The weirdest soap advice ever!

Courtney89

Before I start my question. I'm just curious if it's true. I did not try it nor do I plan to try it. I'm new to the craft and am not completely certain on some of the science yet. So my curious mind needs to know. Please don't make fun of me because I'm fully aware of how strange this advice sounds.

Anyway, I was reading an article about soap making and someone asked the question "How do I know when my soap is done curing?"  to which someone told them to wait two weeks and then lick the soap and if it tastes like soap it's ready but if it burns your tongue it's not.

So I tried looking it up and found it in two more blogs. I'm not sure which ones though.

The tongue test is only to detect free lye.  If you have used a calculator, and your measurements are precise with a safe factor for superfat you should not have any free lye after about a day. Most of the saponification happens within the first few hours, using up most of the lye In the blend, 

Licking Soap directly is dangerous advice from a scientific perspective. Any lye you may happen to encounter will tingle to burn depending on how much free lye is on that surface. If you want to do the test, wet the soap, touch a finger to it, then lick the finger. Keep in mind many fragrances are not “safe” for oral use and could cause chemical burns or adverse reactions. 

Curing has more to it than just detecting free lye. Keep reading, testing and learning. You’ll soon realize the bogus sites and those well worth your time. 🤗

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never do the tongue test. It always seemed a bit silly to me that some soapers do this. My soap is generally saponified by the time I take it out of the mold to cut anyway. That's because I let my soap sit overnight in the mold for at least 12-18 hours before I unmold. But I do that not only to not disturb the soap while its saponifying but also to eliminate any chance of it developing ash. But you have to not peek at it and that is hard to do when you are anxious about a new soap you just made.:wink: