What's your return/exchanges policy?

Testing123

I was going to use "Satisfaction Guaranteed Or Your Money Back", but Sears had already grabbed that one. :)  But here's mine:

"Return Policy: You get to make the choice! We will gladly replace the item you purchased or refund the purchase price at no additional cost to you. We reserve the right to make replacements with merchandise of equal value if the product you purchased is no longer available."

I can live with that. I think it's more than fair and it's printed on all my receipts.  I don't want any fights. I want return customers. Can it be abused by a customer? Certainly! But I'll be able to spot those people with a trend of abuse and deal with them in a polite but businesslike discussion. Then, if they can't handle my feelings that I will no longer be able to accommodate them, they can choose to shop elsewhere. If I can document their trend with a paper trail, I should rarely have any problem. As long as I'm consistent with everyone! I won't lose that customer. I will have only lost a bad debt.

On the other hand, I'm not going to post big signs everywhere touting the policy like Sears did. I worked for Sears for 12 years (yes, another one of my many jobs :lol:) and I saw absolutely ridiculous things happen when it came to returns. Things like people bringing back dirty underwear. That's not a joke. By the way, Sears no longer has that policy posted over the door of every store. I was there the day the sign company scraped it off the doors at the store where I worked.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

So, what's the matter with "all sales are final?" 

There's nothing wrong with that at all. However, what would you do in the unlikely event where you accidentally made a product that was obviously defective or even dangerous?:smile:

• Like 1

Policies tend to evolve as business issues arise. Word gets around to scammer groups pretty quickly, so I have had to modify terms as they teach me new ones 🤪

jump around on etsy for popular shops. Take notes on how things are worded. With mail order internet sales, a big scam is to pretend the item never arrived. Or the item arrived in an empty box. Or the box did not contain what you said. Those will erode your profits faster than any legit issues. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Quentin said:

I was going to use "Satisfaction Guaranteed Or Your Money Back", but Sears had already grabbed that one. :)  But here's mine:

"Return Policy: You get to make the choice! We will gladly replace the item you purchased or refund the purchase price at no additional cost to you. We reserve the right to make replacements with merchandise of equal value if the product you purchased is no longer available."

I can live with that. I think it's more than fair and it's printed on all my receipts.  I don't want any fights. I want return customers. Can it be abused by a customer? Certainly! But I'll be able to spot those people with a trend of abuse and deal with them in a polite but businesslike discussion. Then, if they can't handle my feelings that I will no longer be able to accommodate them, they can choose to shop elsewhere. If I can document their trend with a paper trail, I should rarely have any problem. As long as I'm consistent with everyone! I won't lose that customer. I will have only lost a bad debt.

On the other hand, I'm not going to post big signs everywhere touting the policy like Sears did. I worked for Sears for 12 years (yes, another one of my many jobs :lol:) and I saw absolutely ridiculous things happen when it came to returns. Things like people bringing back dirty underwear. That's not a joke. By the way, Sears no longer has that policy posted over the door of every store. I was there the day the sign company scraped it off the doors at the store where I worked.

Thanks for your reply Quentin!  Can you help with this scenario please? :) Let's say I have a satisfaction guaranteed policy and the customer wants to make an exchange. The customer ships the candle back to me. I know the customer would have to pay for shipping to ship it back to me. But should I require that THEY pay the shipping for me to send a new candle back to THEM? Or do I pay the shipping?

I hope I'm being clear.

1 hour ago, Quentin said:

There's nothing wrong with that at all. However, what would you do in the unlikely event where you accidentally made a product that was obviously defective or even dangerous?:smile:

Okay, let's say it wasn't made defective, but it arrived melted ... that's more realistic.  In such a case as shipping damage, then if the customer sends a photo of the damage, I would say that a replacement would be fair, but perhaps charge for shipping -- let's say it was packaged well, but the customer was out of town and allowed it to sit on their porch -- there needs to be some responsibility on the part of the customer in certain scenarios.  I guess that's why some people refuse to ship certain items during temperature extremes, then it eliminates the problem.

I just personally cannot see leaving it up to a customer to safely package and return candles.  Also, a common phrase (I think so anyway), is "due to the nature of our products, all sales are final" -- that's because if it's a product that gets opened (or burned, etc.), then it's no longer new.  I think it's better to offer little sample scent sniffers so people could order those if they'd like to see what the f/o smells like before ordering.   It seems that in some ways saying up front that the sale is final probably avoids some problems, then, if something arises, you can be flexible based on the scenario, but the warning up front eliminates the expectation of a replacement order ... I mean, how many times would someone be permitted to order a box of stuff, not like the scent and return it?

• Like 1

In 3 years on Etsy I had 1 person order candles and ask if they could return it.  I had them pay for the return shipping and I refunded sale.  Otherwise any of the complaints are that one of the candles came damaged.  I ask for a few pics, open a claim with USPS and then send them another one.  USPS insurance claim process is very simple.  All priority mail comes with $100 of insurance.  I submit a claim for the cost of the candle plus shipping.  A week or 2 later I get a check in the mail.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, MilosCandles said:

In 3 years on Etsy I had 1 person order candles and ask if they could return it.  I had them pay for the return shipping and I refunded sale.  Otherwise any of the complaints are that one of the candles came damaged.  I ask for a few pics, open a claim with USPS and then send them another one.  USPS insurance claim process is very simple.  All priority mail comes with $100 of insurance.  I submit a claim for the cost of the candle plus shipping.  A week or 2 later I get a check in the mail.

Unless something has changed USPS is insured to $50 with Priority. You can purchase more if you want. Fedex insures your package automatically upto $100. Extra can be purchased.

• Like 2

@Moonstar At 1st I was going to agree with you.  And YES according to USPS website that is accurate, only $50 of insurance.  BUT

If you ship with Etsy, you get "Insurance: Parcels include $100 of insurance from the USPS."

https://www.etsy.com/shipping/us/help/us-priority-mail

And I actually use www.pirateship.com which also included $100 of insurance from USPS.

You did make me second guess myself.

• Like 2

This is posted returns policy - 

Returns Policy

Due to the nature of the products we sell, it is the policy of The Candle Attic that all sales are final. 
No returns or exchanges on any items.
However, we strive for customer satisfaction, and in the event there is a concern or problem with any product you purchase from us, please let us know right away and we will investigate. 
Thank you for your understanding.

22 hours ago, Quentin said:

In this case, we would investigate and in most cases refund, or replace, but not exchange or have them return the product. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MilosCandles said:

@Moonstar At 1st I was going to agree with you.  And YES according to USPS website that is accurate, only $50 of insurance.  BUT

If you ship with Etsy, you get "Insurance: Parcels include $100 of insurance from the USPS."

https://www.etsy.com/shipping/us/help/us-priority-mail

And I actually use www.pirateship.com which also included $100 of insurance from USPS.

You did make me second guess myself.

Good to know ! Ill have to look into pirateship, Ive never heard of it, so thank you :) 

• Like 3

On 10/1/2018 at 7:47 PM, Testing123 said:

Thanks for your reply Quentin!  Can you help with this scenario please? :) Let's say I have a satisfaction guaranteed policy and the customer wants to make an exchange. The customer ships the candle back to me. I know the customer would have to pay for shipping to ship it back to me. But should I require that THEY pay the shipping for me to send a new candle back to THEM? Or do I pay the shipping?

I hope I'm being clear.

Yes, you're clear. I've thought a little about that part. I'm not really sure what I would do. Actually I do know how I would handle it. Example: If I made a defective or dangerous product, I would certainly want to get the candle back in my hands ASAP.  Since it was my fault, I wouldn't feel right making them pay the return shipping for my mistake. I would get a prepaid return label through UPS, USPS or whichever way it was originally shipped to the customer as fast as possible. That can probably be done through email.  If they don't want an exchange but just their money back, then once I got notification that they had dropped it off at the carrier or the carrier picked it up, I would immediately issue a refund. You could wait for it to actually arrive back at your place, that would be fair too. I'm going to lose money regardless, but the customer would be satisfied and that would end it. If they want an exchange on the defective product, I still feel I should send them a new candle and that I should pay the shipping back to them. At that point, I'm losing even more money. Remember that this is also a liability issue. I can't take any chances. Now I'm bleeding money, but I've gained something I could never buy at any price. My reputation is still intact, I have a paper trail to prove I dealt with the safety issue, the customer is relieved and feels good. 

What if the customer says, "I accidentally bought the wrong candle?"  If I had a bricks and mortar store, common practice would be for them to bring it to me for a return or exchange. That's just the way it's done. They have to use their gasoline and time.  I'm in the mail order business. They just admitted it was their fault, so now I can expect them to treat me fairly. Asking them to pay return postage both ways would be reasonable under my policy. I realize I just walked into my own trap because my policy said "at no additional cost to them" and I know someone is lurking out in forum land to catch me on what might seem like a slip on my part. :lol: No one should infer from that part of the policy that there are never exceptions. I realize there is that customer out there who will wave that in my face. I've met this type too many times but it doesn't imply a privilege to defraud me. As @TallTayl stated, the market is always evolving and people are coming up with one new scam after another. If the customer yells loud enough, I'll cave and give him what he wants. I've worked in stores where the manager stood his ground and the customer stormed off saying "I'm never going to buy anything here again". I've also seen the same guy come back down the escalator minutes later with a shopping bag full of stuff he just bought upstairs in another department, like nothing had ever happened!

I like this type of discussion. It's fun. I could have avoided writing all this if I had just said that I would treat them the way I would want to be treated. That would have sounded really corny. Testing123 you said "I hope I'm being clear."  I'm really not sure I am now.:unsure::lol: I think I may have just unloaded the biggest bunch of BS ever written! 3:25 AM. I had no idea it was so late. I'll read anything anyone wants to say tomorrow. Goodnight. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 8:03 PM, birdcharm said:

Okay, let's say it wasn't made defective, but it arrived melted ... that's more realistic.

Things may have changed and people rarely go to the trouble, but as far as I know, the carrier is still ultimately responsible for damaged merchandise. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 8:03 PM, birdcharm said:

I think it's better to offer little sample scent sniffers so people could order those if they'd like to see what the f/o smells like before ordering.

That's an excellent idea. In fact, you are right in step with all the major fragrance sellers. Buy this $ amount and pick a free fragrance sample. I know it has worked on me. Some that I probably would have never thought of ordering, I've ended up ordering the 16 oz bottle over and over again. Some have become my favorites. Notice though, that they offer them for sale, and people do buy them also. They've taken what was a cost center (giving away a free sample) and turned it into a profit center. They make healthy profit from a little 1 oz. vial. Then you still pay freight. Give them away or sell them. Doesn't really matter to them because it works.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 4:24 PM, Jcandleattic said:

In this case, we would investigate and in most cases refund, or replace, but not exchange or have them return the product. 

I have to respectfully disagree with part of this sentence. I want the defective product out of the market place, off the streets and back in my care ASAP.  Remember the tainted Tylenol incident several years back? Johnson & Johnson had every employee they could round up out there gathering up every bottle of Tylenol they could find. It cost them billions of dollars but to leave it out there would have cost them even more. My sister worked for a division of J&J that was totally unrelated to Tylenol. She sold medical equipment to hospitals for a J&J owned company. They pulled her from her management duties in that division and had her, along with all her employees, out there on the streets picking up Tylenol. Yes, Johnson & Johnson is a huge company. Different scale from what we're doing but the same principal involved. ;)  

• Like 1

Ive never had 1 person ask to return and only had 2 issues with glass breakage which I told the person I wouldn't guarantee that they wouldn't break because she wanted the packages full to save on shipping........... I only ship insured so if that happens it's covered. 

I would offer a similar product if there were issues but they have to return the item at their expense

• Like 2

Y'all have gotten me thinking about my return policy since 3:25 AM today.  @Testing123 first started this interesting discussion Sunday at 8:37 PM.  On Monday 10/1/18, this is what I posted as my policy:  "Return Policy: You get to make the choice! We will gladly replace the item you purchased or refund the purchase price at no additional cost to you. We reserve the right to make replacements with merchandise of equal value if the product you purchased is no longer available."    Obviously, many of you thought I was nuts. I don't THINK I'm crazy, but I've always heard that a crazy person doesn't think he's crazy.:lol: The questions the forum asked me and my statements that the members quoted over the last few days convinced me that I didn't put much thought into it. You can read what I told Testing toward the top of this thread. Too long to put it here again.  I think I have the chronology of our discussion in the right order. The first sentence sounds cheesy, condescending and too vague. It leaves me too wide open to attack.  You get to make the choice!  That statement is gone! The other part I'm removing is at no additional cost to you.  As many of you have said and I agree, there ARE situations where the customer should bear some or all of the cost of shipping when it comes to returns and exchanges. I tried to explain that in my second very long paragraph then realized I had painted myself into a corner with my own policy. In some places, I actually contradicted myself. Here is how my policy will now read:

RETURN POLICY:  If you are not completely satisfied with an item you purchased, we will gladly replace the item or refund your money including original shipping charges. However, you may be responsible for any additional shipping charges related to the transaction. If you receive a product that is clearly defective, we will replace the item or refund your money (including original shipping charges). If we deem that the defective product must be returned to us, we will pay any shipping charges that may apply. In all cases that involve an exchange, we reserve the right to make replacements with merchandise of like kind and value if the original product is no longer available.

That's what I'm going to do even if I'm bucking the system. I may have to brush it up and shorten some of the wording to make it more concise. Probably so. As I've already said, there will be people who will abuse any policy, but I'll easily be able to see who is good and who has a bad trend. I'll simply have a businesslike conversation with the bad ones (with my paper trail in front of me) and explain why we can't do business like that. If they choose to shop elsewhere, I will have lost some money but I will also have done away with a bad debt. As far as my approach to defective merchandise, I absolutely will not let a customer lose out because of my mistakes.    

Edited by Quentin
Incomplete sentence.
  • Like 1