Favorite wax for melts

ScentedPleasurez

I have tested the palm and soy and palm mixed with soy. I have to say im not happy with the throw at all.

I know alot depends on the fo and the actual warmer. So i used my strong fo in the melts that i made and have came up flat.

It smells around the warmer but not throwing at all. They have cured over a week. 

Im doing the molded melts not the clamshells. 

Ive never worked with the 6006 but was told it was great wouldnt this be to soft ?????

Im going to be testing the ky133 next week along with 4627 and the palm & soy. 

Edited by ScentedPleasurez
Typo as usual. My fingers move slower thn my brain

6006 is way too soft to make molded tarts. I have used it in molds but it's very soft and doesn't hold up well like that. You would need to mix a pillar or votive wax with it. I prefer 4625 or 4794. You can also use either one of those by themselves for molded tarts. I do like KY 133 except it has ripples or bumps if I use it alone. Probably only bothers me but it does just the same LOL!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I prefer 4625 or 4794. You can also use either one of those by themselves for molded tarts. I do like KY 133 except it has ripples or bumps if I use it alone. Probably only bothers me but it does just the same LOL!

Ahh yes the 4794 i have a slab in my cart to try as well.

I heard and was reading that the ky133 did have a bumpy texture in finished products. What had caught my attention with the ky133 was the cure time and basically not being any compared to 2 weeks that i normally wait. 

Im going to read  about the 4625 as well.  Thank you 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

Ahh yes the 4794 i have a slab in my cart to try as well.

I heard and was reading that the ky133 did have a bumpy texture in finished products. What had caught my attention with the ky133 was the cure time and basically not being any compared to 2 weeks that i normally wait. 

Im going to read  about the 4625 as well.  Thank you 

You're very welcome! Also, 4625 and 4794 don't require much of a cure time either. They are all paraffin waxes and supposedly don't need cure time but it's been my experience that even paraffin wax does better when cured. I hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Belinda said:

You're very welcome! Also, 4625 and 4794 don't require much of a cure time either. They are all paraffin waxes and supposedly don't need cure time but it's been my experience that even paraffin wax does better when cured. I hope this helps!

My candles i cure for at least 2 weeks. Sometimes longer. When i make them up i make at least a case of each scent..

Melts is a new project for me, they are very popular and being near a college campus it gives an option to them since they are not allowed to have candles

• Like 1

I don't like soy at all for tarts. I have not been able to get good throw from it, and I don't have the patience to work with it. Palm has been working fantastic for me, using the pillar palm from CW. The throw lasts FOREVER.

I agree with @Belinda that a pillar parrafin wax is going to give you great results without a lot of fuss. I have tried the KY 133 and it wasn't my favorite, but it did throw well. The IGI 4625 is versatile and aesthetically pleasing, but comes in slabs so be prepared for that. I did like that the KY 133 was in granule form. If you are ok buying a custom blend, I really liked the Tart Wax Blend from The Candle Source. Good throw and super easy to work with.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

I don't like soy at all for tarts. I have not been able to get good throw from it, and I don't have the patience to work with it. Palm has been working fantastic for me, using the pillar palm from CW. The throw lasts FOREVER.

I agree with @Belinda that a pillar parrafin wax is going to give you great results without a lot of fuss. I have tried the KY 133 and it wasn't my favorite, but it did throw well. The IGI 4625 is versatile and aesthetically pleasing, but comes in slabs so be prepared for that. I did like that the KY 133 was in granule form. If you are ok buying a custom blend, I really liked the Tart Wax Blend from The Candle Source. Good throw and super easy to work with.

I've never tried Palm. Do you think the throw is a lot better than paraffin? I love the wax from TCS too! I just hate that you can only get it from one supplier. It's my favorite wax for clams but I like to mix 4625 with it for shapes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Palm has been working fantastic for me, using the pillar palm from CW. The throw lasts FOREVER.

My palm is glass glow i believe or either feather i cant remember. Lol. I figured i would just use up what i had. To tell you how long ive had it, i ordered from candle science. Lol. I gave some samples to one of my loyal customers and she loves it, i guess its just my nose ir warmer.

I to do not want to be dependent on one supplier for wax. Even though yhe price RE has isnt to bad.

I read about the tart wax from the candle source and i seen that so many were complaining that one time it would be pellets, next time slab. That would pee me off. I dont care if its pellets, slabs or whatever but getting it 2 different ways would have me wondering if i even had the same wax.

I have actually stumbled across something completly by accident. Im going to test it out over the next few days and see my end results. 

I will say its with 4627 and an error on my part but i chopped a piece off and put it on in my warmer and it was super thrower. My luck i wont be able to copy it. 😂😂😂

On 10/3/2018 at 6:56 PM, ShelleyF said:

Just buy the foil cups and use them as molds.

I like some of the designs on the molds that I ordered.

My warmers that I sell have the glass dish and not the hotplate. 

I have my hands in a few different projects atm. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

I like some of the designs on the molds that I ordered.

My warmers that I sell have the glass dish and not the hotplate. 

I have my hands in a few different projects atm. 

Lol I understand. I do too. I'm going to try soy Scoopable as I have a lot of soy I'm trying to get rid of. Does it matter what soy it is? I have several kinds lol and I bet it had to cure forever right?

• Like 1

Just now, ShelleyF said:

Lol I understand. I do too. I'm going to try soy Scoopable as I have a lot of soy I'm trying to get rid of. Does it matter what soy it is? I have several kinds lol and I bet it had to cure forever right?

I use the cups on the dish and the hot plate warmers. I have about 10 different burners. I test on all of them switching up. I have a potpourri one too but hate it but gets too hot so I don't use it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I am not a soy fan but I got on the soy hype train years ago. So I can't recommend on that. 

On 9/29/2018 at 8:12 PM, Sarah S said:

So you like a all palm wax then ?

i never tried all palm because it didn't hold as much FO 

I like the palm a lot for tarts. In fact, the more I use it, the more I like it. 

It doesn't hold as much FO, but for most fragrances, 6-7% is plenty to get strong throw. And they last forever. There are some fragrances that do better in it than others, but I think you can say that about pretty much any wax.

It does require a fairly hot melter, the hot plates work best, but I've gotten good results from illuminated warmers with glass bowls, metal bowls, and fair results from full size ceramic bowls.

I think the mold melts are cute but people that buy for me don't care about that. Also noticed on eBay most people just want melts they don't care about shapes either it seems. For those of you that use the molded melts do yall sell them at fairs or something? I think it's really cute and I wish people would like it around here but they don't.I had some cute pumpkins and only one person wanted some of those. Everybody else just wanted regular melts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I think the mold melts are cute but people that buy for me don't care about that. Also noticed on eBay most people just want melts

The cups that you recently purchased are nice and I like them but aren't cost effective for me to purchase them. I do not sell on ebay, they would have to be priced to high and most likely I wouldn't sell any if using eBay because by the time you put your cost into ingredients and packaging plus eBay fees and shipping you end up with barely anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

The cups that you recently purchased are nice and I like them but aren't cost effective for me to purchase them. I do not sell on ebay, they would have to be priced to high and most likely I wouldn't sell any if using eBay because by the time you put your cost into ingredients and packaging plus eBay fees and shipping you end up with barely anything.

I do understand what you were saying.It's just that I get my oils for such great prices that I can make a lot of money doing this I believe. If  not then I'll go back to the other way lol but I really do hope it works for me.I made a ton of them today and they are so beautiful and perfect. I'm making the buyer pay the shipping.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

I already have orders coming in from my testers and their friends and still have 2 waxes that I want to test. 

Know your market and what is wanted.if they don't want the shapes work on something else. 

The problem is is that I love the shapes though. I just don't know many people that care about the shapes. They keep telling me that it's going in the melter so they don't care. I live in a little hick town though so people don't want to pay a lot for that. It makes me sad but I don't know what to do about it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ShelleyF said:

The problem is is that I love the shapes though. I just don't know many people that care about the shapes. They keep telling me that it's going in the melter so they don't care. I live in a little hick town though so people don't want to pay a lot for that. It makes me sad but I don't know what to do about it.

From what I've seen the melts are very popular  I'm only getting into them as an alternative for candles.

Different ways of packaging plus how you market them as well I guess. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ShelleyF said:

do understand what you were saying.It's just that I get my oils for such great prices

Where do u get your oils?

I wouldn't focus on things that people aren't interested in. Maybe an alternative would be getting a carrier and do warming oils?? I am doing those as well

• Like 2