Vybar and UV Absorb

Hopie

So, I'll soon be able to start melting more wax...I bought some Vybar and UV absorb, since all of our sales are at outdoor venues...but there are no instructions on how much I should use, they just came in bags with no instructions. How much of each should I use, say in 1 lb of wax, without "locking up the scent"? 

Remember, there are two types of vybar, but I always seem to forget which one to use with which type of wax and have to refer to my notes.  Only a small amount is needed, I think it's about .5 to 2% max weight or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per pound.  Someone else can probably make sure you've got the right type for you wax if you don't already know, which you probably do, and also about the other additive, as I'm not really so much help!  😴

I have a product called Polybar, which I believe is similar to Vybar. It comes in these flat little round chips and I find them awkward to measure since they don't sit nice and level in a measuring spoon. I have been using about 10 mls, which I think is 2 teaspoons per pound of wax. This might be too much from what I've been reading, but so far I have had pretty good throw when I add enough FO. In the beginning of this candle making I was under scenting. Probably best to not take advice from me! I use it in IGI 1245 paraffin.

Vybar 103 (pillars/tarts) and Vybar 260 (containers): .5-2%. I think the most common recommendation is 1/2 teaspoon per lb. Amount can vary depending on how much FO is used.

Vybar 343 is used in mottled waxes and pillars at 1% (as suggested by Candlewic). It helps preserve and enhance mottling while preventing sweating caused by the FO.

Vybar, polybar, and bipol-x are similar if not the same. They're polymers. Vybar is an opacifier, hardener, and oil binder. Polybar is similar and used mostly in paraffin as a hardener, I think. Bipol-x has similar properties as well but is most often used in the UK as an FO binder.

UV absorbers/stabilizers depend on the supplier. There are some very powerful UV additives that can treat 10-100lbs with just a tiny bit. Candlemaking Supplies has one - UVasorb 3c - with a suggested usage of 0.1%, 1/10 teaspoon, per lb. That's not easy to measure. The two over at Candlewic are used in a two-part system at 0.001% (I know, I had to do a double take as well), so about 1/2 teaspoon per 10lbs. Ugh. Break out the lab scale. Candlescience's is a bit easier to use at 0.25-0.5% or 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per lb. Since suppliers don't bother to include what their UV stabilizers are made of, it really depends on where you got it and what their suggested usage rate is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Kerven said:

Vybar 103 (pillars/tarts) and Vybar 260 (containers)

Thanks for posting that ... I'm going to copy that into notes that I can find more easily!  I've only used one of them, so I seem to forget the number/code of the other one.  Plus, there is another brand that called "Polyboost" and the numbers for that one are 130 and 165, which only seems to have made it harder for me to remember the other vybar codes for some odd reason!

Polyboost's numbers indicate its melt point, I think. So, Polyboost 130 melts at 130F and Polyboost 165 has a melt point of 165F. Both are polymers as well. I did see a note that Polyboost helps to disperse colorant, which I didn't see with the other additives.

A good rule of thumb is that polymer additives for use in softer waxes (container waxes) have lower "model" numbers than their counterparts.

Edited by Kerven

• 4 months later...
On 9/21/2018 at 7:42 PM, Hopie said:

...I bought some Vybar and UV absorb, since all of our sales are at outdoor venues...but there are no instructions on how much I should use, they just came in bags with no instructions. How much of each should I use, say in 1 lb of wax, without "locking up the scent"? 

I know, I hate that too when instructions are not included or things aren't even labeled. If you buy additives from The Candle Makers Store, they include instructions on the bags. Even if you don't buy from them you can go to their site and zoom up on the product picture and may be able to read the instructions or download a copy of the picture and read it.

https://thecandlemakersstore.com/candle-making/candle-making-additives/uv-inhibitor-additive.html

https://thecandlemakersstore.com/candle-making/candle-making-additives/vybar-103.html

https://thecandlemakersstore.com/candle-making/candle-making-additives/vybar-260.html