For those of you that color your soy wax

How do you combat the frosting and discoloration issues? Ive never colored my soy (444) but have been asked to by a customer. I have been at it for a while now and now matter what I do the colors start to whitewash and frost. Are you folks using additives to help reduce the natural frosting that occurs in soy? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Hi Clear Black,

Unfortunately that is the reason why I went from colored to natural undyed candles.   I tried additives, but even that didn't help.   If you went with a colored jar or frosted jar that is defeating the purpose of what you are asking.   It's just one of the characteristic traits that comes with soy wax.   Sorry this was of no help....Will the customer not accept your candle just natural?

Trappeur

I don't typically color because of frosting or blotching but decided to color those mini mason jars just so you could see the word Love on them better.  I'm using only essential oils in those and dying pastel but dang I have not seen any frosting.  I had them sit at least a month before putting them out to sell, I can't say what would happen after 2 months because I only made 8 and they were gone in a month.

I used liquid dye and USA in my C3. I haven't had time to get back into candle making for the past 3 months but when I do I'm going to try red and brown which notoriously frost.

I explain to the customers that frosting occurs naturally in soy wax, like the bloom that eventually develops on chocolate, and that frosting is their guarantee that they are getting a pure soy candle.  They don't seem to be bothered by frosting.  

To keep the colors true, I use UV inhibitor.

@Trappeur I already supply the customer with uncolored natural ones, but was asked to do colored as well.  If I cannot provide them she will look elsewhere for another brand but still carry my natural soy ones. Oh well.

@kandlekrazy Is USA the same as UV inhib?

@Crafty1_AJ Even with the UV do you still get the bloom/frosting? I might just offer this customer a paracoco alternative to the colored soy.

Thanks all

10 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

no it's Universal Soy Additive.  It hardens the wax a bit, supposed to help with adhesion (not so much) and tops are smoother.

Ok thanks.  I use 444 and its rather hard in its natural state and I have no issues with ugly tops so I do not think USA would benefit me. Thanks for the info :)