Aging Candles

This may only apply to candles made with 6006, or soy, but I’ve noticed something that I find interesting. I recently lit an 8oz Tureen with 6006 and CS Oak Moss and Amber that I made in June of last year, the HT is amazing. The candle is clearly over wicked and at the time I made it I was far less educated than I am now. I had a similar experience with a well-aged candle a while back. When I was looking for tins last Friday I found a tin with CS English Garden that I made in April of 17. The CT is far stronger than anything I’m making today and I lit it a few minutes ago and the HT is great. The thing is it is a 464 candle; I gave up using that wax because I couldn’t get any HT. I’m guessing here, but I think the curing process goes on for a lot longer than two weeks. I suspect our candles cure the most during the first day and each day after that they cure a little less than the day before. So, the difference between two weeks and three weeks isn’t that much, but the difference between two weeks and 52 weeks is big. If I am right this doesn’t mean much to professional candle makers, unless you have a lot of storage and just want to get ahead of the game. But it could mean a lot for a hobbyist like me. There is no reason I couldn’t make next year’s Christmas candles in January and store them under the bed. For me this would change the way I do things. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Oh, I would like to point out that although it took 18 months I have finally make a good soy candle.

25 minutes ago, Forrest said:

This may only apply to candles made with 6006, or soy, but I’ve noticed something that I find interesting. I recently lit an 8oz Tureen with 6006 and CS Oak Moss and Amber that I made in June of last year, the HT is amazing. The candle is clearly over wicked and at the time I made it I was far less educated than I am now. I had a similar experience with a well-aged candle a while back. When I was looking for tins last Friday I found a tin with CS English Garden that I made in April of 17. The CT is far stronger than anything I’m making today and I lit it a few minutes ago and the HT is great. The thing is it is a 464 candle; I gave up using that wax because I couldn’t get any HT. I’m guessing here, but I think the curing process goes on for a lot longer than two weeks. I suspect our candles cure the most during the first day and each day after that they cure a little less than the day before. So, the difference between two weeks and three weeks isn’t that much, but the difference between two weeks and 52 weeks is big. If I am right this doesn’t mean much to professional candle makers, unless you have a lot of storage and just want to get ahead of the game. But it could mean a lot for a hobbyist like me. There is no reason I couldn’t make next year’s Christmas candles in January and store them under the bed. For me this would change the way I do things. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Oh, I would like to point out that although it took 18 months I have finally make a good soy candle.

I had to laugh because this happened to me. I was trying 464 but got discouraged. I didn't want to throw my melts away so I kept them. Some didn't cure for 4 months! I kept notes and thought they were duds. Yesterday I found some melts that I made last November lol they are very strong now. Had No throw before. Way too long for my patience except these were lighter scents. I'm going to only make strong scents with the soy I still have. Make them now and maybe they will be ready before January lol 

I had a less than happy experience with 464 soy candles I found from last year! I always write tons of notes on my tester candles when I make them.  I found a box over the weekend and my notes gleefully stated how beautiful they looked (yes, self encouragement 😁).  Unfortunately, after almost a years time they are now some of the fugliest ones I’ve ever seen. They aren’t colored but the frosting patches are bad and the tops look like chalk!

Edited by gls

30 minutes ago, gls said:

I had a less than happy experience with 464 soy candles I found from last year! I always write tons of notes on my tester candles when I make them.  I found a box over the weekend and my notes gleefully stated how beautiful they looked (yes, self encouragement 😁).  Unfortunately, after almost a years time they are now some of the fugliest ones I’ve ever seen. They aren’t colored but the frosting patches are bad and the tops look like chalk!

The one I found spent a year in the garage and I can't say it was pretty, but the HT is great!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Forrest said:

The one I found spent a year in the garage and I can't say it was pretty, but the HT is great!

I made several huge candles for someone,they passed away in 2012 while clearing out a closet I came across some of my candles and o m g they take your head off. I made these candles in 2005. Lol. I don't use your wax but I think the same will go with any wax

29 minutes ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

I made several huge candles for someone,they passed away in 2012 while clearing out a closet I came across some of my candles and o m g they take your head off. I made these candles in 2005. Lol. I don't use your wax but I think the same will go with any wax

Did you use soy or a soy blend? I'm wondering if this effect is true for paraffin also.

21 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Did you use soy or a soy blend? I'm wondering if this effect is true for paraffin also.

No at that time I used 4630.

I can tell you that I made some candles in 2012 with 4630. I used to keep 1 of each fo I used and they are super strong. I had 1 going last night and ended up putting it out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

No at that time I used 4630.

I can tell you that I made some candles in 2012 with 4630. I used to keep 1 of each fo I used and they are super strong. I had 1 going last night and ended up putting it out.

Well that would indicate that it is both soy and paraffin that benefit from long cure times.

• Like 1

True of any wax. The thing is, normally you would not have weeks to months to cure a candle. I did only wholesale, so my orders were out the door in a week or less. Meaning my scents needed to be optimal within that time frame. It really will still limit what works well in your wax and you can use long term depending on how you sell. If you only did shows, then do them early and let them cure!

2 hours ago, Flicker said:

True of any wax. The thing is, normally you would not have weeks to months to cure a candle. I did only wholesale, so my orders were out the door in a week or less. 

Which wax were you using Flicker? I know you used to talk a lot about different waxes on bc board.