fragrance oil by weight or fl oz?

I've been lurking here for awhile and I learned a lot. I've seen where when adding fragrance oil to wax, its by percentage. like 10% for example.

now for example, I have 1 lb wax (16oz), and I want 10%, so that's 1.6 oz fragrance oil

my question is, should the fragrance oil be measured by weight? or by fl oz?

I apologize in advance if this may be a stupid question.

Happy monday! :)

Definitely by weight. Just to explain a bit though since I always want to know why :) Fragrances are all made of different ingredients which means they will take up different amounts of space. Some fragrances are super light and will fill a bottle almost completely, others are really really heavy and do not take up a lot of space. If you measure by volume, you could over or under fragrance your wax which could cause issues. The first time, I really understood the weight concept was when I ordered a Vanilla fragrance. The 16 oz bottle arrived and looked less than 3/4 full but on a scale, it was 16 oz. Hope this helps you! 

• Like 1

Weight mainly for consistency. 

All liquids vary in density, which makes them weigh different even in the same volume. think about how much a gallon of water weighs versus a gallon of lead. 

The term “specific gravity” will be listed on safety data sheets (SDS) and certificates of analysis (CoA) to tell you how “dense” the oil is. Wholesale supplies plus is good at providing this information. Water is used as the baseline for measurements. The specific gravity of water at sea level is 100%, or 1.0. The specific gravity for corn oil, for example, is 0.924 (or 92.4%), meaning it is less dense than water.  The explains why oil floats on water. The water is more dense than oil. No matter how much you shake that bottle of oil and water they don’t stay mixed without additives. 

Citrus fragrances and essential oils are much less dense than, say, vanilla, so they take more volume but weigh the same. 

Here’s a portion of WSP SDS for grapefruit essential oil

C6103C66-9E96-40BA-824B-322D610194E0.png

And here’s vanilla bean Noel.

6F774DC5-1DB3-4D21-87DE-3BD934F81DB6.png

• Like 2

More stupid questions .... so you are weighing your FO by weight. You set your little cup on the scale and dribble in your FO. Then you pour it into your hot wax. But a portion of it sticks inside the little cup, leaving a thick coating. When you are dealing with such small amounts (if you are making one pound batches at a time) those few drops that do not make it into the wax have to make a difference.

Do you spray your measuring spoons and little cups with silicone spray so every last drop of FO slides out? Does this matter?

7 hours ago, Ramr said:

More stupid questions .... so you are weighing your FO by weight. You set your little cup on the scale and dribble in your FO. Then you pour it into your hot wax. But a portion of it sticks inside the little cup, leaving a thick coating. When you are dealing with such small amounts (if you are making one pound batches at a time) those few drops that do not make it into the wax have to make a difference.

Do you spray your measuring spoons and little cups with silicone spray so every last drop of FO slides out? Does this matter?

Those little drops don't make a difference.....really.

No I don't spray anything into the little cups, just pour and weigh and pour into the wax.

Trappeur

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

I put my pour pot directly on the scale tare the scale and use the squeeze bottles to add fo, zero loss.

Thats what I do.  I pour right right out of the 1 pound bottles right into the pot and then pour into the containers.

Trappeur