Heating wax with FOs beyond flashpoint to remove scent?

Hello Everyone! This is my first post but I've been reading for a year.

I made a batch of candles using soy wax 444 and mixed fragrance oils. Let's just say the candles smell like rotten bananas when lit. Would melting/heating the wax to about 250 degrees F remove the scents? I'd hate to throw out about 15lbs of wax.

The scent will dissipate at some point, but the FO oil is still in the wax and changing its composition and flashpoint.  You can't re-use it with a different FO and expect it to act like it never had the original FO added to begin with.  It may act OK and it may not.  You can probably use it up in firestarters, though, or maybe tarts if the new FO doesn't make it too greasy and at least get some use out of it.  It's just iffy as wicked candles again.

• Like 1

Plus, fragrances are not made of “just” volatile components that evaporate. Aromachemicals are very expensive. If your bottle of fragrance was purely the aromachemicals portion a lb bottle would cost hundreds, possibly thousands of $ depending on the scent.

fragrances are diluted with carriers for ease of use and personal safety. Those carriers will not evaporate and are what makes candle wax burn differently when fragrance is added. 

On 10/11/2018 at 8:48 AM, Darbla said:

You can probably use it up in firestarters, though, or maybe tarts if the new FO doesn't make it too greasy and at least get some use out of it.

Neat, I like the idea of making firestarters and melts/tarts. Are melts and tarts the same thing? I imagine you could get really creative with making those things.

I have probably at least 200 test candles in containers that I want to do something with other than just melting down and throwing in the trash. I'd like to turn them into sellable items of some sort and recoup some of my expenses. I hate waste and I hate wasting money.  ♻️  💰

• 3 weeks later...

Remember also that when adding fragrance oil , you have a maximum suggested loading from the manufacturer ( ie; 464 add max. 12% oil). Your wax can only hold a certain amount of oil before it leaches to the top of your candle , causing sweating and oil slicks. Also , heating your oil to 250f may have adversely altered your wax . I am no scientist , but I know different waxes I have used can be ruined by extreme heat.  Count your losses and ditch it. use it for summer nightime BBQ candles , but don't sell it. You may be sorry