, I guess if it's not called out, people assume it's paraffin.  Your design/logo is eye-catching ... now I'm wondering what Gingered Bergamot smells like ... sounds interesting!

• Like 1

Your labels are gorgeous Paint!

I love everything about them.   You know I have often contemplated putting a more real descriptive description on mine as I personally like to know what I'm buying instead of guessing and smelling the candle.  I love what you did.

The only thing I would do just a smidgeon different is like what Birdcharm said making the weight in smaller fonts and maybe not as bold...I don't know...you'll have to play around with it.

As far as stating the wax is paraffin, well actually I went and googled paraffin candles and looked at other candle companies to see what they did.  I never did find a label that said paraffin.   Being that we are in a soy, soy blend, natural soy candle world and everyone looks for soy predominantly, if that were me I would probably not mention they are paraffin because of the way most people think, you know?   I think you would steer more people away from a paraffin candle versus a soy....and I'm not knocking paraffin believe me....maybe if you did want to mention a type wax maybe the word "parasoy" would work?   I don't really know.   Me, I don't think I would mention a thing.

Great job!   You'll have to post a picture of your finished candle!    Would love to see it!

Trappeur

• Like 1

Thanks for the love and suggestions...they are much appreciated.  I really like the circular logo, as it is nice for social networks like Twitter, Facebook, etc. 

I switched to 4630 during my development just to get the throw I wanted (even though the shrinkage is driving me nuts).  I feel like there are two camps of customers:  those that want soy and those that just want smelly, high throw candles.  I figured I would focus on the throw side of things.  

I will try to get some pics of finished products.  I need to make a batch for my kids' teachers for Christmas gifts, so I'll use those as my trial run.  

Oh, and that color....I had to buy a whole new color laser printer because my first one could not reproduce it well (it turned it very bright and skewed pink).  Drove me nuts!

• Like 1

Pretty.  Can’t wait to see them on an actual container 🤗

Net weight is what the US labeling laws specify.   (Burn hours are impossible to quantify and can land you in trouble should someone choose to report the label.)like others,  I would make net wt. smaller, with a little white space above/below it. 

As for descriptors go with as much as you like and see how your market responds. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes a candle impossible to get people to even smell. For instance, a #1 best seller here is blood orange based. People pick it up for the name, and nearly always buy it. When people ask first what the scent blend is, and I tell them it contains patchouli, many slap that candle down and recoil without ever taking a sniff. For kicks, I’ll pick one up from the other side of the display and ask them to sniff without revealing that it is the same candle and they absolutely love it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

As for descriptors go with as much as you like and see how your market responds. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes a candle impossible to get people to even smell. For instance, a #1 best seller here is blood orange based. People pick it up for the name, and nearly always buy it. When people ask first what the scent blend is, and I tell them it contains patchouli, many slap that candle down and recoil without ever taking a sniff. For kicks, I’ll pick one up from the other side of the display and ask them to sniff without revealing that it is the same candle and they absolutely love it. 

That's great, and an interesting point.  I guess it depends if you're selling online vs. in person.  I figure online needs the description a bit more, while in person, as you said, people usually smell and buy based on the name.  Maybe I'll remove it and just go with names.  It would clear some space for me in that lower region.  

• Like 1

I like it. I like the description you have on there. As for the color, it's nice too. If I hadn't noticed that you were from Michigan I would have thought you were a big Alabama Crimson Tide fan.:lol: I'm not, but I'll save that for the sports forums. SEC:rockon:

1 hour ago, Paintguru said:

For instance, a #1 best seller here is blood orange based.

I've seen "blood orange" all around the web. I never can bring myself to order and try it simply because of the name. Same with Dragon's Breath.:)

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Net weight is what the US labeling laws specify.

Ever since you brought this to my attention many weeks back, I've been meticulous (obsessed actually) about the weights on the labels.:icon_highfive:  As an aside, let me add that if you are going to make a set of candles, fragrances or whatever, you only need the Net Wt of the entire package. With a bag of cookies or chips for example, they don't weigh each cookie. :lol: 

On 10/12/2018 at 7:44 PM, Paintguru said:

Okay I'll put myself out there and hopefully get some good feedback.

I'm going back and forth with myself on whether or not to post mine.*shudder* I can handle the feedback, but there's something about mine I just don't like. I can't quite put my finger on it.:confused: Maybe I should just jump in and do it. No, I don't think I will. Maybe I will.:whistling:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paintguru said:

Maybe I'll remove it and just go with names.

For many of my fragrances, I've come up with my own names just by borrowing a word or two from the company's description. How many more Amish Harvest fragrances does the market need? I saw the word "golden" in one description. My version is now called Golden Harvest. @Paintguru, just follow your heart.

13 minutes ago, Quentin said:

For many of my fragrances, I've come up with my own names just by borrowing a word or two from the company's description. How many more Amish Harvest fragrances does the market need? I saw the word "golden" in one description. My version is now called Golden Harvest. @Paintguru, just follow your heart.

That's a great tip.  There is good stuff in this thread, and you should definitely post your labels.  It is so hard coming up with branding, but so critical and hard to modify after the fact.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

When people ask first what the scent blend is, and I tell them it contains patchouli, many slap that candle down and recoil without ever taking a sniff. For kicks, I’ll pick one up from the other side of the display and ask them to sniff without revealing that it is the same candle and they absolutely love it. 

That's funny you say that about patchouli. I hate straight patchouli, turns my stomach but I know that there are some scents that contain it and smell wonderful. In my opinion, it's certainly a scent to use as only a mixer. LOL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laura C said:

That's funny you say that about patchouli. I hate straight patchouli, turns my stomach but I know that there are some scents that contain it and smell wonderful. In my opinion, it's certainly a scent to use as only a mixer. LOL. 

The word Patchouli isn't very pretty, I suppose. I love the fragrance. To me, it sounds like it would be a good name for a social disease. Perhaps those you're speaking of know someone who is suffering from Patchouli and it turns them off. To me, the name conjures up memories from my dorm in college. It reminds me of the dreadful odor from the dishes that some of the foreign students cooked up in their rooms. As soon as I would step off the elevator onto my floor, I would immediately be overcome by it.

2 hours ago, Laura C said:

I’ll pick one up from the other side of the display and ask them to sniff without revealing that it is the same candle and they absolutely love it. 

I had an idea the other day... I could have one candle scented with Patchouli for the "educated":rolleyes: people. Right next to it I could have another that was mainly Patchouli with just a touch of some other floral fragrance and name it "Flower Child". Washed up hippies from the 1960s would simply love it. Hmm, maybe a touch of marijuana fragrance instead. :mellow:    

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2018 at 7:44 PM, Paintguru said:

Okay I'll put myself out there and hopefully get some good feedback.  Here is what I have for my labels for my candles.  I plan to put the round one on all the tops of my candles and then the rectangular one on the sides, which obviously have the details about the fragrance.  Thoughts?  Also, how much description do you put on the label when it comes to the scent.  Notice what I did....too much?  Anything else I'm missing?  Thanks in advance!

image.png.b7e1f53ce21e01a5b9901a86c6b66414.pngimage.thumb.png.1648651243817365b6df4a331eeb0b7a.png

It looks very nice.