You know you're a chandler when...

Over the course of a year, a minute is a minute measure of time.

I'm not content with this content.

I object to that object.

I need to read what I read again.

Excuse me, but there's no excuse for this.

When I burned that double wicked candle, the results were wicked.

Someone should wind this post up and toss it into the wind.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Read a potter post elsewhere this morning that can apply to chandling - I think. 

Opening a glaze load is like Christmas! Opening a bisque load is like leaving the dentist with no cavities. Both are satisfying, but one more hella pleasurable than the other. 

• Haha 1

Why English is so hard to learn (a poem about plurals) 

We’ll begin with a box, and the plural is boxes,
But the plural of ox should be oxen, not oxes.
Then one fowl is goose, but two are called geese,
Yet the plural of moose should never be meese.

You may find a lone mouse or a whole lot of mice,
But the plural of house is houses, not hice.
If the plural of man is always called men,
Why shouldn’t the plural of pan be called pen?

The cow in the plural may be cows or kine,
But the plural of vow is vows, not vine.
And I speak of a foot, and you show me your feet,
But I give you a boot — would a pair be called beet?

If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth,
Why shouldn’t the plural of booth be called beeth?
Then one may be that, and three may be those,
Yet the plural of hat would never be hose.
We speak of a brother and also of brethren,
But though we say mother, we never say methren.
So our English, I think you will agree,
Is the trickiest language you ever did see.

There are several along this same track with how words that are spelled different sound the same, but as AJ pointed out above, how words spelled the same are pronounced differently. 

Then of course there's always tomb, comb, bomb, that you would think would rhyme, but are not even close. 

It's a crazy language for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/21/2018 at 1:13 PM, Jcandleattic said:

There are several along this same track with how words that are spelled different sound the same,

And don't forget words that are spelled the SAME but have different meanings. If I write down the word "read" and just hand it to you on a piece of paper, what is it that I mean.  Or how about "lead"? Am I referring to a soft metal or to its other meaning?  I had a German teacher in college that had so much fun with things like this. She wasn't an American native trying to teach us German but was the real thing. Married an American soldier, moved here when he came home from World War II. She would laugh hysterically at things like this. She would be rofl when she would talk about some of our figures of speech such as "It's raining cats and dogs".  That was a biggee for her. Our word "pond", as in a very small body of water, would start her giggling.

7 hours ago, Quentin said:

And don't forget words that are spelled the SAME but have different meanings. If I write down the word "read" and just hand it to you on a piece of paper, what is it that I mean.  Or how about "lead"? Am I referring to a soft metal or to its other meaning?  I had a German teacher in college that had so much fun with things like this. She wasn't an American native trying to teach us German but was the real thing. Married an American soldier, moved here when he came home from World War II. She would laugh hysterically at things like this. She would be rofl when she would talk about some of our figures of speech such as "It's raining cats and dogs".  That was a biggee for her. Our word "pond", as in a very small body of water, would start her giggling.

:embarassed2: Uh oh. Somebody already said it before me. I should have read everything first.:smile:

• 1 month later...