Fragrance Oil Changed In CP Soap

Courtney89

Hey, you've been seeing a lot of me lately, but my first batches of soap definitely did not turn out as planned.

Anyway, I made a batch of soap with Blackberry Sage fragrance from Nature's Garden and the day after I cut it, I noticed that the smell has changed and it's kind of got a minty moldy (if that makes any sense) smell to it. It smells nothing like it did when I cut it. It's now been a week and it still smells like that. Whenever I was making it, it did accelerate extremely fast, I had to pretty much glop it into the mold. But I'm pretty sure I didn't wait long enough for the lye water to cool down on it though. Other than the scent it seems the soap did pretty well.

My recipe was as follows:

20% palm oil

30% coconut oil

40% canola oil

5% castor oil

5% sweet almond oil

2 oz of Blackberry Sage from Nature's Garden fragrance

Thank you so much for all the help you've given me so far.

• Sad 1

Welcome to the world of cp soap. Not all fragrances will withstand a high pH of soap. Some people will hot process, adding those FO at the end to prevent the scent loss.  Frankly, I find if a scent doesn’t hold in cp, it won’t do all that great in hp either, so why bother. 

I have that same scent.  It morphed and fades to nothing on me. Blackberry is a difficult one to work with for some reason, even in candles. 

Not every scent is soap safe.  One test is to add a drop or three to a tiny bit of lye water.  If the scent is going to morph or fade it will do so quickly. If it will with stand the caustic environment, you will be able to smell it. Be super duper careful with this test as you know lye water is not the safest thing to be messing with. Rule #1, don’t get hurt. 

One word about canola oil, it is high in linolenic acid, which will likely cause your beautiful soap to develop orange spots over time. Any soap formula with a combined total of 15% linolenic acid will be prone to that (called DOS, for dreaded orange spots). If you keep the soap long enough it will turn to a rancid spoiled oil smell and become oily. Soapcalc will give you the fatty acid profiles of each oil and the combined in your formula. Soy bean, corn, and similar will develop the same symptoms, 

Thanks for the advice. The fragrance actually works great in my candles and is my favorite scent. I wasnt sure about it in soap but then I smelled some from the soap store in our town square and hoped it'd turn out well. It's just a learning process. I only learned about the Orange spots after I made it. I read so much about oils and I never even came across the term. I'm definitely gonna cut it out of my recipe.

I don't have much to add as you have gotten some really good advice re canola. If you still want to use it I would simply lower the % and pay close attention to my fatty acid profiles so you don't run the risk of DOS. Olive oil as mentioned by Barbara is an excellent soaping oil and makes lovely, mild soap.